PDA

View Full Version : The Fifth Contest - Nibbles -- Sign Up

ygfperson
08-12-2002, 11:00 PM
Theme:Nibbles Clone
Directions:Write a clone of Nibbles. For more information on Nibbles check online or better yet, play it yourself.
Criteria:
efficiency -- use computer resources efficiently
elegance -- make your code neat and understandable
portability -- how many computers can your code compile across?
Special Criteria:
Interface -- your game must use a keyboard interface. No mouse, no joystick (although points will not be deducted off for that kind of support).
Features -- what extras can your game handle? (ie: saving game, high scores, etc...)
Graphics efficiency -- How well-written are the algorithms and/or methods for using the graphics?
Graphics library -- Is the graphics library used effectively?
Graphics portability -- Did they go for the always portable text-mode graphic interface, or did they use Windows' DirectX?
Overall graphical choice -- Was it suited for this type of program?
Graphic Creativity -- how much effort was put into making the art for the game?

Note: the graphics special criteria are 3 points apiece, not 5 like the other criteria.
Time limit: you have 10 days to do this. It ends on August 23, midnight, EST.

Signed up Contestants: 6 slots left
vasanth
SilentStrike
Techwins
brendan

Signed up Judges: 1 slot left
ygfperson
d00b
golfinguy

Any questions?

Remember, above all, make sure your program works. :D

d00b
08-12-2002, 11:12 PM
Can I judge again? I love examining other people's code, trying to figure out what they are thinking etc. . . so, I'd like to do that again :) please?

I can be more in-depth with my technical explination of things if you want this time :)

Remember: I wont let you down ;)

ygfperson
08-12-2002, 11:36 PM
sure, why not?

just want to let others know that the idea of a nibbles clone is open to interpretation. just as long as there's a snake, watching out for boundaries, getting points, and eventually advancing a level.

moi
08-12-2002, 11:59 PM
boooo! i wanted to make a textmode nibbles. but anyway: 320x240 :: ehh? 320x200 is much more standard.

moi
08-13-2002, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by ygfperson

Graphical limitations (important):
your program is assumed to be running in 256 colors, 320 by 240 pixels. You cannot change the pallette. Any initialization will go into this function: int initialize_graphics(void);
You may plot pixels with this function: int plot_pixel(x value, y value, color value);
You may draw lines with this function: int plot_line (x1,y1,x2,y2,color);
Rectangle: int plot_rect(x1,y1,x2,y2,color);
Circle: int plot_circle(center x,center y,radius,color);
Blit solid colors: int blit_solid_rectangle_color(x1,y1,x2,y2,color);
Blit an image where the image is a char 2d array: blit_array (x1,y1,length x,length y);

me has questions here.

can't change the palette? how do we know that the default palette isn't 256 entries of pure solid black then? you didn't define it.
i assume initalize_graphics returns an error code of some sort if it fails (it is prototyped to return int after all)? define this.
no shutdown_graphics? might be fine in a windoze system, but in dos i need to return to text mode.
what do the returns of all the drawing primitives mean?
the blit_array prototype has no return stated. in C this means it returns int. but isn't this different in C++? (can't be sure because i don't code c++.) and since this is a C/C++ contest, that should be changed.
also don't you need something like a "char *src" in the prototype for blit_array? otherwise what are you blitting from?

btw i volunteer to clean all this up for you by writing a short but complete specification and accompying .h file and example machine-specific .c file if nessecary.

SilentStrike
08-13-2002, 12:39 AM
conio.h isn't a standard header :(.

I'd definetely prefer using some extremely portable C library (I am personally biased towards SDL, but I'd have no problem using allegro), rather than some non-standard header for the I/O and having to wrap my own video routines.

moi
08-13-2002, 12:40 AM
i'm biased towards allegro :D

and i think allegro supports more systems than sdl does, but i would be willing to use either i suppose

d00b
08-13-2002, 12:51 AM
I think contestents should be allowed to use any means necessary to make the game, and leave it to the judges to establish scores depending on what path they choose...

for example, we could judge like. . .
Graphics efficiency: How well-written are the algorithms and/or methods for using the graphics
Graphics library: Did they choose to use a graphics library like Allegro? If so, did they use it correctly?
Graphics portability: Did they go for the always portable text-mode graphic interface, or did they use Windows' DirectX?
Overall graphical choice: Was it suited for this type of program?

