I would set it up instead like this:

Implemenations And Definitions
----------------------------------------
C Programming
C++ Programming

Interfaces And Libraries
------------------------------
The .NET Framework
System Interfaces (WinAPI / DOS / X Windows)
Graphic Device Interfaces (DX/GL)

Research & Development
------------------------
Artificial Intelligence & Algorthims
Systems
Solutions

Bull**** Boards
--------------------
General Discussions

face_master
09-01-2002, 12:35 AM
>> I would set it up instead like this:

I wouldn't

Troll_King
09-01-2002, 12:39 AM
I would.

BMJ
09-01-2002, 12:55 AM
you'll ward off many with those names!

Troll_King
09-01-2002, 01:04 AM
That may be true, but I think that ultimately they are reality.

face_master
09-01-2002, 03:36 AM
>> I would.

I wouldn't

Troll_King
09-01-2002, 03:40 AM
This is a mature discussion. Go play with your dollies. Get lost!

-KEN-
09-01-2002, 07:34 AM
>>This is a mature discussion. Go play with your dollies. Get lost!

Oh dean, dean dean :rolleyes:

mithrandir
09-01-2002, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Troll_King
The current setup is like this:

I would set it up instead like this:

I actually think that design would be a lot more professional. But I figure it won't happen because too many people here would get their feathers in a ruffle because you'd upset their little "home away from home". Keep on crankin' out those idea's Troll_King!

maes
09-01-2002, 08:51 AM
I agree with stealth, this isn't a bad idea

-KEN-
09-01-2002, 08:56 AM
Sure, but then we'd look, like...professional...or something. We can't go lying to people like that.

xlnk
09-01-2002, 09:21 AM
An AI board does sound nice...

no-one
09-01-2002, 01:02 PM
i don't care either way,
but one suggestion i was thinking of making was to change the name of the game programming forum to Game/Graphics programming i have see a lot of questions on the other forums, centeralizeing i think would lend them more help.

DavidP
09-01-2002, 01:07 PM
Yeah, it would be a bit more professional, but it would also confuse newbies in countless ways...

>An AI board does sound nice...

that would be really nice too...i would love to work on AI and stuff...but then again you have to think about it...where are the programmers going to come from that answer the questions? I doubt 5 professional AI programmers will suddenly appear at the cboard to answer all of our AI needs on the AI board....so it is just a dream right now...maybe someday it will become a reality when more of us know more about AI...

Troll_King
09-01-2002, 01:25 PM
Picked up the book 'Artificial Intelligence A Modern Approach'. It's a full introduction into the different areas of AI. I also have 'Probalistic Reasoning In Intelligent Systems'. It uses Bayes theorum of conditional probability. It's an AI book. Same goes with the Knuth books on Algorithms and to a lesser extent Sedgewicks parts 1-4 and part 5. I've got those too.

-KEN-
09-01-2002, 01:47 PM
>>>An AI board does sound nice...

Probably a good idea since we're affiliated with aihorizon.com....but then again that's a fairly low-traffic site AFAIK.

Fordy
09-01-2002, 02:17 PM

Interfaces And Libraries
------------------------------
The .NET Framework
System Interfaces (WinAPI / DOS / X Windows)
Graphic Device Interfaces (DX/GL)

Merge the windows board with X Windows & DOS??!?!??!!!??!???!?!?!??!?!?!?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

The Windows Board is far bigger and more used that DOS board & the linux board put together!

Apart from the C & C++ boards its the biggest sensible board we have got!

A board for both solutions & NET and the good old windows board has to share with 2 tinpot technologies (X Win & DOS)...no thanks!

Troll_King
09-01-2002, 02:47 PM
They are all system interfaces, and they should be grouped together. WinAPI, The Cabon Framework, OSX and X Windows are all system interfaces of multiprocessing operating systems, and DOS is a system interface for direct hardware access. I'm afraid that these technologies should be grouped together. On of the reasons for the popularity of WinAPI is a misunderstanding about the value of interfaces, especially on proprietary systems (where they have almost no value).

Fordy
09-01-2002, 02:54 PM
They are all system interfaces, and they should be grouped together. WinAPI, The Cabon Framework, OSX and X Windows are all system interfaces of multiprocessing operating systems, and DOS is a system interface for direct hardware access. I'm afraid that these technologies should be grouped together. On of the reasons for the popularity of WinAPI is a misunderstanding about the value of interfaces, especially on proprietary systems (where they have almost no value).

Worthless?......are you serious?

