PDA

View Full Version : Your tech tales haha

RoD
10-02-2002, 12:34 PM
Ok i figured i'd share my two best tech tales, both sadly enough from the same lady, my COMP SCI TEACHER HAHAHAH: Share yours if u have any!

First case, i built her pc for her, then i get a phone call:

Me: Hello.

Her: The pc you built me is broken.

Me: O? Thats odd, what seems to be the problem.

Her: Your cup holder is a joke.

Me: I don't have a cup holder....i'm slightly confused, whats wrong with the pc??

her: I told you, its the cup holder.

me: um i am really confused, could u please give me the error message?

Her: there is no error, i put my coffee on it and it broke!

(now i think i see the problem, and its hard not to laugh)

me: Please describe what it looks like.

Her: its white...it has a yellow light that comes on when i open it, and its got a coutout for my cup // i must note hers has an inner - indent for minicds.

me: That sounds like your cd rom....

her: OOOOOO thats the cd rom!! I was wondering why i didn't have one!

me: ......

Second tale, shes on vacation with her laptop:

me: Hello, how can i help ya?

Her: Well i have a dumb question

me: (i bet you do) Ok what is it?

Her: Ok, if i save a document on my pc while i'm here in florida, will it still be there when i get home?

me: Think about this logically (she used to say this to me ALOT)

her: that was a dumb question wasn't it?

me:more then you may ever know.

ober
10-02-2002, 12:52 PM
I'm not trying to sound like a jerk here... but if you haven't heard those before, then you haven't been around long... I'd be tempted to say you may have even copied those.

I'd give some of mine, but I'm lazy and don't feel like typing them out.

Some irks of mine, however:

1) "How do I download the file from this disk?"

2) "I only have 5 gig of free space... should I try to take something off to free up some space?"

3) People that backup their files on floppies despite having their files on a server that is backed up nightly.

Cshot
10-02-2002, 12:59 PM
Here's a true story. I bought a new PC from this small vendor 5-6 years ago and need to bring it back to rewire some cables inside since they got it wrong. They sealed the case with their warranty sticker so I was reluctant to open it since I didn't know how to build my own PC back then.

Well anyways their store operated between the hours of 9 to 6. So I came in around 4ish and I came in to get some help. I waited about half an hour and then these guys said I would have to wait until 5 o'clock because they fasted every day from 4-5 and were not allowed to work during those hours. Well this isn't really a tech story but it stuck in my mind. I'm not bagging on their beliefs but they should not falsely advertise store hours.

EDIT
- I agree with you there, those are really old. Including the one of the lady complaining her computer wouldn't turn on and the tech asked her to check the connectors in the back. She said she couldn't see it because there's a power outage.

BMJ
10-02-2002, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by ober5861
3) People that backup their files on floppies despite having their files on a server that is backed up nightly. Gaaaaah! Yes! I still have people who ask me to explicitly backup their accounts onto "floppies" (?), when it clearly states on the site that all accounts have "nightly backups" onto our monster safe-storage box... some people... :mad:

salvelinus
10-02-2002, 01:20 PM
It never hurts to have backups. They could at least do it themselves to floppy. What if the server crashes? A lot of files are stored on the server in the first place, so backing up to floppy is really a form of backing up the server, to a small extent.

Strider
10-02-2002, 01:24 PM
Here is one for all of those Unix/Linux users out there.

Recently, a co-worker decided to hold some "brown bag" sessions on Unix and shell scripting. In an attempt to display the functionality of the finger command (displays information about local and remote users) he stated, "OK now I want everybody to finger Monica."

He only realized what he had said after much laughter from the class followed by flushed looks from Monica.

David

Cshot
10-02-2002, 01:37 PM
ROFL, that's classic.

MethodMan
10-02-2002, 01:49 PM
I dont personally know any tech stories except this one, which isnt really a tech story. My computer teacher had a window to change the text or something in some word processing program. She wanted to get to the actual document, and tried to click on it, but you cant until you close the dialog box. She started to complain it was the mouse, and she needed a mouse pad.

She just didnt know what she was doing.

And how can you take those stories as your own ride-or-die, those are classics.

salvelinus
10-02-2002, 01:55 PM
A couple from my wife...

She once called the head of MIS for the hospital to her office because her "screen was frozen" and she'd spent an hour trying to fix it. Everything was fine after he clicked the little 'x' in the maximized window's upper right corner.

After that, she started calling me. She could see two windows, but one covered up most of the other. I explained how to close, minimize, or just plain move the foreground window. This was after another hour's work on her part, and help from her partner.

Another time, at home, she was about to put a floppy in the CD drive. My daughter, 3 at the time, kept telling her "No Mom! Not there!", but my wife kept insisting she knew what she was doing. Somehow she actually got it in there, and I had to take the machine apart to get it out.

She's not dumb, has a masters degree, and is much better with computers now, but those were funny at the time.

RoD
10-02-2002, 01:59 PM
And how can you take those stories as your own ride-or-die, those are classics

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk here... but if you haven't heard those before, then you haven't been around long... I'd be tempted to say you may have even copied those.

whoah dudes i didn't expect that sorta reply. I'd be curious as to see where u ahve seen these particular ones before because they happend, to me. If you don't believe me i will more then willingly give u her email, tho i'm sure she wouldn't appreciate that too much.

kermi3
10-02-2002, 02:03 PM
People that backup their files on floppies despite having their files on a server that is backed up nightly.

