PDA

View Full Version : CProgramming.com should expand!

Fool
10-03-2001, 03:41 PM
Personally I think it would be a great idea for the CProgramming.com forums to expand to more languages. Cause we all know that most programmers use more than one language. THerefore I propose this. There should be another section added to the forums (under the current ones) with the title "Other Languages". Then list em off like our current C, C++, are done. I think we should have...

Java
Visual Basic
ASP
C#
XML, HTML, Javascript, Web and CGI

Others could be added but I think those 5 would make these forums a much more diverse place for programmers of all walks of life to come together. I really do hate going to other forums to ask my Java and Visual Basic questions:D

So vote it up guys!

Govtcheez
10-03-2001, 03:47 PM
It's not that I don't care about other langs, it's just that I come to a site called cprogramming.com for info on C... If I want other stuff, I go to other boards... Too many langs would make the board too big...

-KEN-
10-03-2001, 03:47 PM
maybe just one board to encompass all other language questions could be nice....but just one. it is Cprogramming.com, afterall. not programmersheaven.

Fool
10-03-2001, 03:49 PM
I'm talking about something like this. (http://forums.vb-world.net/)

-KEN-
10-03-2001, 03:55 PM
that's too much boardage to cover..we'd need a few more mods...plus, it wastes space on our precious cprogramming server. I think one board to cover other aspects of programming would be nice, but no more than that.

Fool
10-03-2001, 03:57 PM
Well not all that stuff they have, just the 5 I suggested would be sweet. Hell, just having one like you said would be fine with me. i just hate going to other forums when I know everybody here. You know?

DavidP
10-03-2001, 04:09 PM
Maybe one would be okay...but I kind of fear that it would be like the DOS board. Occasionally a question appears on the DOS board, but mostly people just post their DOS questions the Gen C++ Board. I have seen a little more usage of it within the past week or so, though...maybe people are getting smarter...

I definitely dont think we should have like 5 more boards...that is a mistake. That website you posted (forums.vb-world.net) had way to many boards. That is too much space to cover. How would you get to know everybody? How would you answer all the questions in a good amount of time? That is too much board space to cover...

I also agree with Govtcheez and Ken. This is cprogramming.com. Its focus is C. So maybe one board for other languages could do, but thats all. This site is focused on the C/C++ language...maybe someday C# could be included because it is also one of the C's...but it is not popular yet, so I wouldnt put up a C# board yet...

Thats my opinion.

Fool
10-03-2001, 04:14 PM
Even if it's not used alot, it's still there for the people that would like to use it. And if it isn't used a whole lot it won't be taking up any space (bandwidth wise).

Cruxus
10-03-2001, 07:11 PM
It is simple enough for programmers to find other forums--including the various Usenet newsgroups--to post their questions relating to programming languages other than C and C++. Here, our main focus is C and C++; that is what unites us. People simply do not expect forums for other programming languages on a website called "CProgramming.com."

If an "Other Languages" forum were created, a possible outcome would be questions asked primarily by nonregulars in an assortment of languages. Few of these questions would be answered, and fewer still would be answered quickly. Rather than creating an "Other Languages" forum or forums for several different programming languages, hyperlinks to forums for other programming languages should be added to this board's FAQ.

<b>DavidP wrote:</b>

This site is focused on the C/C++ language...maybe someday C# could be included because it is also one of the C's...

I would like to state that C# is only as much "one of the C's" as Java and several other programming languages. Having a C as part of the name of a programming language does not inherently cause a programming language to be more "C-like" than any other programming language. Objective-C and its hybrid relative Objective-C++ are approximantly as close to C and C++ as C# and Java; actually, Objective-C, if I remember correctly, has some level of compatibility with C--just like C++. Remember, Microsoft is simply capitalizing on the popularity of C and C++ in its decision to call its new, Java-like programming language C# (it was code named COOL, C++ Object-Oriented Language).

Witch_King
10-03-2001, 08:52 PM
Get rid of the DOS board because it is useless and put up a C# board.

Fool
10-03-2001, 08:57 PM
The Linux forums isn't getting much more action than the DOS forum. Down with em both!

mithrandir
10-03-2001, 09:00 PM
There's a C# board a rick's site...never gets any post though. But get rid of the DOS board, and then we may as well delete the Linux board, and the Windows board, and the Game board, and we might want to combine the C board with C++, leaving only 2 boards to post at :p

Fool
10-03-2001, 09:02 PM
Well, they are where most of the posts are anyways. I don't see a problem:D

mithrandir
10-03-2001, 09:04 PM
But then we may as well toss the C/C++ board, cause then it will die out with the mass popularity of the General Discussions board. Then we shall rename it...MicroBoard!

