PDA

View Full Version : Is my career idea good?



face_master
08-05-2002, 12:28 AM
Ok, lets see here...I'm 14 and live in Australia (Sydney). I love programming in C++ and the Win32API and I really want to become a job using it (or at least coding). My plan is this:[list=1]
Finish high school and do my HSC with the highest software development marks I can
Go to ADFA (The Australian Defence Force Academy) and do computer science
Get a job in The Australian Defence force programming in C++.
[/list=1]
Is this a good plan or not? I'd like to be in the army anyway. Is there something I'm overlooking in my plan?

//EDIT: I'm not a 'pencil-neck geek' ;)

Troll_King
08-05-2002, 12:53 AM
The way it works is that the more education you have, the more choices you have. It is also helpful to have money. In the country that I live in the army will train you in computers and pay you at the same time, however, you will not be able to get a rounded education that way. It's better to go about it the way your thinking.

face_master
08-05-2002, 12:56 AM
yeah, while you study there, you get payed and you get subsidised food and accomidation

black
08-05-2002, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by face_master
Ok, lets see here...I'm 14 and live in Australia (Sydney). I love programming in C++ and the Win32API and I really want to become a job using it (or at least coding). My plan is this:[list=1]
Finish high school and do my HSC with the highest software development marks I can
Go to ADFA (The Australian Defence Force Academy) and do computer science
Get a job in The Australian Defence force programming in C++.
[/list=1]
Is this a good plan or not? I'd like to be in the army anyway. Is there something I'm overlooking in my plan?

//EDIT: I'm not a 'pencil-neck geek' ;)

sounds great. Good luck guy~ ;)

adrianxw
08-05-2002, 03:01 AM
Sounds fine if that suits you. Personally, I would never use any skill of mine towards any military goal, it seems unethical to me.

face_master
08-05-2002, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by adrianxw
Sounds fine if that suits you. Personally, I would never use any skill of mine towards any military goal, it seems unethical to me.
Why not? Explain?

Unregistered
08-05-2002, 03:27 AM
You are only serving the corrupt system. Nothing else.

face_master
08-05-2002, 03:36 AM
...but how cool would it be to infiltrate the place and destroy their evil plots...or not...

rahaydenuk
08-05-2002, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by face_master
...but how cool would it be to infiltrate the place and destroy their evil plots...or not...

Where's 'the place' and whose 'evil plots' are we discussing?

face_master
08-05-2002, 04:18 AM
The Secret Bases and their plot to let the aliens rule the Earth. I'm dead serious when I say this. I do have evidence to prove me right about such places/plots ;)

face_master
08-05-2002, 04:19 AM
>> sounds great. Good luck guy~

I prefer face_master, thankyou... :D :D

rahaydenuk
08-05-2002, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by face_master
The Secret Bases and their plot to let the aliens rule the Earth. I'm dead serious when I say this. I do have evidence to prove me right about such places/plots ;)

Right.... ok. I agree that most Governments have 'secret bases', but I must say I'm a bit cynical about the whole aliens taking over the world thing! Let's see your proof.

face_master
08-05-2002, 04:38 AM
:D http://www.cprogramming.com/cboard/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19775 :D

rahaydenuk
08-05-2002, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by face_master
:D http://www.cprogramming.com/cboard/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19775 :D

There are loads of those website, claiming this, that or the other, with very little (if any) concrete proof. If you believe all you can read on the net, you'd believe pretty much anything.

face_master
08-05-2002, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by rahaydenuk
If you believe all you can read on the net, you'd believe pretty much anything.
...as I do.

mithrandir
08-05-2002, 07:14 AM
>>Go to ADFA (The Australian Defence Force Academy) and do computer science<<

First of all - G'day fellow Aussie!

This would be an excellent thing to do - not only would the Army pay your way through university, you will also start off as an officer, not just a grunt (not that there's anything wrong with that, but face it you'd wait years to get anywhere!).

Either way, really have a good think about it, and get in contact with ADFA to find out more.

At 14 I didn't even dare to think beyond the end of school. Even when I finished at age 17, I still had no idea what to do really. I was going to just go direct entry into the Army, but then I decided to do a 3-year Information Systems degree at uni instead. I'm glad I did, because there is no way I would have been ready for the pressures of ADFA. Having said that, if this is something you really want, I think you should go for it - just make sure you know all of your options before making any decisions just yet ;)

Best of luck mate!