If you got rid of the windows board you would lose a major part of this site.....that board has been around for ages and is the 3rd most popular programming board......other boards have come more recently (C# and linux) and they havent roused any real interest......10714 programming related posts in the space of a year!....not bad for a concept with "no value".....

Anyway, that said, I cant see there's any argument.........the webmaster would have to be mad to get rid of the Winboard in favour of what you propose......

Troll_King
09-01-2002, 03:01 PM
Programmers can post WINAPI questions in the systems interface board where it belongs.

This is a C programming website and we should be concentrating on implementations as opposed to interfaces. The C and C++ languages are used by proprietors to implement systems.

The strongest developers are the develpers who use open source and actually build systems ontop of the software architecture. They need to have acess to the implementation of the system interface.

On a proprietary system, developers should be building solutions ontop of proprietary systems that concentrate on presentation.

What I am proposing is only natural for students of C and C++. I am saying, lets get serious and stop working in ignorance. This place is a laughing stock.

Fordy
09-01-2002, 03:19 PM
Ah whatever........wont happen anyway IMHO.....

What the few who have posted here want is vastly outweighed by the needs/desires of the thousands who post here every day....and its those fine soles that fuel the advertising that helps pay for this place......

Troll_King
09-01-2002, 03:32 PM
The Microsoft operating system is a useless operating system to develop for unless you are leveraging their systems (in other words, building ontop of them). Even if you are employed with Microsoft, you can not have autonomy when working on the implementation, it's copyright is strictly enforced.

The needs of the uneducated are to become educated. Those needs should outweigh advertising. I know that cprogramming will not change, however it should try to learn from it's own experiece. If it does not adapt than it should change it's name or something.

-KEN-
09-01-2002, 04:46 PM
Really, dean, it's time to pick a freaking side. Ms? Linux? BSD? Nobody cares! Just pick one and stop the inanity.

Aran
09-01-2002, 07:46 PM
at this point i support linux more than windows, although i don't profess programming for either explicitly.. i lik to use multiplatform tools more than anything. I hate being tied to one system, especially since my future coding is allgoing to be OSS.

ygfperson
09-01-2002, 07:51 PM
getting back to topic...

your design sounds too professional, dean. picture this:

you're a scared newbie in first year college in an intro to programming course. you see "systems" and "solutions" and "implementations". you run away, fast.

Troll_King
09-01-2002, 11:22 PM
I believe that proprietary operating systems and open source operating systems have different valences. I don't support one over the other.

ober
09-02-2002, 06:28 PM
oh STFU Dean... I think I'm gonna start a STFU Dean thread just like I did with Maes on FD...

The site works fine as is... :rolleyes:

Sayeh
09-02-2002, 06:41 PM
I didn't see the sections for "How & Why" and "Performance Programming" and "Algorithms"... or did I?

Troll_King
09-02-2002, 11:19 PM
I think that algorithms and artificial intelligence can be grouped together, but performance programming was left out. It could be planned a little bit better, but the idea is that the boards should provide better incite into the computer science side of programming. The current boards are clueless.

confuted
09-03-2002, 06:52 PM
I like it, but I think it needs some changes...how about the following boards?

C
C++
How and why

Windows
Linux
Dos

Games Programming
Graphics Programming (maybe grouped with games...)
AI Programming
Algorithms (search, sort, etc)

General discussions
FAQ

Troll_King
09-03-2002, 06:56 PM
That will not due, but it's okay. The whole reason why I grouped the topics the way I did involves educational incite. I now see that I have a lot more work to do here, and I have acquired the resources. It is just a matter of time now before I dispell a great deal of myths that way too many people suffer from in their attempt to learn how to program. I am very serious about bringing real education to the people here. Nobody else has this ability.

confuted
09-03-2002, 07:27 PM
QUICK! Someone get over here! Troll_King has his head stuck WAY up his own @rse, and he can't breathe!

Seriously, get over yourself, you aren't the only one here that knows how to program.

Troll_King
09-03-2002, 07:42 PM
On the contrary it does seriously appear that I AM the only one here that knows how to program.

Aran
09-03-2002, 07:49 PM

This is cprogramming.com.

where is computer science in there?

this site is about programming in C related languages; this site neverpromised ANYWHERE that it would cover Computer Science.

confuted
09-03-2002, 07:50 PM
>>oh STFU Dean...

>>you're a scared newbie in first year college in an intro to programming course. you see "systems" and "solutions" and "implementations". you run away, fast

>>get over yourself

I think you're outnumbered here

webmaster
09-03-2002, 08:08 PM
The previous suggestions will be considered. In the interest of preventing a flame war, this thread is closed.