PDA

View Full Version : Importance of knowing linux when trying to get a c programming position

Terrance
09-26-2002, 10:47 AM
Hello, I'm going through c corporate training, and hopefully I can get a c entry level position afterwards.

We're doing a majority of our programming on a windows o.s.

But it seems to me that a good number of companies use linux based o.s.'s

Will knowing linux help me out as much as I think it will. Do you need to be an expert in linux, or just know your way around.

DISGUISED
09-26-2002, 10:59 AM
I am fairly close to graduation so I have been looking into the job market in my area recently. A lot of companies that are hiring for C/C++ do mention UNIX a lot. I haven't read anything about linux period, but of course from what I hear there isn't a huge difference (I wouldn't know I have never run a linux machine but I had to take a year of UNIX based classes in school).

Side Note
--------------------
I am back on the boards(finally). After a summer of accelerated web development(html, dhtml, javascript, perl and java applets in one term), advanced systems analysis, small systems, and contemporary lit, I am ready to post again!!

Troll_King
09-26-2002, 11:10 AM
I'm learning Linux right now. It's probably the perfect time to start because it's very easy to install, and the desktops are better than Microsoft based OS desktops. Linux has come a long way toward being user friendly. The Linux shells are very important because they are powerful like Unix. I recently found out not to install all of the packages but rather to be more conservative (I only installed 1000 packages).

The Linux OS is hands down the best. As a programmer it's not to your advantage to be using Microsoft. You don't learn anything on that OS. Step up and use a networking operating system like *nix. Linux is probably better than *nix though because of the great desktops, especially KDE or Gnome.

It's not scary to install, just download the .iso images and burn each one to CD as an .iso image. Than throw the first disk in and reboot. Follow on screen instructions. You will not believe your eyes when you see what an awesome OS Linux is.

Govtcheez
09-26-2002, 11:14 AM
> the desktops are better than Microsoft based OS desktops.

Bzzzt! You lose! Next, please!

Terrance - the OS being used is going to mainly depend on what sort of work is being done specifically where you are. Knowledge of *nix hasn't helped me at all, yet, but I'd suppose most of the people in my office don't even know what Unix is.

Troll_King
09-26-2002, 11:31 AM
I don't know of any better desktops out there than Gnome and KDE. I simply have the best graphics and the most programs in any category you can think of. I would never go back to my preschool training on Microsoft desktops. Linux is a real operating system.

Govtcheez
09-26-2002, 11:40 AM
Linux may be a real OS or whatever, but there's no way you can argue the UI is better on Linux.

FillYourBrain
09-26-2002, 11:42 AM
ah but he will.... he's Dean

Troll_King
09-26-2002, 11:42 AM
www.gnome.org
www.kde.org

Both sites have screenshots of their respecive desktops. I am saying this in all honesty, I find Gome to be more flexible and more powerful than any Microsoft desktop. It also offers about ten or fifteen times as many applications. How on earth can I leave it? Gnome is my favorite, although when I first started with Linux I liked KDE better. It's strange but Gnome shone through in the end.

FillYourBrain
09-26-2002, 11:45 AM
This person is on your Ignore List. To view this post click [here] LOL!

Troll_King
09-26-2002, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Govtcheez
Linux may be a real OS or whatever, but there's no way you can argue the UI is better on Linux.

The desktop (GUI) is much better on Linux. There is absolutely no question about it. Maybe you used an old version of Linux or something. I can't figure out why you think that the Microsoft desktop is so good. It's way too inflexible for my liking, and you have no choice of applications. I can make an exact replica of WindowsXP on KDE but there are much better themes out there. In terms of useability, Linux is stronger because it has so many more applications. My favorite browser is Galeon, and I'm using Ximian Evolution for my mail client. I also like the software update on RedHat the best. I'm telling the truth, I think that the Linux desktops are the best I've ever used.

salvelinus
09-26-2002, 01:24 PM
What are you using a GUI for on Linux anyway? When I took Linux the prof would remove any gui's he found. Command line, that's the way to go for real linux. ;)

Sentaku senshi
09-26-2002, 02:06 PM
Troll if linux is the best becusae it has the best shells, then maybe you might want to get a new shell for windows. I'm sure you know how to do a search on google.

Nick
09-26-2002, 02:58 PM
You don't have to know linux good enough to be an administrator
but you should be good enough to use make, emacs, grep, the c compiler, man, info. I think most of the positions that require
unix c experience want you to know how to do sockets and threads. There's an online book that is called advance linux programming
http://www.advancedlinuxprogramming.com/
that covers just about all of these things. Another
book that's suppose to be good is the unix programming environment.
The difference between linux and unix isn't too big. I've done simple standard c programs on solaris, irix and linux and have
had no trouble compiling on them.

