PDA

View Full Version : What does this mean for the world of cryptography?

hk_mp5kpdw
08-12-2002, 02:04 PM
Some dudes in India recently developed an algorithm to test for the primality of arbitrarily large numbers with a polynomial-time algorithm. Check here (http://www.cse.iitk.ac.in/news/primality.html) for a link to the site. My question is does this render more commonplace computer systems/networks capable of breaking encrypted data that was traditionally left to the realm of supercomputers using less efficient algorithms? You can download a PDF file from the website, it explains the algorithm and the math behind it.

vasanth
10-07-2002, 08:29 AM
well India rules :):):)

Davros
10-07-2002, 08:45 AM
Not an issue for cyptography.

The indian method allows for a relatively quick test of prime with 100% certaintity. There are already formulas to determine whether a number is probably prime (i.e. to within a 99% certaintity or higher). But previously, to be absolutely sure, you would have to employ a time consuming proof.

If someone were to come up with a really quick way a generating huge prime numbers, then that would be a serious issue.

red_baron
10-07-2002, 02:06 PM
they call that simple proof??? today at school we learned what if and only if is... suddenly this :eek:

vasanth
10-07-2002, 11:55 PM
well to generate a big nos... well my technique does not work 100% for numbers bigger than 5000 but say 60% and may be around 20 % for bigger number

3 is a prime number 3 x 3 =9

so the result 9 - 2 = 7 where 7 is a prime number

same way 7 x 7 = 49 where 7 is a prime number

the result 49 - 2 = 47 which is a prime number

this happens for most numbers but not for bigger ones... So is there any way of refining this.. .....