PDA

View Full Version : SIGN-UP: Text Compression/Decompression Contest

ygfperson
09-28-2002, 08:19 PM
Contest theme: Text Compression
Directions: Write a C/C++ program that takes a piece of text data and compresses it in a method of your choice. This method should be original, or at least be an original twist on another idea.
Criteria:
Elegance -- Make your code look nice and readable for the judges. Comments are nice. ;)
Efficiency -- Use as little memory and CPU cycles as possible. Choose an efficient algorithm.
Portability -- Make your program confirm to ANSI-C standards as much as possible. Text compression should not require you to exceed these limits.
Specialized Criteria:
Creativity -- This counts double (10 pts). Keep your algorithm creative, without sacrificing ability. Don\'t oversimplify or overcomplicate.
Compression ratio -- Is the program a good compressor? How often does it return uncompressed data; or worse, expanded data?
Interface -- No fancy interface is required or expected. Make your interface newbie-proof and functional so that it's obvious how to use it.
Time limit: a week and a half. This contest ends midnight, October 3.

Contestants: 5 slots left
The Dog
-Ken-
skyruler54
cshot
BMJ

Judges: filled
ygfperson
xsquared
Dcower
master5001

You can send your entry to geoschnee2@thetruth.com , ygfperson@cprogramming.com , or you can upload it at http://contests.cprogramming.com/ .

Any questions?

Remember: above all, make sure your program works. :D

The Dog
09-28-2002, 08:35 PM
What the heck, I'll give it a go, I'm in.

xds4lx
09-28-2002, 08:38 PM
By saying:

Portability -- Make your program confirm to ANSI-C standards as much as possible. Text compression should not require you to exceed these limits.
does that rule out using C++?

XSquared
09-29-2002, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by ygfperson

Time limit: a week and a half. This contest ends midnight, October 3.

Wouldn't a week and a half from September 28th be Oct 10th?

ygfperson
09-29-2002, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by xds4lx
By saying:

does that rule out using C++?
no... i should have made that clearer...

just try to confirm to portable code, like not using conio.h or dos.h, for instance

Wouldn't a week and a half from September 28th be Oct 10th?
right... (i really have to stop posting these threads late at night)
October 10 it is.

you're up, dog

ygfperson
09-29-2002, 07:35 AM
from another post somewhere else:

What a coincidence. I have spent the past week or so working on compression for a game that I'm working on. My general purpose compressor did beat out winzip in many areas. Is there any sort of prize? Who is judging?

no prizes... :(
just the feeling that you're better than us. ;)

i'm judging so far, but judges can sign up, too, if you feel qualified.

crag2804
09-29-2002, 11:40 AM
Is the text to be read from a text file?

XSquared
09-29-2002, 12:11 PM
I'm willing to judge, if you want me to.

ygfperson
09-29-2002, 12:11 PM
it's to be read from whatever source you choose

//edit: i've added you, xsquared

XSquared
09-29-2002, 12:21 PM
its xsquared

ygfperson
09-29-2002, 12:25 PM
k, sorry bout that.

Dcower
09-29-2002, 03:14 PM
Can I judge...?

ygfperson
09-29-2002, 03:44 PM
sure.

to everyone else: we still have plenty of slots for contestants... ;)

-KEN-
09-29-2002, 04:34 PM
I'll take a crack at it.

master5001
09-29-2002, 06:15 PM
Awe no prizes. I didn't plan on entering anyway. Could I be a judge though?

RoD
09-29-2002, 06:54 PM
i want in : )

skyruler54
09-29-2002, 07:04 PM
I am in..not sure how to do this yet...but should be fun..

RoD
09-30-2002, 04:12 AM
i'm a newb but its supposed to be a challenge right!

ygfperson
09-30-2002, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Ride -or- Die
i'm a newb but its supposed to be a challenge right!

depends on your definition of a challenge... ;)

basically, you write up a program that inputs text data (ie: words made of letters, maybe a hyphen, punctuation, spaces, newlines, and numbers) and outputs compressed data.

