PDA

View Full Version : Small Edit - Notepad Replacement

sean345
07-30-2002, 04:44 PM
I just finished a program I call Small Edit. It is a really small Text Editor. It is better than Notepad and has some nice features for HTML editing. If you have Windows 95 or higher could you download it and give it a try so I can see how it runs on other people's systems. I also want to know what you guy's think of it.

Thanks.

- Sean

TechWins
07-30-2002, 05:00 PM
You did a fantastic job. In fact I think this is one of the best things I've ever seen anybody make as an amatuer (assuming you are an amatuer). Did you use MFC or Win32 to make this? How long did it take you to make this? All I have to say is this is going to be my new text editor. Thanks a lot.:cool:

fletch
07-30-2002, 05:08 PM
I agree with everything Tech says. Definitely an outstanding job :)

fletch

Fountain
07-30-2002, 05:29 PM
ummm have no time to use it..let you know..have to say it ran very well though.

DISGUISED
07-30-2002, 05:39 PM
Runs just fine on Win2k Pro.

dbaryl
07-30-2002, 05:46 PM
Hey, this is great, too bad I didn't have it earlier :D

Works well under win98, I'll post if I find anything wrong with it (not likely, looks good)

sean345
07-30-2002, 06:19 PM
Thanks for your wonderful remarks. I programmed in C and used the Windows API. Glad to hear that is working on everyone's machines. Also, if you have any recommendations for the Insert->HTML menu, I would like to hear what they are.

- Sean

Commander
07-30-2002, 07:26 PM
THAT IS SO GOOD SEAN!!!!!!!

WOW!! i love it! and just as tech, it's my new text editor! i hated notepad in win98 becuase ctrl+s didn't work...that ........ed me off so bad:mad: but your editor is great. Great Job!

the HTML thing, you can add a BODY tag with all the usuall things such as BGCOLOR, ALINK, VLINK, LINK etc. (you could just change that in the FRAME thing.

a font tag with the FACE and SIZE

a LIST tag tith differene kinds of lists(bullet, ordered etc)

i can't think of anything else right now.. and in the insert, when i select QUICK LINK, it also adds a stylesheet link.
QUICK LINK::
<a href="http://" target="" name="" onMouseOver="window.status=''; return true;" onMouseOut="window.status=''; return true;"><link rel="stylesheet" href="filename.css" type="text/css"></a>

is that supposed to do that, or it was just a type-o?

sean345
07-30-2002, 07:47 PM
Cammander: I believe it is a mistake. I will check it out when I get a chance.

The actual programming of the editor took me about 2.5 weeks. I spent another week in the beginning researching what other text editors were like and writing some documentation on how I wanted it to work.

Thanks

- Sean

sean345
07-30-2002, 09:39 PM
Ok. Here is the new version for testing. I also updated my first post on this thread that had the origianal version.

Hopefully, the next version out will be the final release. Thanks for your guy's help.

- Sean

TechWins
07-30-2002, 10:54 PM
What does the new version add/fix/change; I haven't tried it out yet.

I have some ideas for you for html add-ons but they would actually probably be more like javascript

one could be a download counter script. i'm not sure how difficult this would be, but i know i would love to be able to have it:D

different javascript menus.

adding pictures (aka img src...)

font changing, allignment, and other effects for text

setting a .jpg as your background

can't wait to see more...

moi
07-31-2002, 02:52 AM
so far so good, try to follow K.I.S.S. with this program. my one request is a non-proportional font.

The Dog
07-31-2002, 04:00 AM
It's brilliant. That's as straight as I can be.:)
Perhaps in a few months Windows would come standard with small edit.;)

Unimatrix139
07-31-2002, 07:41 AM
Hmm... Time to upgrade from EDIT.COM I think! Its brilliant!

sean345
07-31-2002, 10:39 AM
The new version just added some new HTML script inserts. Glad you all enjoy it.

- Sean

salvelinus
07-31-2002, 04:14 PM
Looks good. One thing that might be nice is a line numbering, not just count, option. Great job.

VBprogrammer
07-31-2002, 04:40 PM
Looks really good Sean how about a word count? Or special programmable toolbar buttons?

sean345
07-31-2002, 04:45 PM
As for line numbering - On the bottom of the window is the status bar. On the right side is the current line number that the caret is on.

- Sean

VBprogrammer
07-31-2002, 04:46 PM
I know what he means Sean - he wants line numbers to appear beside what you type i.e.

1 Hi
2 Hello
3 Goodbye

sean345
07-31-2002, 04:54 PM
Ok. Sorry, I did not understand exactly what you meant.

- Sean

sean345
07-31-2002, 06:19 PM
Hopefully this is the final version. I have set it to version 1.00. I have also updated all the other attachments on this thread to the current version. If there are any erros let me know so I can fix them. I wanted to finish this up and release it quickly because I am ready to work on something else.

Thank you for all your comments and suggestions. Many I have included in this release.

I have been thinking about making an add-on program that will keep all your code (HTML, C/C++, etc...) in a database. From there you can sort, add, delete, and manipulate your entries and then copy and insert your code into Small Edit. This way I would not have hard code the HTML scripts into Small Edit. You could add all the entries you want. It would also come with some pre-set code samples as well. Tell me what you think about this idea.

Thanks again for all your effort and I hope you enjoy Small Edit. All other versions of Small Edit released will be on the Black Frog Studios web page which is in my signature.

- Sean

netboy
08-01-2002, 11:17 AM
A neat job. Well done. ;)

xlnk
08-01-2002, 04:33 PM
Wow! Excellent work! Im replacing notepad with this baby!

dbaryl
08-02-2002, 12:43 AM
Sean, if you ever do decide to make more changes, one of the things I'd like to see is the title of the document in the title bar (instead of "Small Edit"). This would be a helpful feature in distinguishing between multiple instances of the program.

mithrandir
08-02-2002, 02:10 AM
It's nice, but too low tech (no MDI, spell check, syntax highlighting - I'm spoilt by TextPad the ultimate text editor). But having said that, it is a very neat little application :)

dbaryl
08-02-2002, 02:13 AM
I personally like the "low-tech"ness of it. If I wanted something loaded with features I'll just use MSWord or equivalent, but this is neat in it's simplicity, once again, a great job!

Fordy
08-02-2002, 02:24 AM
It's a really good prog...well done!

Originally posted by [stealth]
It's nice, but too low tech (no MDI, spell check, syntax highlighting - I'm spoilt by TextPad the ultimate text editor). But having said that, it is a very neat little application :)

Ah I see my preaching @ FD regarding Textpad is paying off!!!

Its an awsome program.....I have added loads to my version by way of custom commands, templates, syntax highlights and I have even just added a build script for assember that assembles all my modules, compiles my resources (if I have one) links it, and then either runs it, or puts it into my debugger.......couldnt be easier to use now! :)

ober
08-02-2002, 06:05 AM
where can i get this Textpad you speak of? :)

Fordy
08-02-2002, 06:52 AM
Ugh....

www.textpad.com/ (http://www.textpad.com/)

The version you download is 100% usable, but it reminds you its an evaluation copy every few saves..........Its worth buying though

mithrandir
08-02-2002, 06:55 AM
www.downloads.com - search for "Text Pad" and you'll find it. It's not a large download either, which is a bonus.

But I think SmallPad may find a home on my desktop soon enough ;)

face_master
08-02-2002, 06:57 AM
>> The version you download is 100% usable, but it reminds you its an evaluation copy every few saves..........Its >> worth buying though

Have you bought it?