PDA

View Full Version : I got a new job!!!

Fool
10-06-2001, 05:17 PM
Some of you may remember I was looking for a Help Desk type of job. I found something even better. I will be an intern working with the programmers. For the first few months I'll be doing testing of the system, really to learn it. Then I will shadow and follow the main programmers around like a puppy soaking up every ouce of knowledge I can. If you can't tell, I'm very excited! I went on a tour of the building today. It was very laid back and interesting. Not may people were there today but the data room guys. They were huddled around a PC watching a DVD because the systems were fine. One guy was playing UT on the companies UT server (DS3 connections). And I was walking around with the VP of the company (my neighbor) so they wouldn't be jerking around with him in the room. I asked if they did that alot, and the UT guy said if all systems and servers are ok then they can do whatever.

So I'll get to work around 4 hours after school M-F making $11/hour. He said after I grad college (2 year school) I'd probably come in full time making around 35k as a Junior Programmer. So what do you guys think?:D

-KEN-
10-06-2001, 05:26 PM
Wow, that's so great! I so wish that I could get a job like that, but I don't think they offer them to freshman, huh? DAMN. That sounds just like I've heard a lot of companies do - I've always wondered if there're actually any campuses like the one in the movie AntiTrust. I don't care if they're stealing code, I just wanna work in a place like that! :) What's the name of the company? I wanna intern there! hehe...

Garfield
10-06-2001, 05:42 PM
Yeh, that's pretty good. I wouldn't mind a deal like that.

> They were huddled around a PC watching a DVD because the systems were fine.

That's awesome! I can't believe that. That must be the perfect job if I've ever heard of one.

--Garfield

Witch_King
10-06-2001, 08:28 PM
Yeah I have a job as a security guard which will allow me to read programming books half the time.

I intend to get a big screen tv, an x-box, and a lap top computer by mid 2002.

EvenFlow
10-06-2001, 08:33 PM
Well done Fool, hope things work out well for you. The same goes for Witch_King. BTW how is your novel going?

Witch_King
10-06-2001, 09:12 PM
This week I was moving furniture into my new house. Actually I have the full basement suite, not the full house. My parents have the upstairs but the house is quite large. I haven't worked on my novel but I have everything set up here so that I can get down to business. I figured out the plot and the setting. I need to asemble the main character information. I think that the idea for the story has a lot of potential but I need to make some decisions about the exact way I want the plot to unfold. Infact I have been thinking about this story for a while but now I'm finally in a comfortable home and situation so that I can get started with it. This story will involve doing some research. I don't want to go into too much technical details about characters knowledge and the setting however I believe that some detail is important and I think that even horror novels should cantain a certain degree of realism. The realism can be entertaining, it can set a mood for an event and it can foreshadow the solution that is needed to thwart the eminent evil. I definately want to use techniques of gothic horror.

no-one
10-06-2001, 09:33 PM
>
I've always wondered if there're actually any campuses like the one in the movie AntiTrust. I don't care if they're stealing code, I just wanna work in a place like that!
<

work schmerk, campus schmapus, I just want to work with Racheal Leigh Cook.

Witch_King,

Good Luck on the novel.

Fool
10-06-2001, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by -KEN-
I've always wondered if there're actually any campuses like the one in the movie AntiTrust.

I know a guy that works at MS (security for XP) and he said that MS looks alot like what they showed in the movie. Pretty cool, huh?:D

EvenFlow
10-06-2001, 09:51 PM
I just want to work with Racheal Leigh Cook.

Oh yeah that would be nice. Might go and take some acting classes, get cast in her next film. Should only take me 5 years :p

Witch_King
10-06-2001, 10:10 PM
Good Luck on the novel.

Thanks. When it gets somewhere I'll put some excerpts on my website, and if I can get it published I'll send out some copies.

no-one
10-06-2001, 10:18 PM
>
Oh yeah that would be nice. Might go and take some acting classes, get cast in her next film. Should only take me 5 years
<

that is of course if you could beat me to it.:D

Cheeze-It
10-06-2001, 10:32 PM
I was an intern once. 6 months at a Gameboy/PC
game developer. The president of the company
even wrote me a reference letter. Nice guy...

Ah, sweet memories. Well, semi-sweet. I don't
think a lot of the people liked me... :(

-KEN-
10-07-2001, 10:12 AM
Sign me up for MS then :) *runs at the sound of an angry mob*

Fordy
10-07-2001, 10:20 AM
>>When it gets somewhere I'll put some excerpts on my website, and if I can get it published I'll send out some copies.

Hey.. out of interest...what kind of book is it?

You've mentioned Horror and Fantasy and a few authors you like, but what genre would it most easily fit into?

I'm not trying to be nosey...I'm interested. Any sneak peeks at the plot?

Xterria
10-07-2001, 02:17 PM
I don't
think a lot of the people liked me...
oh now come on you poor poor inoccent baby now you know no one thinks that about you....

Witch_King
10-07-2001, 03:31 PM
Hey.. out of interest...what kind of book is it?

I like fantasy and horror. For this book I want to combine the two, however I want to do it in a way that the book can take place in the present modern world. This is not easy however I have a plot that accomplishes all this.

This week and next I have to prepare for college final exams. I am certain on several of the details of the book. It will have to wait a few weeks but I will have one or two excerpts by the end of October. I don't want to reveal the plot yet. I know where the setting will take place, the main protagonist, the confict, the antagonist(s). There are a lot of details involving the people in the novel. I intend to get serious about it as soon as this semester is over. I'm going to make a website for the book and update it every month.

Basically I'm a full time student right now. In two and a half weeks this term is over. Next term I'm only part time because I am going to work full time. I'll be working as a security guard doing mostly graveyard shifts. I'll have hours and hours that I can spend studying for 2 school courses and writing this novel. This will give me plenty of time and also the discipline I'll require to actually write a novel. I also intend to learn C++. I'm in a C++ course now and have been introduced to all the main concepts however I want to go into a lot more depth. That's basically my life for the next few years. I hope I can write that novel in 10-12 months. I believe that it would be quite an accomplishment if someone from here was able to produce a novel or something. I've actually been thinking of doing this for several years. Time to write it.

Fordy
10-07-2001, 04:08 PM
>>I like fantasy and horror. For this book I want to combine the two, however I want to do it in a way that the book can take place in the present modern world.

That kind of gives me an image of the stuff Clive Barker was doing in the late 80s/early 90s.

dirkduck
10-07-2001, 04:10 PM
thats great fool! how old are you anyway? im still to young to get a job :(