This doesn't include the other scores

moi
08-13-2002, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by SilentStrike
conio.h isn't a standard header :(.

edit: never mind

silentstrike
08-13-2002, 01:45 AM
"portability -- code must use the graphical API described below. You may use conio.h functions for keyboard handling."

How do you handle keyboard input portably in a non-console window? You don't :(.

moi
08-13-2002, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by silentstrike
"portability -- code must use the graphical API described below. You may use conio.h functions for keyboard handling."

How do you handle keyboard input portably in a non-console window? You don't :(.

if you're in a vga mode, you can use the standard keyboard calls, and watch trash letters show up on your screen, and maybe erase them using the graphics functions. but the gfx library makes no guarantee of this (that you will be in mode-x 320x240)

vasanth
08-13-2002, 08:31 AM
Ok sign me in..
But i am not submiting my program with those standards.. you are free to cut points for compatibility if you wish.. The limitations you have put are too immense.. Well i am using BGI graphics library .. :) And writing functions to plot pixels etc etc is quite some work... Well i guess my feature score will even out the compatibity problem....

I will be mailing my entry in another few days....

:)

ygfperson
08-13-2002, 08:50 AM
I think contestents should be allowed to use any means necessary to make the game, and leave it to the judges to establish scores depending on what path they choose...

for example, we could judge like. . .
Graphics efficiency: How well-written are the algorithms and/or methods for using the graphics
Graphics library: Did they choose to use a graphics library like Allegro? If so, did they use it correctly?
Graphics portability: Did they go for the always portable text-mode graphic interface, or did they use Windows' DirectX?
Overall graphical choice: Was it suited for this type of program?

This doesn't include the other scores
hmmm...

i'm inclined to agree. let's drop this whole graphics api thing until it's better described. one restriction: don't use graphic library features which won't show up in any other libraries. (that's just to make it a little bit fairer).

any other questions?

TechWins
08-13-2002, 01:24 PM
any other questions?

I think it would be better to say "go make a Nibbles clone, and we'll see which one is best." Instead of giving all of these restrictions for the game.

Xterria
08-13-2002, 01:48 PM
is 13h 320x200? is it allowed?

moi
08-13-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by ygfperson

hmmm...

i'm inclined to agree. let's drop this whole graphics api thing until it's better described. one restriction: don't use graphic library features which won't show up in any other libraries. (that's just to make it a little bit fairer).

any other questions?

would you happen to have a list of all graphics libraries and the functions that are in them? not to be an ass, but what i consider a very mainstream graphics library, allegro, is missing one of the functions that you described before, in what i would consider to be a very condensed list of graphical features. so if it is missing one, how many are others missing? and also because i have never worked with sdl or ms directx, i have no idea what capabilities they support.

d00b
08-13-2002, 02:47 PM
this is how I feel (and some others). . .

Rules:
1.) Must be nibbles-like clone
2.) Game must be playable

Simple... leave all judgments to the judges :)

The initial rules would only hinder creativity IMO

fletch
08-13-2002, 03:15 PM
i'm inclined to agree. let's drop this whole graphics api thing until it's better described. one restriction: don't use graphic library features which won't show up in any other libraries. (that's just to make it a little bit fairer). Does this mean don't use any graphics library (i.e. use text), or just don't use anything other than some basic functions from a graphics library (i.e. the functions that are equivalent to the originally described graphics API)?

d00b - I agree with you: Ideally, everyone should submit a working Nibbles clone and may the best man win. However, the purpose of the portability rule is to force contestants to write flexible code and keep the judges from having to find and install a multitude of libraries in order run an entry. Perhaps the judges could post a list of graphics libraries that they will support.

Ultimately though, I think we should respect ygf's decision, as (s)he is the one who has gone through the trouble and effort to put this whole contest together.

ygfperson
08-13-2002, 05:05 PM
how about this:
1) create a nibbles clone using a commonplace graphics api (bgi, sdl, allegro, etc...) you may work in text mode if you want.
2) make sure it compiles on most windows compilers. i have to admit that windows has a better game enviroment than linux. (however, if you use sdl you should be able to run it under linux, too).
3) any resolution is allowed, and any 8-bit, 16-bit, or true-color color depth
i'll change the first post to fit this.

SilentStrike
08-13-2002, 07:56 PM
Sounds good. I don't neccessarilyy agree that windows is a better game enviroment than Linux, but I'll enter and get code compiling on one of the free windows versions of gcc, MSVC, and I'll try to get it to work with the free borland compiler, though I've never used it, so I don't know if I'll be able to do that.

