PDA

View Full Version : TNL Video Card

VooDoo
08-05-2002, 08:06 PM
hey i need some advice... my video card (the one that came with my new computer) sucks and i want to buy a new one. A big problem i having with the one i got is that it isnt TNL enabled... does anyone know if ATI has video cards that are TNL enabled? If they dont then what type of video card is capable of TNL?

Thanx

moi
08-05-2002, 08:26 PM
nvidia geforce series

ati raedon series

the first raedons (or is it radeons?) and geforces are quite old by now, so you should have no problem finding a good card in that range.

these are all agp only btw (i think a few early geforces are available pci tho) but if you dont have agp get a new mobo and cpu

VooDoo
08-05-2002, 08:39 PM
Thanx. yeah i do have an avaliable AGP Slot, my computer is new i got it like 4 weeks ago and the video card that it came with is integrated into the motherboard but i still got a AGP slot. If anyone can give me more info please do so i want a good video card but not too expensive maybe around 100 150 bux.

moi
08-05-2002, 08:44 PM
i don't keep up on these things, but i think your range includes the Geforce 3 Ti series and the radeon 8500 or something like that

frenchfry164
08-05-2002, 09:06 PM
you can get GeForce 4 in PCI too. Just VERY hard to find, and you lose a LOT of performance.

DavidP
08-05-2002, 09:32 PM
yeah i just saw a GeForce 4 PCI card for $100 the other day. I kind of wanted to get it for my older computer that I have sitting in my room which doesnt have an AGP slot...but i didnt...

moi
08-05-2002, 09:34 PM
they do make them? k then let me say this (even tho its already been stated):

a gf4 pci is a very bad idea.

frenchfry164
08-05-2002, 09:44 PM
not really. It's good for a computer like mine that doesn't have AGP. It just won't be great for today's standards, but it'll still run the new games and all. You just won't see something like Doom 3 or something like that running on it.

VooDoo
08-05-2002, 09:48 PM
well im not looking for a PCI i know they are more expensive and they have lower performance, they aint bad i had one before which i return it was an ATI radeon 7200. it worked fine but it cost as much as a brand new one with twice its performance. Hey i tough the GeForce sucked for the high prices you had to pay. Which is better ATI or GeForce?

novacain
08-05-2002, 09:58 PM
ATI will release their new card soon. Advertised as 50% faster than a GF4 Ti4600. Wait till these come out if you want a ATI as the price of current cards should drop dramatically.

If you want a good card the best bang for the bucks is a GF4 Ti4200 (at the moment).

Avoid the GF4 MX400 cards as they lack the nReal engine. The difference in game graphics is amazing.

Up to a 1Ghz processor will max out (about 80fps) any card under a GF2 Ti.

If you have a PC that does not have a AGP port then I suggest that a new MB / CPU is a better buy than a new video card.

Sentaku senshi
08-05-2002, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by VooDoo
well im not looking for a PCI i know they are more expensive and they have lower performance, they aint bad i had one before which i return it was an ATI radeon 7200. it worked fine but it cost as much as a brand new one with twice its performance. Hey i tough the GeForce sucked for the high prices you had to pay. Which is better ATI or GeForce?

ATI seems better for directx

GeForce seems beter for openGl

VooDoo
08-06-2002, 08:13 AM
Ok i do have a AGP slot available. so what should i buy an ATI or a GeForece? which one is cheaper but good?? im still between the ati and geforce.....

dirkduck
08-06-2002, 01:38 PM
I've got an ATI Mobile Radeon 7500 64MB in my laptop and its great, and im sure the price isn't too high, although you may want to go with a GeForce4 TI to last you for quite a while, if you have the money for it.

frenchfry164
08-08-2002, 12:11 PM
the Radeon 9500 is coming soon, and the new GeForce cards are coming out this spring. I would wait until spring, and get the new GeForce.

I'll try and find the link I found on gamedev.net with all the new vid cards. Also try going to gamespot.com they have all the latest info on gaming hardware.

Barjor
08-08-2002, 01:55 PM
I recently bought a PNY GF4 64Mb for 99$ http://www.pny.com/home/products/Vcard_ti4200.cfm and it works well for me. I also read some really good test results about it to..I am not a game playing kinda guy though so I am not really that into what is the latest and greatest.

frenchfry164
08-09-2002, 01:21 AM
what do you need 64MB of VRAM for then? If you just play games every now and then a 32MB will be fine. Do you like do video editing or something?

Barjor
08-09-2002, 08:11 AM
No not really. Have a 21" screen I run a 1800 something resolution and a 100mhz refresh rate. Can I get away with less memory? yeah probably. would it save me alot of money to buy a 32Mb card? not really.

VooDoo
08-09-2002, 08:15 AM
Hey thanx guys i think ill go for the GeForce 4. the one thats around 99 bux. i think its a good deal. ill check ATI webpage and see what they got...

novacain
08-11-2002, 07:54 PM
Don't get the cut down GForce4 MX card if you play games. They are reasonably fast but the difference in the actual graphics on screen is amazing. They are really a GForce2 doubled. Lack the next generation 'nReal' engine.

In Neverwinter Nights my friends GF4 MX has 'flat' grass, my GF4 Ti4200 has 'individual' waving grass (seems to have depth and wind blowing thru it).

I paid about US$200, he paid US$100. IMHO well worth the extra cash.

frenchfry164
08-11-2002, 09:00 PM
it may be next-gen now but when the GeForce 5's come out they will release nReal 2, which is awesome.

Plus it can support ONE HUNDRED TWENTY EIGHT BIT COLOR! The screenshots I've seen of car models and stuff look VERY realistic. (Yes I know the VGA output only does 32bit, but it messes with the output a bit. In my opinion, I think they should make a new interface then the old VGA. You would have to get a new monitor though, but something good to do in the future)