PDA

View Full Version : Registry protecter

netboy
08-11-2002, 11:39 AM
I'm trying to find a tool that can protect the Windows Registry... Its function should be to protect the registry from unauthorized access. Say whenever we run "regedit", we must enter a password...

Anyone can recommend such tool?

Thanks in advance!

Fordy
08-11-2002, 11:55 AM
Use policy editor in a decent OS (Win2k++).....Though dont be suprised if many of your apps stop working

Best bet....only run trusted purchased programs......get a decent browser like Opera........boot Outlook express into touch....buy a decent virus guard (like Norton Virus Guard)....Setup a decent software firewall (not like Norton Internet Security)

fletch
08-11-2002, 12:38 PM
Use Exploer's Folder Options\File Types to change the default action for registry files from merge to edit. It won't stop programs from modifying the registry, but it will stop accidental and/or undesired imports (which is how your homepage and default search engine (amongst other things) are sometimes mysteriously changed).

netboy
08-11-2002, 12:49 PM
I'm on Win XP and the default action is already "edit"...

toaster
08-11-2002, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by netboy
I'm trying to find a tool that can protect the Windows Registry... Its function should be to protect the registry from unauthorized access. Say whenever we run "regedit", we must enter a password...

Anyone can recommend such tool?

Thanks in advance!

um, regedit.exe, eh?
why not delete regedit.exe?
lol. if you do, make a back up copy of it.