PDA

View Full Version : Old posts?

Fountain
10-06-2002, 05:50 PM
Hello folks.

In your humblest opinions what would you say is an expiry date for a new thread.

On my travels today I have been 'moaned at' for replying to a thread that was posted " 09-27-2002 09:48 PM ".

This to me (not an every day visitor) is not an old thread.

OK, so the thread is about how old does the message have to be for you not to reply to it.

I believe if they are not there to be replied to, why keep them? Why keep them and keep them open even? Mods, why dont you close them over a month old etc?

Thoughts would be nice.

Then again, I think I was moaned at by a 'stormtrooper'-that says it all.

red_baron
10-06-2002, 05:54 PM
i reply to 1 year old threads :D all depends what your definition of 'old' is. (bad grammar :) )

MethodMan
10-06-2002, 05:57 PM
> Then again, I think I was moaned at by a 'stormtrooper'-that says it all.

Well Ive seen people do what you have done, and the mods said just let the threads die, so I was just letting you know what they do. I consider something on the next page an old thread.

Fountain
10-06-2002, 05:58 PM
Cheers Red_Baron-i appreciate the reply. I did not think 1 week was too old!

Fountain
10-06-2002, 05:59 PM
But is that not the way your options are set up? Something on my next page may not be the same as yours?

And lots of new threads may have been started at once, pushing to a new page if the replies were equal?

Just a thought.

-KEN-
10-06-2002, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by MethodMan
> Then again, I think I was moaned at by a 'stormtrooper'-that says it all.

Well Ive seen people do what you have done, and the mods said just let the threads die, so I was just letting you know what they do. I consider something on the next page an old thread.

"Monkey see, monkey do", eh? - leave it to the mods and I (::smirks like an ******* who's been on the boards for far too long::)

MethodMan
10-06-2002, 06:03 PM
Like I said in the other thread

Ill leave this matter alone.

Fountain
10-06-2002, 06:11 PM
OOhh we like a bit of monkey see etc....

Serious point though-why not just delete the old threads? save money right?

Or archive them or something.

Not 1 week though hehe.

Prelude
10-06-2002, 06:19 PM
>In your humblest opinions what would you say is an expiry date for a new thread.
If I have to go to the second page, the thread is dead.

-Prelude

lightatdawn
10-06-2002, 06:20 PM
>>If I have to go to the second page, the thread is dead.

Same here.

I would have to say that anything over a couple of days old shouldnt be dragged back up from the dead. We might (and have I believe) close it if we saw that happening.

RoD
10-06-2002, 06:27 PM
i say its never dead till someone has nuthing more to say. With me around i don't see that happen'n haha

adrianxw
10-06-2002, 06:29 PM
I routinely close polls that are more than a few days past their "use by" date, as simply voting in a poll bumps it. Other threads, well, they may be of use if someone bothers to use the search option to see if something has been asked before, (gasp, shock, horror - well, on can dream).

>>> If I have to go to the second page, the thread is dead.

Depends on your page length selection and the number of times a day your onboard. It is a shame that good threads die in this manner when dropped off the bottom by spam and junk.

-KEN-
10-06-2002, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by adrianxw
I routinely close polls that are more than a few days past their "use by" date, as simply voting in a poll bumps it. Other threads, well, they may be of use if someone bothers to use the search option to see if something has been asked before, (gasp, shock, horror - well, on can dream).

>>> If I have to go to the second page, the thread is dead.

Depends on your page length selection and the number of times a day your onboard. It is a shame that good threads die in this manner when dropped off the bottom by spam and junk.

Exactly. Usually for me, though, if I need to go to the third page then I won't even bother. Well....even THAT depends, but the times I would reply are all major exceptions to any rule I may or may not have.

:bonk: //stupid lack of smileys

face_master
10-06-2002, 07:07 PM
Why doesn't cboard support all of the cool smilies like on FD?

>> It is a shame that good threads die in this manner when dropped off the bottom by spam and junk. <<

You can thank me for that :)

master5001
10-23-2002, 05:11 PM
I have nothing constructive to add to this thread. However, since this post is kinda old I should add to it :)

The first threads I look at are ones that have no replies. Sometimes that requires me to go back a couple of pages. Ironically enough, most times that I answer a question that is a month or two old I will get much thanks from the person who may asked in the first place. Many times, if a person's question isn't answered right away it means that people didn't know the answer off the top of their head. This eventually leads to them being left in the dark. I say answer old questions, and rekindle old discussions.

Sentaku senshi
10-23-2002, 05:43 PM
For the GD board, I would say anything that is not more then 2 day's old is what I would reply to.

As for the rest of the boards, I had a question that no one answered and thus it fell into the void of post. Someone did evently reply to the post, though by then I already knew what the problem was by then, (because I asked at gamedev), but I was thankful some one tried to do what they can on a post no one else seemed to be able to answer.

Stoned_Coder
10-23-2002, 06:52 PM
I would say that if you have a question to ask that you think is half answered in an old thread found through the search facility then you could always reference the old thread in the new thread with a simple link. That appeases everyone.

dbaryl
10-23-2002, 07:38 PM
I for on think that it's actually better to dig up something that was started say, a week ago then start a new thread. This will have everything grouped together in one thread, as well as eliminate replies such as: "this has been asked before."

If there is a time that the mods think the thread should get no more replies (such as "what's your age thread #1000000"), then simply close it.

S_C, I never even thought of that, thanks :)