PDA

View Full Version : What's the best program you have ever made?

Kevin.j
09-30-2002, 11:47 AM
What's the best program that you have made, be it in any language, what's the one that you are most proud of?

Mine - since i'm fairly new to c, i haven't made anything i'm proud of without the aid of a book or a post, i'll use a vb example. I made a visual basic program (using API) to change the from name when using 'net send'.

What's yours?

Regards,
Kevin

ober
09-30-2002, 11:56 AM
My thesis... which involves actually about 10 VB/eVB apps... one for data collection at electric substations, and the other as a member information tool that uses Sql Server CE to display and search through a member DB.

I'm considering it a software suite, so it's all sort of one thing.

Govtcheez
09-30-2002, 11:59 AM
I wrote a program in VB to play rock, paper, scissors.

Seriously, I helped write a DMS a couple years ago. (edit: It was in Paradox and VB)

FillYourBrain
09-30-2002, 12:19 PM
1. an mp3 player for a company that is now gone.
2. an activex control for display of 3d vectors streamed from a server that we also wrote.

Cshot
09-30-2002, 12:19 PM
Off topic in reply to cheez:
check this out http://www.worldrps.com/index.html

maes
09-30-2002, 12:20 PM
Still working on actualy.
It will be an mp3 player (It should end up like winamp more or less). It will have an RF remote control .So I can control it from my bed or an other room.

But I had to put this project on hold because I have too much other stuff I have to do first. :(

Govtcheez
09-30-2002, 12:21 PM
That's great, CShot - just goes to show there's a society for everything...

maes
09-30-2002, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by FillYourBrain
1. an mp3 player for a company that is now gone.
2. an activex control for display of 3d vectors streamed from a server that we also wrote.
What did you use to play your mp3?
I'm useing directx.

FillYourBrain
09-30-2002, 12:33 PM
the company had purchased the rights to use a bunch of source code from somewhere. MP3 to Wav conversion mostly. Then we played through DirectSound if it was available and if not we used Windows sound APIs.

edit: the MP3 to wav was in small chunks, not the entire file in case you were wondering.

RoD
09-30-2002, 12:38 PM
HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLO WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRLLLLLLLLDDDDDDD WOOT

lmfao

BMJ
09-30-2002, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Cshot
Off topic in reply to cheez:
check this out http://www.worldrps.com/index.html OMG... that is unbelievable
Now I know what my purpose in life is... to become the greatest RPS player in the world!

*runs away*

Cshot
09-30-2002, 01:25 PM
OMG... that is unbelievable
Now I know what my purpose in life is... to become the greatest RPS player in the world!

*runs away*
But first you must know how to use gambits such as the avalanche and crescendo. More importantly you need to master the paper sandwich!

Hammer
09-30-2002, 01:27 PM
... and don't forget to read the safety info before playing:

1. Safety First! Always ensure that all players have removed sharp jewellery and watches
Sounds like a blood sport to me! :D

TravisS
09-30-2002, 04:02 PM
:eek: Now that link is just scary

Anyway, the program I like best is one I never finished. It's a IRC log parsing program that reads in the chat log and pops out an HTML webpage full of stats from that log such as most active times (bar graph per 15 minutes), who used smileys the most, talked the most, etc...
It was my 2nd ever windows app, so there was a lot of learning, also first ever C program outside of class, so even more learning there using functions I had never used before.

xds4lx
09-30-2002, 04:27 PM
not the best, but most usefull program ive written is a drag and drop aware console app that parses files saved from the web to remove any stupid formatting characters that appear such as 0xD

MethodMan
09-30-2002, 04:30 PM
Since I took java first year, I made a black jack game, just user input no graphics, with betting involved. It wasnt that bad, the main purpose was to learn inheritance.

Prelude
09-30-2002, 07:34 PM
>What's the best program that you have made, be it in any language, what's the one that you are most proud of?
All of the above would be the operating system from hell that I patched into obedience. It wasn't my program originally, but at current about 70% of the code is mine. :rolleyes:

-Prelude

harryP
09-30-2002, 07:59 PM
This is difficult...I've got a few:

1)My PacMan game because it was the first Windows game I've ever made...C++
2)My current RPG, MoA - This is one of the biggest projects I've done, and I'm enjoying making it...C++ (actually, they're all C++, so...)
3)Not a program per-say, but a console "graphics" library that I'm making, called ConsoleDraw (like a console version of DirectDraw). In it, you can load up bitmap-type files and display them, draw simple shapes and lines, perform animations, and my personal favorite: sprites!