I don't know about that one. I'm not a big fan of trusting large srevers even if they are backed-up. If I have a very important file i will usually save on network (twice if I'm bored :)) and on floppy...and I've it's extremely important (cause i like loosing things), or once again I want to waste time, I'll e-mail it home.

salvelinus
10-02-2002, 02:16 PM
Well, the cd coaster I read several years ago, I've seen it on some websites as well.
The other one I hadn't heard.
Maybe she was pulling your leg.

RoD
10-02-2002, 02:19 PM
nope, she brought me the pc and the tray was snapped, i replaced it for her.

Betazep
10-02-2002, 02:36 PM
I went to my dad's company to work on a computer issue they were having with a satellite uplink. I went through the gateway computer they had configured and noticed they didn't have any sort of firewall.

A netstat showed a bunch of open ports in the listening and connected states. I downloaded a copy of moosoft's trojan removal utility figuring they had a few. Not to mention a virus or two.

Their "computer" guy was looking over my shoulder as I was installing it...

"What's that."

"Trojan removal util... you don't have a firewall. How long has this box been up?"

"About two and half years."

"hmmm"

I run the program... 37 trojans.

"You really should consider a software or hardware firewall."

"What's that," their 'computer' guy says.

I just shook my head.

(Note: Their computer guy works there as a regular worker. He just happens to 'know more' than anyone else that works there when it comes to computers. Which isn't saying much for every one else either. :))

RoD
10-02-2002, 02:48 PM
LOL thats a good one, who knows that those ppl got a hold of haha

Shadow
10-02-2002, 02:52 PM
My computer concepts teacher said that Windows XP doesn't have a command prompt. She was shocked/happy when I told her how to bring it up.:rolleyes:

It's sad that so many kids have to teach themselves.

TechWins
10-02-2002, 04:18 PM
My brother has a ton of funny stories from his work (doint help desk stuff) about some of the callers...

One time he had a drunk guy call him and my brother wound up having to help the guy find his keyboard. He was like "Sir, sit right infront of you computer and look down and your keyboard will be right there". Eh it's funnier when my brother tells his stories, but I can still laugh at them in my head.

Shadow
10-02-2002, 04:41 PM
A lady held a picture up to the monitor screen thinking that's how photos are scanned.
..We're not _quiet_ that far yet.

True story:
Someone wrote me a check (50 USD) for saving their PC.
For one, it was old, and needed to be put to sleep, but, their wishes.
In a day or 2 I had the machine running smoothly again.

Another person, get this, PAID me to.....install a program for them@!$
I told them I couldn't take money for that, but they insisted.

There are just so many of those stories.
I think they really should create the sticker I heard about: "Intel inside. Idiot outside".

RoD
10-02-2002, 04:44 PM
yea i had that sticker as ym Half life spray logo haha

they do make it, i forget who sells it tho

salvelinus
10-02-2002, 04:59 PM
Ya know, it's easy to make fun of computer no knowthings, I did it myself above. But do we geeks know everything? In high school I used to have a 67 Mustang. I could work on that engine. Today I have a 94 Explorer. It's a half hour or more job to replace the air filter.
It's fun to read dummy stories, just realize we're all dummies somewhere. :)

RoD
10-02-2002, 05:04 PM
It's a half hour or more job to replace the air filter.

lmao i can rebuild a whole 350 in 2 days, but i spent and hour on the clutch cable on my 4wheeler lmao

kevinalm
10-02-2002, 09:52 PM
Here's one, I think I read it in a Que computer repair text.

Telephone rings.

Hello, XYZ Computers.

I'm having a problem with my floppy drive. Is it true that you can format an entire box of floppies at one time.

Well Ma'am, they come preformatted but yes, you can.

That's strange. I can only get four in the slot, then it gets too tight to..........;)

novacain
10-03-2002, 01:03 AM
>>People that backup their files on floppies despite having their files on a server that is backed up nightly.

Since one of my customers turned up at their office to find ALL the furiture, computers and files gone, just a few paper on the floor.

Without the offsite backup they would have lost all their work for the last few years (as an accountant).

Bugger the floppies though, I use a CD-RW as my projects zipped come in at over 100Mb.

RoD
10-03-2002, 11:38 AM
Not really a tech tale but kinda funny:

Were sitting in comp sci 2, keep in mind its comp sci TWO. wnet like this:

X: Miss my programs not compiling!
X2: Whats the error?

X: Error? I dunno it jus keeps running my text all over then i put it back and it does it again.

I kindly pointed out that he was useing NOTEPAD and not VC++ lmao.

As for the text movement he was turning "word wrap" on and off....i mean how ****ing dumb do u get!

kermi3
10-03-2002, 12:22 PM
It's sad that so many kids have to teach themselves.

The important question may be where would we be if kids didn't teach themselves computers?

RoD
10-03-2002, 12:28 PM
The important question may be where would we be if kids didn't teach themselves computers?

pumping gas.

Govtcheez
10-03-2002, 01:19 PM
> pumping gas.

I'd sure sppreciate it if more people did this - I had to pump gas in the rain last night (after I left the gym, so I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt)... That sucks - the pump seems to slow down when you're in a hurry or a crappy mood, too.