WARNING: when handling data with a byte value of 13 or 10 (carriage return and line feed) it may cause things to mess up on some systems. i know this from experience with my huffman compression program i wrote a while ago. whenever possible, try to write and read in binary mode.

i've added master5001 as a judge (which means no more judging positions) and all those who requested to be contestants as contestants.

remember, you can submit your stuff; or look over the contest info at http://contests.cprogramming.com/

Note: all judges must be competent in C and C++.
Note: the Creativity criteria counts double.

you're under no obligation. you don't have to send in anything, although i would like it. send stuff in even if you're not finished, or not sure it will go up against the others.

Sentaku senshi
10-01-2002, 08:19 AM
Quick question. does the file have to be decompresable?

Cshot
10-01-2002, 01:50 PM
Umm all right, sign me up. I'll whip out something real quick.

*** thinks to self:
void main()
{
goto compress;

:D

ygfperson
10-01-2002, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Sentaku senshi
Quick question. does the file have to be decompresable?
yes. the compression must also be lossless; (ie: all data must be recovered intact).

you must provide some way of decompressing the file you compressed in your program.

Cshot
10-01-2002, 02:10 PM
>> you must provide some way of decompressing the file you compressed in your program.

Oh, so we're supposed to code up a decompression routine also? But the creativity and efficiency of the decompression has no part on the score right?

Sang-drax
10-01-2002, 03:24 PM
I made a text compression program about a year ago.

It is highly unportable though (written using DLLs, with a GUI written in Borland C++ Builder)

Is such highly specialized code permitted?

However, I guess it would it be cheating to participate with code made over a year ago.

ygfperson
10-01-2002, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Cshot
>> you must provide some way of decompressing the file you compressed in your program.

Oh, so we're supposed to code up a decompression routine also? But the creativity and efficiency of the decompression has no part on the score right?
efficiency, yes, creativity, probably not.

what good is a compression program when it can't decompress?

Is such highly specialized code permitted?
depends...

you cannot use any uncommon, 3rd party libraries. you can use code you have written before at any time. using DLL's will wreck your portability score. and there's the issue of actually compiling the program...

please don't send it that entry. though it's legal, chances are such an entry would get a low score.

RoD
10-01-2002, 06:30 PM
i'm in , lets have some fun

ygfperson
10-02-2002, 02:42 PM
yep. let's.

reminder that the thing is due a week from tomorrow, or October 10.

BMJ
10-04-2002, 03:03 PM
Waaaaaaaait! *hold hand up*

I want to be a contestant too!

ygfperson
10-04-2002, 06:14 PM
you're added, BMJ.

just a note: you can sign up at any time until the contest ends. even if you don't sign up, you can still submit something and have it be valid. i just prefer you sign up so i have an idea on how many people are participating.

RoD
10-07-2002, 05:51 PM
I am backing out. I just don't have time between my game, class, and my girl, i'll catch the next contest.

The Dog
10-10-2002, 12:29 PM
I've mailed my entry for the contest.

ygfperson
10-10-2002, 07:45 PM
confirmed.

remember, guys, the deadline's tonight! send yours in any way possible. (information is in the first post of this thread)

Cshot
10-11-2002, 12:43 AM
entry uploaded

ygfperson
10-11-2002, 08:45 PM
the contest has officially ended. i'll start sending the judges results.

to all judges: send me your e-mail addresses.

ygfperson
10-15-2002, 06:02 PM
sorry for the delay... i've been busy the last few days.

i've gotten master5001 and dcower's e-mail addresses, and i'll send them the entries i received soon. xsquared hasn't sent me the address, so until (if) he does, i'm just using dcower and master5001 as judges.

i've received 2 entries in time, fyi. i can't remember the names off the top of my head, though.

//edit: the names are cshot and the dog. if you're not one of them but you sent yours in on time, let me know.

ygfperson
10-19-2002, 12:19 PM
to the judges: i need your results by the end of today