PDA

View Full Version : Segmented downloads.

Brian
10-09-2002, 09:55 AM
Can any networking-type guru hacker people here tell me why segmented downloads (when you download the same file from multiple people) are occasionally corrupted?

RoD
10-09-2002, 11:32 AM
Sometimes the segments can intersect one another, in terms of speaking, and change the original file during transfer. Hope that helps.

Brian
10-09-2002, 12:23 PM
oh. Why doesn't that happen when youre downloading 2 different files at once?

RoD
10-09-2002, 12:33 PM
Because two seperate files use two seperate names and two seperate paths to the destination.

These are my understandings of this anyway.

BMJ
10-09-2002, 01:11 PM
I hate to say it, but Ride-or-Die is right :p (hehe)

Remember, it only takes 1 byte to corrupt a file. And segmented downloads increase the possibilty of there being a bad byte(s) by having to put segments together.

If you want to prevent corruptions in segmented downloads, increase the 'fall-back' settings in whatever program you are using (you can do this in GetRight) whereby if it were say, X bytes, a proceeding segment will start downloading/writing X bytes before the end of the last segment.

Shadow12345
10-09-2002, 01:11 PM
Uhh file corruption can happen when downloading any file. It just depends on how easy it is for the signal to get interrupted I think. That would explain why modems that have to convert the signal are more prone to corrupting files. I don't think DSL adapters or Cable 'modems' have as much converting of signals, but if something does go wrong with dsl and cable u can actually download it again :)