[stealth]

golfinguy4
08-05-2002, 07:51 AM
Face_master, working for the military in my mind would be fine and even sounds like a good idea. However, you have to realize that life isn't a video game. There isn't always a "Bond-like" plot going on. If you did join the military, a lot of your work would probably be updating older code and securing systems.

salvelinus
08-05-2002, 11:16 AM
I don't know about Australia, but in general, if you join the military, as opposed to being employed by them, you'll do what they tell you. You may get programming training, or not, and you may actually work at programming, or not.
You stand a good chance of getting what you want, seeing as it's computers, but you never know. Some in the US joined under promises of certain training/jobs, but instead got posted as a radar operator in the Aleutian Islands. They sued & lost.
You also have to be willing to kill and die. Hopefully wouldn't come to that, but it's always possible.

Scourfish
08-05-2002, 01:10 PM
Every career idea is good; I remember when they told me that my idea of getting through college by becoming a male stripper was ludicrous. Well, they were right.


Seriously, though, my old man was in the airforce and coded some of the OS for guided missiles.

salvelinus
08-05-2002, 03:17 PM
You sure about that, Scourfish? Aren't you down near Wright-Patterson AFB, where they took the Roswell evidence? Maybe your dad was deciphering an OS! Hmmm... :confused:

mithrandir
08-05-2002, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by salvelinus
I don't know about Australia, but in general, if you join the military, as opposed to being employed by them, you'll do what they tell you. You may get programming training, or not, and you may actually work at programming, or not.
You stand a good chance of getting what you want, seeing as it's computers, but you never know. Some in the US joined under promises of certain training/jobs, but instead got posted as a radar operator in the Aleutian Islands. They sued & lost.
You also have to be willing to kill and die. Hopefully wouldn't come to that, but it's always possible.

The Australian Army is still desperate for people with IT skills. Yes, first and foremost you are a soldier and there is always the chance of having to go into combat. However, I would argue that the chances of you doing so as an IT professional working in the Army would be slim - they'd need you to be doing the tech stuff because that is your primary area of training.

Second of all, no programming job is ever going to have you just coding for 100% of the time, all the time. In the Army, you won't always be doing IT related work all of the time. But that is like in any IT job - you'll often have to do tasks, which aren't necessarily related to your job description, but you have to do them anyway.

Third, eventually you'll want to be just more than a programmer, and want to move up a senior programmers position, and so on - working your way into mid-management, from there, who knows? It's getting the experience that counts initially, and the Army would provide an excellent opportunity to do this.

salvelinus
08-05-2002, 07:18 PM
Probably right, but you never know.
Just a point .
14 is pretty young to commit to a path. Of course, so is 18. Or 21.

Don't worry about it now. Hell, I went through @ 10 - 12 majors in college alone.

mithrandir
08-05-2002, 07:35 PM
>>14 is pretty young to commit to a path. Of course, so is 18. Or 21.<<

Yeah 14 is young. 18...well try telling that to your family, friends, society at large! I finished school at 17 and it was like "you must decide your future now before its too late!". Argh...well at least I'll be 20 and already have a degree and be I can choose to do what I to do.

>>Don't worry about it now. Hell, I went through @ 10 - 12 majors in college alone.<<

And I thought I had a hard time making up my mind!

adrianxw
08-05-2002, 10:37 PM
>>> Why not? Explain?

As I said, I think it is unethical. I would not like my skills used towards an end which involved killing or maiming people. One can always argue the "defence" line, but military is military to me - and that means no.

Uraldor
08-05-2002, 10:52 PM
Ok, lets see here...I'm 14 and live in Australia (Sydney). I love programming in C++ and the Win32API and I really want to become a job using it (or at least coding). My plan is this:

Finish high school and do my HSC with the highest software development marks I can

Go to ADFA (The Australian Defence Force Academy) and do computer science

Get a job in The Australian Defence force programming in C++.


Is this a good plan or not? I'd like to be in the army anyway. Is there something I'm overlooking in my plan?

Hi,

I also live in Australia, i've lived in Nowra, Canberra, Sydney and now Brisbane. Before leaving school i also had the idea of going to ADFA to do computer science, but after actually looking into the courses and subjects on offer, i realised that ADFA just doesn't cut it as far as computing science is concerned.

if you want to do a good degree to get you into a fun programming job, then my advice is to do B. Computing Science and the Uni of Technology, Sydney (http://www.uts.edu.au). It's one of the best courses around.

There's no way you'll get a good programming job in any of the forces. Most of the work that the forces have in IT is now outsourced (how do i know?? coz i'm one of the guys who they are outsourcing to :D. I write mission planning software for the RAAF).

Hope that helps!
U.

face_master
08-06-2002, 12:16 AM
What do you mean by outsourced?

adrianxw
08-06-2002, 01:01 PM
Outsourcing is a bucket term meaning delegating a job to an external contractor.

eg. once upon a time, the local council employed people to empty the rubbish bins, now it is competitively tendered and outsourced to the tenderer who has best slushed the politicians involved in making the decision.