Troll_King
09-26-2002, 04:54 PM
I bet that you think you know everything, LOL. I'd like you to try to say something like that to me in person. Stop hiding behind your computer you pencil neck.

Why are so many *nix users cry babies? Did I hurt your little feelings? Waaa!

Aran
09-26-2002, 05:03 PM
wow, gnome looks awesome...

i'm sick of windows. Linux seems gets more appealing every time i see it.

-KEN-
09-26-2002, 05:05 PM
No, vVv - he went from Linux drone to MS drone to Linux, MS, and back again.

I wonder if Dean's tolerable in his phase between Linux and MS....hmm...

hey, vVv....for some reason I think someone told me you were Sunlight...care to shed light on that? Nothing would be greater than having Sunlight around to have some fun with dean :)

-KEN-
09-26-2002, 05:05 PM
back to the original topic, you don't relaly need to know ANY *nix programming. It couldn't hurt, though.

-KEN-
09-26-2002, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Troll_King
I bet that you think you know everything, LOL. I'd like you to try to say something like that to me in person. Stop hiding behind your computer you pencil neck.

Why are so many *nix users cry babies? Did I hurt your little feelings? Waaa!

wait...you do realize that you're a *nix user, right? - ouch, my brain exploded!

//edit: And aran, if you're gonna choose Linux for aesthertic reasons only, have a look at this (http://response.restoration.noaa.gov/software/gnome/gnomeinfo.html) - gnome for windows.

Aran
09-26-2002, 05:12 PM
aesthetics is nothing.

I'm an OSS stalwart, so i really look forward to seeing all the OSS on linux, examining the code and maybe doing some editing of it :)

-KEN-
09-26-2002, 05:16 PM
freak.

BTW, in case you hadn't already noticed, here's the real link. The other one is some GNOME about oil or something. I accidentally downloaded it and it's like "General NOAA Oil Modeling Environment" - I laughed soooo hard :)

http://www.themedoctor.com/reviews/g/gnome.shtml

//edit: nevermind, they're all worthless. Stupid links.

Troll_King
09-26-2002, 05:19 PM
I do have to admit that the majority of *nix users I've seen are cry babies. There are some normal people that use *nix too though. I'm just calling it like it is.

[EMOBA]
09-26-2002, 05:35 PM
Most *nix users have very little patience for buffoonery and incorrect information.

snap out of it man or end it...one or the other...

Troll_King
09-26-2002, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Aran Elus
wow, gnome looks awesome...

i'm sick of windows. Linux seems gets more appealing every time i see it.

Gnome is awesome. In addition do not try to download Unix shells or Gnome desktops for MS Windows because that is nonsense. People who think that those make a diference are ignoring the implementation of the operating system. In real life the implementation is the most important factor.

Gnome is the best desktop out there that I've ever used. The LInux OS is more difficult to use them MS Windows, however it is also more powerful and offers total freedom to computer programmers. If you have not tried Linux, than you should because it is available for free. You need a fast connection and a cd burner to get it for free.

I'll never be going backwards to MS Windows. That is over. When I used Linux as school it was all text mode. This is the first time I've seen Gnome and KDE, and I'm totally hooked. The environment is much more challenging becuase it's a real programming/hacker environment. You simply do not need anything else. The only single weakness that I have noticed is the multimedia player. It doesn't come with DVD playback, and thus far I've found it difficult to install the required packages to enable DVD on Xine and other players. This has to do with my inexperience and the law, which is tough on CSS encryption at this time. In terms off all other features, Linux is better than MS Windows. You have to choose the right browser though, I have 5 web browsers, and I find that Galeon is the best. The Konqueror browser is not very good, however with every application there is a corresponding website where these applications are being improved. I'm about 5 releases behind on almost everything. I only have Gnome 1.4 and Gnome 2.0 is out. Stuff like that, but even at that everything on my system kicks ass on MS Winblows.

Troll_King
09-26-2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by [EMOBA]
Most *nix users have very little patience for buffoonery and incorrect information.

snap out of it man or end it...one or the other...

Most *nix users are bafoons. I don't think that anyone can argue with that, however the times are changing, and some real people are starting to use LInux becuase of its high quality.

[EMOBA]
09-26-2002, 05:48 PM
you can't even install software correctly...who's the freakin' buffoon?

i don't now what a bafoon is though...so maybe you're right :rolleyes:

goodnight idiot...

Troll_King
09-26-2002, 05:57 PM
To the original question:

You should try *nix and especially learn how to create and use make files. You'll proabably have a tough time building source RPMs and piecing files together, like you have to do on an advanced distribution like debian.

It's all C and C++, but the real thing isn't as simple as the type of programming that goes on around here. This is the real environment for advanced programming and if you can handle it than you can practically build your own operating system. You can't come from a Microsoft background and have your way on a *nix environment. You'll be totally lost.