Sentaku senshi
08-13-2002, 08:05 PM
I refrain from commpeting, but since I have found this ultra top secret version of Nibbles from Microsoft I must share it.

d00b
08-13-2002, 08:50 PM
*gasp!*

QBasic nibbles! w00t w00t!!!

moi
08-13-2002, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by d00b
*gasp!*

QBasic nibbles! w00t w00t!!!

but the version he posted was modified by some tard and crashes with a div0 error every time i run it.

ygfperson
08-13-2002, 09:41 PM
a division by zero error could be the result of our superfast computers trying to find the right speed to run at.

i remember qbasic nibbles... those were the days

so: d00b wants to be a judge, vasanth and SilentStrike want to compete. anyone else?

vasanth
08-13-2002, 11:04 PM
Ok i almost finished mine... I am using BGI library.. and my code compiler fine on TC (turbo c)... I wanted to know wheather i can add obstacles like maze, bricks etc on the screen.. Will it add points are reduce them...

ygfperson
08-13-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by vasanth
Ok i almost finished mine... I am using BGI library.. and my code compiler fine on TC (turbo c)... I wanted to know wheather i can add obstacles like maze, bricks etc on the screen.. Will it add points are reduce them...
it's mostly up to you, so long as the game looks like and plays like the original. if you think bricks and a maze will improve things, do it.

vasanth
08-14-2002, 06:15 AM
Ok i maild my entry to geoschnee2@thetruth.com Please confirm that you have received the file.. snake.zip

Bye
:)

ygfperson
08-14-2002, 10:01 AM
confirmed. if i have time i'll try it out soon.

TechWins
08-14-2002, 03:14 PM
i'm in, but mine is not done yet. should i just e-mail it to you, ygfperson, when i'm done? if so what is your e-mail address or did you include that on the first page?

golfinguy4
08-14-2002, 03:42 PM
I'll judge I guess.

ygfperson
08-14-2002, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by TechWins
i'm in, but mine is not done yet. should i just e-mail it to you, ygfperson, when i'm done? if so what is your e-mail address or did you include that on the first page?
e-mail it to me, attached to either ygfperson@cprogramming.com or geoschnee2@thetruth.com
remember that there is a deadline, august 23, midnight.

i've added your name to the list, golfinguy :)

golfinguy4
08-14-2002, 09:54 PM
ygf, now that's pimp. Your own @cprogramming.com email address. You must feel all warm and fuzzy inside.:D

ygfperson
08-14-2002, 10:02 PM
yeah... :)
i got it when i became a mod... it must be related to the whole renevation thing

//edit: to mods: i'm stickying this thread for a short while until someone else replies...

don't want this thread to get swept under ;)

Unregistered
08-18-2002, 12:21 PM
I'll enter as a contestant. It's going to be text-based, because I don't know DirectX yet or anything, and I think using MFC would result in 0 for compatability hahah. I hope I finish it in time, these things can take me a long time!!!

Brendan

ygfperson
08-18-2002, 02:40 PM
added your name, brendan

ygfperson
08-22-2002, 04:04 PM
Reminder: contest entry is due tomorrow, by midnight. so far i only have vasanth's entry.

vasanth
08-23-2002, 10:47 PM
so does that mean i will win the contest :):):):)

SilentStrike
08-23-2002, 10:55 PM
I mailed mine like right at the deadline to the cprog address, and got a returned mail. Then I sent it to the other address a little after. So I think you've got some competition :).

vasanth
08-23-2002, 11:00 PM
hmm i have competition now.. not some competetion but some heavy competetion :).. It looks like i am not gona win :(

ygfperson
08-24-2002, 02:11 PM
don't count your chickens before they hatch...

d00b, golfinguy, i'll send you the programs today. if you can't compile or run a program, send me a message and i'll try to help

//edit: the reason why the cprogramming web address was rejected was because cprogramming.com was in a domain change or something.

Unregistered
08-30-2002, 03:26 PM
I'm sorry! I wasn't able to finish it! It's taken me FOREVER, too! I'm still not done. Oh well. Maybe next time.

Brendan

ygfperson
08-30-2002, 07:53 PM
i'll post the results within 24 hours

btw, i'm the only judge here... one dropped out and the other one didn't respond.

Driveway
08-30-2002, 07:58 PM
I hope someone's is good... I like nibbles. I have it on mu calc :D