PDA

View Full Version : embedded

Unregistered
08-11-2002, 07:17 AM
Hello.

does anyone here works with microcontrollers, microprossesors,
DSP, FPGA etc...? you know, embedded systems.

i am with atmel, AVR, going to go with FPGA in a while.

adrianxw
08-11-2002, 12:26 PM
I do - although mostly these days, when I am, I'm working with Windows CE in the target, and MS Platform Builder/Embedded VC++.

ober
08-11-2002, 01:27 PM
yo, adrain... sorry, always wanted to do that.

Are you actually working with the embedded hardware directly or doing software development? My thesis is concentrated on embedded software development and I was curious when you said you were working with Windows CE units.

Unregistered
08-11-2002, 02:43 PM
Embedded Visual C++? you are doing Visual programming in
a controller? in what kind of LCD?

hell...i didn't even know that such compiler exists...

adrianxw
08-12-2002, 05:12 AM
Ober:

I don't build the boards if that is what you mean - we use either proprietary boards when we can, or a hardware house, (sometime in-house for really special stuff), for the rest. I do have a private customer who, for extremely questionable reasons, develops their own gear based on FairChild F8 chips for which there is no known compiler/ICE/development set - so it is a case of blowing a prom and trying it.

For the most, I develop the software.

Unregistered:

Just as you can develop a console app with VC++ you can develop for CE without a screen. Just because it is called embedded VC++ doesn'y mean a screen/mouse etc. is essential - but if you have one - there is the capability. The last CE project I worked on was for a mobile ticket issuing machine for bus/train personnel. It was, at heart, a Casio handheld, and as such, had an inbuilt LCD display.