And so begins the start of the domination through eliminating all competitors.

Witch_King
10-03-2001, 09:07 PM
No, I didn't say go retarded. I just said get rid of the DOS board, especially since DOS has been obsolete for about a decade and replace it with C#.

doubleanti
10-03-2001, 09:12 PM
about that... why isn't the DOS board kaput yet anyway? weird... been a long time... oh, and that is a keen observation... let's not do that... somehow i'll eventually need to learn the 'rest' of C++ for somethign related to my art... :p

mfc2themax
10-03-2001, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the link to the other board Fool, now i can post my Sex Sex and More Sex thread over there to get an answer :D

Shadow
10-03-2001, 10:58 PM
http://www.CodeGuru.com

It's huge and takes a while to cover. You'll love it.

mithrandir
10-04-2001, 07:17 AM
No, I didn't say go retarded. I just said get rid of the DOS board, especially since DOS has been obsolete for about a decade and replace it with C#.

Got a sense of humour WK or did you lose it in the American-Canadian war of 93?

RobS
10-04-2001, 07:59 AM
DOS may be obsolete but that doesn't mean that its not being used.

Many industry and manufacturing processes and facilities have DOS based machines running C-Code to control, monitor, test etc and this code needs maintaining occasionally. I know this because I had to make some of this code at work y2k compliant.

Now before anyone jumps in and says upgrade, upgrade, upgrade. I modified the code in three days, all fully tested with no loss in productivity for the process. The cost of a new PC to run a nice windows app wasn't too high, but replacing various bits of test hardware in the system would have cost around three hundred thousand pounds and this doesn't include the complete software re-write, possibly a task involving more than 3 man days of work, and losses due to having the proccess stopped for refitting equipment.

There's potentially a large market for people knowledgable in DOS based systems as all the people on our site who'd worked on the project originally had retired and left really bad documentation and I found the DOS board particularly useful as may other people in the future as the knowledge base shrinks.

By all means add some boards but don't kill off the lesser used ones, unless they get properly archeived.

ober
10-04-2001, 09:26 AM
HEY HEY HEY!!! What's with all this deleting the Linux board?! I use that! It's a good board!

mol
10-04-2001, 10:06 AM
I will tell you this. Most of my work in C is with microcontrollers (pic's, etc) and I wish I could find a place to talk about the use of C with that in mind. It really is a whole different world and it would be great to exchange ideas and vent frustrations.

rick barclay
10-04-2001, 10:06 AM
<There's a C# board a rick's site...never gets any post though. >

I'm so hard up for posts I might just put up a gay forum.

rick barclay

Generator
10-04-2001, 11:53 AM
>>I'm so hard up for posts I might just put up a gay forum.

LOL, Rick you crack me up man:p

Fordy
10-04-2001, 01:39 PM
A gay board located on a site called "flashdaddee"??

::shudder::

doubleanti
10-04-2001, 06:10 PM
oh... RobS... i guess you weren't here when we discussed the ramifications of DOS and it's current use [practicality protocols also called...] hmmm... well... al discussions eventually die anyway...

-KEN-
10-04-2001, 06:42 PM
::proudly makes first post on ricks' new forum::...wait a minute! you lied!

I feel so cheated...

-KEN-
10-04-2001, 06:46 PM
in some weird way, rick's comment brings up a somewhat valid point (somehwat) - why not just create a board for everything under the sun? I'm sure the transgendered people would love their own place to chat (right, govtcheez? :p just kiddin), and I'm sure that people programming in FORTRAN would die to be able to post those questions to here, just as much as the people still programming with punchcards and/or tape...let's add a board for all! then none of us would ever have to go to the dark side of other boards("you mean there're *gulp* OTHER boards besides me? ::slap::").

wow, see how stupid it sounds? I say if you're gonna add another board, make it a misc. computer/computer programming topic board, but why even tamper with perfection here?

EvenFlow
10-05-2001, 02:57 AM
I'm so hard up for posts I might just put up a gay forum

Lol, that might spark some interesting converstions.

Stoned_Coder
10-05-2001, 10:19 AM
I think we should expand.... not for other languages so much but a better FAQ, source-code and tutorial pages would go a long way.... maybe even a new quiz.

Fool
10-05-2001, 10:22 AM
I've given up on it really. I really understand that this is CProgramming.com and all so it's cool. I've decided to create my own set of forums with boards on most everything. I'll be sure to let you guys know about it in a few weeks when I'm ready.