PDA

View Full Version : Board Specific MODERATORS!

Eibro
09-12-2002, 06:53 PM
The C/C++ board NEEDS them. I'm tired of reading every second post and having someone post a page of code without code tags, only to have someone reply telling them to use code tags (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Then they might go and post again using <code> or {code} tags... If we had board specific moderators (maybe 1 or 2) they could EDIT the persons post, insert code tags and maybe send them a PM. Delete any posts found in the faq, or avalible in a search and PM them.

A lot of people are complaining about how many newbies are around here and lack of professional programmers... well it wouldn't seem like so many if a few people gave up some of their time to remove repeditive and redundant posts on the C/C++ boards as the posts worthy of a response (and read) would be viewable.

Dr. Bebop
09-12-2002, 07:29 PM
What's so hard about copy/paste and then using your compiler's hot key for formatting? In VC++ 6.0 just select the code you want to format and hit ALT+F8 and this

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
string str;

cout<< "Enter a string: "<<flush;
getline( cin, str );
cout<< "You entered \"" << str << "\"" <<endl;

return 0;
}

magically becomes this

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
string str;

cout<< "Enter a string: "<<flush;
getline( cin, str );
cout<< "You entered \"" << str << "\"" <<endl;

return 0;
}

moi
09-12-2002, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Bebop
What's so hard about copy/paste and then using your compiler's hot key for formatting? In VC++ 6.0 just select the code you want to format and hit ALT+F8 and this

well, first of all, a compiler is not a development enviornment. so let me answer this question instead, which makes sense: :)

What's so hard about copy/paste and then using your development enviornment's hot key for formatting? In VC++ 6.0 just select the code you want to format and hit ALT+F8 and this

not everyone uses the world's slickest text editors, and i happen to be one of them. most of my crap for these boards is done in notepad as a matter of fact.

Dr. Bebop
09-12-2002, 08:33 PM
That's kind of dumb. Why use something like notepad when you can get much better text editors for free? You lose a lot of productivity when you have to do everything by hand that good editors do for you. BTW, when I said compiler I meant development environment, and you know it. ;) For weird people like you who enjoy doing things the hard way there are a bunch of code beautification(sp.) utilities all over the net.

moi
09-12-2002, 08:34 PM
That's kind of dumb. Why use something like notepad when you can get much better text editors for free? You lose a lot of productivity when you have to do everything by hand that good editors do for you. BTW, when I said compiler I meant development environment, and you know it. ;) For weird people like you who enjoy doing things the hard way there are a bunch of code beautification(sp.) utilities all over the net.

for all real coding i do i use RHIDE. i just use notepad on the board because when you want to whip out 10 lines of code who gives a crap?

Dr. Bebop
09-12-2002, 08:39 PM
I do. :p Even for 1 line programs I still want it to be right, if using a big sophisticated(sp.) text editor helps me do that then I'll use it. It's better to take the time to be right than to suffer being wrong and having everyone see it.

Shadow
09-12-2002, 08:49 PM
I used EditPad.
I recommend it.

EditPad Pro or Lite are both just as good as the other.

Hammer
09-13-2002, 02:44 AM
For what it's worth, my fav beautifier (http://perso.club-internet.fr/cbeaudet/).

RoD
09-13-2002, 04:37 AM
NOTEPAD WON'T DIE!!!

sorry *walks away*

Eibro
09-13-2002, 12:52 PM
That's not the point. Dr.Bebop, moi is right, not everyone does use the prettiest editor in the world. Besides, it shouldn't be up to them to fix the code every time else didn't do it, THAT would be inefficient. If the newbie doesn't know any better, that would be the moderators job to fix it up.

Cshot
09-13-2002, 01:55 PM
How bout this idea. Just ignore people who don't use code tags if you're so annoyed with it. For those who aren't, they still get a chance to help out the poster. Most people who seek questions here just need quick help on homework anyways and will probably never show up again. For those who have stuck around awhile, will eventually figure out the code tags.

Eibro
09-13-2002, 02:04 PM
That's my point, the moderators don't want to have to moderate stupid newbie posts. So appoint board specific moderators to moderate a SINGLE board, that way, the board gets a lot more attention. It just seems the general discussions board is the only one that's moderated.

Fine, we can all ignore the posts without code tags, or we could go post something in the thread about it... OR we could delete it, clearing the board of all posts that can be found in the FAQ or a search and leaving the board 100% less crap.

Crap is going to get posted, i'm not debating that... but if a few people take it up to delete this stuff no one else sees it, and no one else gets angry/gets the feeling that too many newbies are posting.

If I walk down the road, and there's a piece of garbage blowing by; I can ignore it... because ignoring it is going to clean up the street and make me feel a lot better... or I could pick it up and get rid of it. Special people are appointed to pick up the garbage... because if everyone went around with the notion to ignore it, well we'd be living in a very dirty world.