-KEN-
09-26-2002, 06:04 PM
LOL - I swear, Dean....you couldn't make these posts funnier if you tried.

>>People who think that those make a diference are ignoring the implementation of the operating system

Oh, so you'd rather have GNOME's _slower_ interface than Windows' fast one? Gotcha.

Troll_King
09-26-2002, 06:22 PM
I'll take the faster Linux context switch and the fact that it doesn't crash.

-KEN-
09-26-2002, 06:31 PM
and I'll take "famous idiots" for 800, Alex.

Troll_King
09-26-2002, 06:48 PM
The nice thing about the Linux desktops is that you can run them on several different windows managers. The managers are a layer between the XWindows system and the GUI. The Gnome desktop runs very fast. When you first install Linux and boot it, than it's slow during that first boot, however after that it's fast. For some reason that's strange but true.

MS Windows just recently permits you to use virtual consoles but something like that has been a natural feature of Linux for ages. It was designed to be a networking operating system. I don't think there is any question that Linux has the better desktop environment.

-KEN-
09-26-2002, 07:09 PM
You really are unspeakably brainwashed.

Whatever...it's still funny as hell... :FRLOL:

Troll_King
09-26-2002, 07:17 PM
You say that I'm brainwashed for using open source software, but you are the one who is paying the big bucks to support corporations who seek to be monopolies. I wonder who is really brainwashed.

Troll_King
09-27-2002, 08:18 AM
Next time you feel like spamming me than leave your name, number, and address. I'll pay you a visit in person and well have a talk about it. We'll see who is unqualified.

Troll_King
09-27-2002, 08:19 AM
You can email me this information anytime. Thanks. I'll be waiting.

Troll_King
09-27-2002, 08:29 AM
I have zero tolerance for *nix people. I won't put up with anything. What comparisons are you refering to? It's not difficult to study cases where comparisons between operating systems are made. I have been doing this in an attempt to study the differences. Base your accusations on reality. As far as I'm concerned your comments have no substance.

Govtcheez
09-27-2002, 08:30 AM
> I have zero tolerance for *nix people.

I see... And you're not a Microsoft loser... So what do you use, Dean? OS X?

Troll_King
09-27-2002, 08:31 AM
I use Linux.

Troll_King
09-27-2002, 08:35 AM
...or more accurately, open source.

Troll_King
09-27-2002, 08:39 AM
Outside of personal attacks I'm not sure what this guys claim is. Is he saying that software for XWindows is multiplatform? Okay, sure that's true, obviously Linux and Unix are related through XWindows. Maybe I insulted Unix. Oh well.

Hammer
09-27-2002, 08:40 AM
... and you rarely use the <edit post> button. :rolleyes: :p

Troll_King
09-27-2002, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Hammer
... and you rarely use the <edit post> button. :rolleyes: :p

Yeah, I should edit the part where I called them cry babies. Na.

As I understand it, Gnome was developed out of The GIMP program. I guess that the libraries used in creating 'GIMP' are the basis of the Gnome desktop...my favorite desktop!

Dean stop posting things as 2 posts when they are really one post.

Kevin.j
09-27-2002, 05:49 PM
Personally, i think that a fresh install of any linux based operating system is tacky(the GUI), to get a nice GUI you have to mess about with things a little, window managers etc, change what you want to get everything the way you like it.Everyone has got their own tastes. i'm no linux guru so i won't protend i am, but for the user interface, windows is by far the better out the Linux vs Windows desktop battle from a standard install, though linux was not designed to be user friendly, all pretty colours, & a point and click OS but they are working towards being more user friendly...

Back onto topic,

I think it is important to know the bare basics of linux/unix - system directory structure/header files as they may vary (no expert), as sometime in your programming career you will come accross it, i'm no advanced user, but from what i can tell, programs written in windows can be ported to linux with little or no change at all, some commands vary etc. IMO, Another reason for the learning the basics of linux is because as you said yourself, many companies use it, the linux users are growing every day, companies are switching to linux because it's free, no licsencing fee's etc. Linux companies are looking for new recruits to help improve linux, to make it better than it is, more user friendly etc.

Troll_King
09-28-2002, 04:26 AM
I don't think they are working toward total nobrainer desktops. If they did that then they would be thowing security out the window. What they are working toward is a style guide so that if you know one app implemented with gtk+ than you will see a consistant style in other apps across the desktop.

I just downloaded and installed the brand new Mandrake 9.0. This is the sleekest and best OS and desktop(s) that I have ever seen. I can not make this any clearer. I am warning you all. You have no idea what you are missing. You have no idea! I can not understand how this is free. This is completely scandalous.

I told you. I warned you. Don't forget who warned you.

Dean stop posting things as 3 posts when they are really one post. Again!