PDA

View Full Version : Do you play a musical instrument?

dbaryl
08-02-2002, 03:24 PM
I want to see how many people on here play a musical instrument. Also, I was interested in learning to play the guitar, would this be an OK start if I haven't played anything before, and any suggestions on getting started?

Cshot
08-02-2002, 03:31 PM
I play the piano. I don't see anything wrong with starting out with the guitar as your starting instrument. Although Ken might suggesting playing the skin flute first. He's offering free lessons if you care to take advantage.

Fountain
08-02-2002, 03:59 PM
Learn the harmonica...that would be a laff!!!!:cool:

MethodMan
08-02-2002, 04:09 PM
I always wanted to play the sax, I just never got into it so much to take lessons.

Homer (playing Lisa's sax): Saxamaphone!

Clyde
08-02-2002, 04:11 PM
Played the trumpet when i was younger, i can play the piano at present, and i can fiddle with the guitar, i wouldn't go so far as to say i can "play" it, but then most rock songs are pretty easy, as they mostly consists of power chords. (the solos are another matter =))

Jet_Master
08-02-2002, 04:15 PM
damn it! there should have been a "not yet" on the poll. I was planning to learn an instrument (sometime in my life)

jdinger
08-02-2002, 07:27 PM
I've been playing bass since October '96 and 6-string since late '00. I play guitar mostly now, though I fill in on bass at church every now and then if our regular bass player can't make it.

golfinguy4
08-02-2002, 08:08 PM
Baritone

tgm
08-02-2002, 08:56 PM
I play guitar. I think it would be a great instrument to start with. I would suggest taking a few classical lessons; it helps with technique not matter which style you'll eventually play.

Commander
08-02-2002, 09:50 PM
in my beging year, i played the clarinet, then the next year, i moved on to the bass clarinet, then this year, i'm back to the clarinet. I like that thing. I still listen to the mozart's Clarinet Concerto(edit sp)! That piece has something in it that i like!

Sunny
08-02-2002, 10:11 PM
I stated with a recorder, then moved on to guitar. Yes, of course you can learn. Actually , it's wonderfull you took the initative. I have to agree with tgm. I too started with classical guitar. It's fun!

Have a nice day.

civix
08-02-2002, 11:10 PM
...I play the trumpet.
And I hate it.
And I'm not allowed to stop.
Cause my mom wont let me.

I love speaking Haiku....

vasanth
08-02-2002, 11:54 PM
I play Max Payn and nothing else... Start with pac man if u r a beginer :) :)

mithrandir
08-03-2002, 04:18 AM
I've been playing the guitar for about 2 and a half years.

I can play the piano a little, but I never have bothered to learn much beyond a few scales, and some simple songs.

When I was in the 5th grade I wanted to play the saxaphone like my hero Lisa Simpson. But they wouldn't let me as too many kids go to sign up for it first. So I was left with either the obo or the trumpet. I chose the trumpet - but I was quite bad on it so I quit after a while. All that blowing and stuff...I have nothing but respect for good trumpeters!

tgm
08-03-2002, 07:42 AM
I figure this might be a good chance to plug my site (and my music). You can download and listen to some songs that I wrote and played.

http://aaronhanson.no-ip.com/music.html

I'd say 'duet' and 'simplicity' are pretty good.

Clyde
08-03-2002, 07:50 AM
" play the trumpet.
And I hate it."

Trumpet is not so great solo, but in big brass band it can rock, i remember playing Hawaii 5-O, Live and Let Die, McArthur Park, James Bond, Bat Man, etc. in a big bang, that was amazing.

incognito
08-03-2002, 08:40 AM
I used to play the piano.....damn that was a fun instrument.....:( stop playing it because of lack of good teachers in school.......I loved playing the piano.....( I even got a trophy in our piano class)............maybe I should buy me a keyboard..........damn :: gets teary eyes :: aahh the memories.........

incognito
08-03-2002, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Clyde
" play the trumpet.
And I hate it."

Trumpet is not so great solo, but in big brass band it can rock, i remember playing Hawaii 5-O, Live and Let Die, McArthur Park, James Bond, Bat Man, etc. in a big bang, that was amazing.

hehehe a really big BANG????? :D :p for some reason it made me think of banging.

Clyde
08-03-2002, 09:37 AM
oops, that should read big band, not big bang, heh =)

netboy
08-03-2002, 10:25 AM
I would love to know how to play the piano... But I only know how to play a guitar...