Shadow
09-13-2002, 02:09 PM
> Most people who seek questions here just need quick help on homework anyways
It's sad that people are willing to help in this sort of a way.
When homework posters do not show code, I do not show help.

> and will probably never show up again.
If only that were true.

Cshot
09-13-2002, 02:12 PM
When homework posters do not show code, I do not show help.
I think most people here do the same as you.

Eibro
09-13-2002, 02:14 PM
Yes, and that's the problem... these posts clutter the board.

ygfperson
09-13-2002, 02:45 PM
i sometimes go through the c/c++ forum and change code tags, but i don't do it regularly.

the problem with current efforts is that it won't help any newbie get an answer. many newbies come for homework, then leave, never to be seen again. the only solution is to tell each newbie beforehand to put code tags on his/her piece of code.

i suggest a better front page. when anyone goes to cprogramming.com and clicks on "Board" or "Forum" or whatever, they go to another page which warns them what to do and what not to do.

we don't need to warn them. we need to make it known that a mistake in that arena will make their future uncertain. we need to inspire such a fright into a mind that he/she doesn't quite turn away, but the words:
CODE TAGS!!!
are imbedded into the retina of the viewer.

kermi3
09-13-2002, 03:51 PM
So appoint board specific moderators to moderate a SINGLE board...

If it was up to me this would never happen. The problem with that is you start ending up with 10,12,16,20 mods...Right now we have a very low number of mods, all the mods know each other fairly well, and we all know how the webmaster likes the site to be run.

The webmaster does have to do a certain about of "Mod Managing," basically communicating broad policies for the mods to carry out, or for them to use their judgement on. With a reletively low number of mods who are known and trusted by the webmaster this is not an issue.

Therefore it will be i long time in the future I believe before we get large numbers of new mods like that. I know of many boards who act that way, many mods with little power each, our mods are few with vast power.

As to code tags, I don't think that there is a solution. Since FAQ's are rarely read that won't do much good (though I'd love to work with you on standardazation Salem). Furthermore, not answering Newbies without codetags won't help either. The size of the board pop'l will just decrease over time because people will get discouraged and not come back.

I don't disagree that PMing them might work....If they notice they have a PM, but i think posting it on the thread is much more effective. When mods see it I'm sure they'll fix it, but no mod, under our current system, has that much time.

Furthermore, even with board specific mods, that's a lot of work for the C++ mod to do. You have to assume that one person will do it all because there is no way of indicating (easily) which thread has and has not been checked already, so every mod will have to do every thread. An insane amount of work for a volenteer.

Does this make sense or am I missing something?
It just seems the general discussions board is the only one that's moderated.

This is not totally true, but the GD does get a lot of attention I think, for a couple reasons. First of all it is among the more active, secondly it is the one in this most need of moderating under our current style. A Loose hand.

In general when moderating, our mods try and do as little as possible. We don't, for example, go fix the grammer and spelling on people's posts (or mine for that matter ;)). It is very rare that something on the other boards goes beyond PG-13, cross posts happen, and occasional off topics and recruitments, but otherwise it's usually clear. I wilol however make an effort to look there more often than I do with a mod's eye... :)

Oh and if you disagree with me please tell me...

Hammer
09-13-2002, 04:18 PM
It just seems the general discussions board is the only one that's moderated.
Poor Salem.... he spends his life in the C/C++ boards, rarely making an appearance in GD, and you deal him that card?

Hammer
09-13-2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Salem
(and kermie, the notices need standardising across all the code related boards).
Agreed, this one is particularly good (http://www.cprogramming.com/cboard/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13473), and should be more prominent (and should have a better subject line, imo).

Nick
09-13-2002, 06:02 PM
What about writting some sort of script so that anything
inside { } gets indented appropriately or at least
using a fixed font? Have this be the default so that
anyone registering would have to turn it off or use some
kind of escape code to print out normal text using { }.

Hammer
09-13-2002, 06:05 PM
>What about writting some sort of script ...
The board is proprietary software, and as such, I doubt it can be changed to that degree.

Eibro
09-13-2002, 06:35 PM
I still think a board specific moderator would fix all of these problems... at least try it for a bit. I can think of a few good candidates.

Driveway
09-13-2002, 06:37 PM
Oooh!! I nominate ********. I like to keep my votes private.

Eibro
09-13-2002, 06:57 PM
Oooh!! I nominate DRIVEWAY I like to keep my votes private.
Oooh, nice edit.

Nick
09-13-2002, 08:09 PM
I think you would have to pay a moderator to do that
kind of busy work.

ygfperson
09-13-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Nick
What about writting some sort of script so that anything
inside { } gets indented appropriately or at least
using a fixed font? Have this be the default so that
anyone registering would have to turn it off or use some
kind of escape code to print out normal text using { }.
i asked a bit earlier about creating a script that would mimic a user using lynx and other tools, but they said it would only add to the problem. there's no real code tag detector that works well enough.