Brendan

face_master
09-30-2002, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by vVv
I use my IRC client ~8 hours per day, so it's probably the best :). Whoa cool. An IRC client. That would be awsome to write. Where did you learn all about it?

I wrote a port scanner the other day(C++), the crap code I posted on this board was deliberate: it would take like a week to find a vunerable portuseing it, but thanks my my cool winsock book, it now does it much faster. It also has options to scan known vunerable ports like the one Kazaa uses. Other than that, when I started C++ (and programming in general), I wrote a calculator in console and I thought that was really cool :p.

face_master
09-30-2002, 08:16 PM
just wish I had the effort to write a dictionary file...

XSquared
09-30-2002, 09:23 PM
I got bored during my intro to VB class last year, so I wrote an encrypted client-server relay chat program entirely in VB. I'm still working on it. :D

shaik786
10-01-2002, 01:46 AM
1. I made a chat program in UNIX, very similar to mIRC, which is now being used by many colleagues of mine in my ex-company to chat with each other.
2. A Tic-Tac-Toe game in unix, which can be played between host to host, in UNIX again.

biosninja
10-01-2002, 09:25 AM
I have a few :

1. My banking program
2. Pacman
3 Black jack

All of 'em were coded in C++

Jet_Master
10-01-2002, 09:35 AM
A calculator i made in Visual Basic...
Standard Calculator
- converts to scientific (and back)
- also has a small "game"

biosninja
10-01-2002, 09:42 AM
Oh yes, almost forgot.

I also made a memory game with Java

Magos
10-01-2002, 10:53 AM
Hmm, hard to say...

I've made an Othello game in LISP. It has the ugliest code in history, but it's the only program I've made that includes AI.

I've also made a drawing program for DOS (C/C++). It's file format is non-portable, but I'm still proud of it.

Third, I've made a program to edit INI files (Windows C/C++). It's the most useful, but nothing spectacular.

Monster
10-01-2002, 11:42 AM
My best (private) program? [list=1] Editor for the game Pax Imperia II
Box World with editor and depth first problemsolving mechanism
Chat client (Win NT) / server (UNIX SCO) program
[/list=1]

hk_mp5kpdw
10-01-2002, 11:57 AM
I've made an Othello game in LISP. It has the ugliest code in history, but it's the only program I've made that includes AI.

Oh my god! I hate that language... too many damned parenthesis!

As for myself, I made a program that loaded a CIV3 save game file and changed all my stone age units (warriors, archers, etc.) into tanks cause I'm a dirty little cheater. Any primitive naval units were changed into battleships. Any used movement points were reset and health was restored to 100%. Never could figure out how to reset whether or not the unit had fired or not that turn. This was the first program I made that used any STL so its kind of special to me.

adrianxw
10-01-2002, 12:37 PM
An inter-process/inter-processor communications library that allowed a non technical programmer to easily communicate with other programs running on the same or other, (VAX), machines in a DECNet network. It allowed spare capacity on standby machines to be used by overloaded duty machines. Written in FORTRAN 77.

Saved a fortune in machine upgrades over the years.

lightatdawn
10-01-2002, 01:09 PM
As soon as I saw adrian as the last poster, I knew everyone was going to get whomped. ;)

Best app? Likely the full featured Strategy/Arcade futuristic war game I just finished writting in DirectX. Reminiscent of BattleTek ("board" game) if anyone can remember that. Giant robots, tons of gagetry, missiles everywhere, explosions, overheating cores, you get the picture.

maes
10-01-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by adrianxw
An inter-process/inter-processor communications library that allowed a non technical programmer to easily communicate with other programs running on the same or other, (VAX), machines in a DECNet network. It allowed spare capacity on standby machines to be used by overloaded duty machines. Written in FORTRAN 77.

Saved a fortune in machine upgrades over the years.
Suddenly, I'm feeling so stupid :(

edbowen
10-02-2002, 11:29 AM
Dynamically sizable shared memory library. Written in C++ (ansi / posix) on UNIX (IRIX 6.5). Have tested it on Solaris and Linux also. Only took a week to write, but provided a nice solution to a problem.