Pendragon
08-03-2002, 11:23 AM
I play the guitar, elec. bass, flute, sax and synths(though I'm not the best keyboardist in the world by any stretch)... I have a few other bits and bobs too... a clarinet, a few violins, a trumpet. But these are mainly just things I've acquired over time and I rarely play them(nor attempt to!).

Series X4 1.0
08-03-2002, 01:39 PM
synths.

Pen: Now when we're talking about instruments and music, can I ask you if you've asked him? Yes, I can ask that. Have you asked him?

I said that I would e-mail myself, but that's just because I was drunk. But I did send a rude email to him, and I got no response.

I know that he hates me and that he would never give me anything, but it would be interesting to know what his response was if you have asked him!

Dalren
08-03-2002, 04:01 PM
Ive been playing bass for a couple of years now. hmm i guess that brings the count to 2 bassits on cprog. Used to be able to play a little guitur but that was a while ago

----------------------------
Proud to be a gun carrying, freedom loving, Libertarian
Don't listen to Right-Wing propaganda, legalize it NOW!

xlnk
08-03-2002, 06:24 PM
Sublime:
"I can play the guitar like a mother f***** riot..."

dirkduck
08-03-2002, 09:22 PM
I play the turntables (or in other words, DJ), fun fun :)

Unregistered
08-03-2002, 09:51 PM
hello.

Guitar (classical, acoustic, and electric (ooh)), piano, and saxophone (alto and tenor) are my main areas of expertise. I've been playing piano for 9-10 years but I don't take lessons anymore. Saxophone around 6-7 years don't take lessons anymore. Guitar around 5 years still take lessons. I started with the classical guitar and worked up to acoustic/electric and now i have a fender strat. Actually I still have all three guitars...Anyone in need of a classical guitar? ;)

hermit
08-03-2002, 09:55 PM
yes i do ,
i dj - techno / house

Inept Pig
08-05-2002, 02:20 PM
I can play Bass guitar, six string (which is my prefered version of the guitar), harmonica (oh hell yeah), and piano... I also have had waaaay to much spare time in my life...

Megatron
08-05-2002, 09:30 PM
Guitar, Piano, Harmonica,

frenchfry164
08-05-2002, 09:40 PM
I can play just about every purcussive instrument, and a little bit of piano that I taught myself by reading some stuff on the internet.

I play percussion in the school's band, and I am a vocalist in a death metal band I made. when we record stuff I'll play the non-drumset stuff like the bongos to add a little effect to our recordings. I use CoolEdit Pro. I need to get a better mic system, because the one we got right now isn't too good. I burned a CD with our first song we wrote like a week ago (we just started the band like a couple months ago. not too active yet since everyone is on vacation now)

toaster
08-05-2002, 10:29 PM
piano: ~2 years
violin: ~5 years

both were my past hobbies until programming conquered it.
oh well.

novacain
08-05-2002, 10:58 PM
I started learning guitar in '87.

Hope to be able to play it soon.

doubleanti
08-17-2002, 12:08 AM
oooh music!

i play the guitar, and beatbox. :) bitha bitha eva evah ztttt. :)

um, i would like to relearn the trumpet, note to self: buy a trumpet... hm, and i agree playing classical guitar is wonderful.

wow penny, i wish i had that many instruments, if you have the books too you should learn them all! it'd help so much, everything would come together y'know...

golfinguy4
08-17-2002, 05:46 PM
Trumpets are good, but baritone's kick @ss.:D

compjinx
08-17-2002, 05:50 PM
>Do you play a musical instrument?
Hmmm, well if I fart and burp at the right times I can make musical-like sound.

Aran
08-17-2002, 05:56 PM
you sound great on your recordings, tgm!

maybe i can put some drums behind these tracks and we can have a non-meeting band.. hehe.

The melodic line of "Simplicity" is very well thought out.

dirkduck
08-18-2002, 11:52 AM
"i play the guitar, and beatbox"

I wanna hear some of that beatboxing! Make us a wav/mp3/ogg DA :).

doubleanti
08-18-2002, 11:57 AM
haha... i'll do that!!!

tgm
08-18-2002, 12:14 PM
Thanks AE. Make sure to send me a link if you do so I can listen.

I'm dying to hear DA beatbox. :)

foniks munkee
08-18-2002, 10:40 PM
Bass and Guitar - love the sound of a detuned bass...