PDA

View Full Version : Fluoride...

Cheeze-It
07-30-2002, 01:24 PM
I know, this discussion has been brought up before.
But so has every other discussion. I also know
that a lot of you like the idea of a government
adding fluoride to a public water supply.

I'm just wondering... Why? This question is
strictly for the supporters. I'm not trying to
make this into a 'yes vs. no' argument. I just
want to know why people support it. Do you actually
care about stranger's teeth that much? (Unless
there are some other uses for fluoride. I don't
know a lot about the stuff. I don't care. Adding
anything to the public water supply just creeps
me out)...

Govtcheez
07-30-2002, 01:27 PM
It doesn't affect everyone - just those in the city... Having a well, whatever's added to the city water supply doesn't worry me...

About caring about strangers' teeth - you want everyone to look like Brits over here? :p

C_Coder
07-30-2002, 02:08 PM
I would say adding fluoride to the water is a bad idea, after all what happens if you drink to much? Over here there have been news items about some people's teeth going slightly transparent and you guessed it they all live in a fluoride area and drink a lot of tap water. I say add the fluoride to the toothpaste, then you know how much your getting.
On the general subject of having the goverment add stuff to the water, I agree it's creepy. But what else have they been adding? All sorts of suppressants(is that how it's spelt) to control your behaviour I would imagine.
I bet George Orwell is looking down saying "I told you so".

you want everyone to look like Brits over here?
Grrr what ya trying to say cheez

Hillbillie
07-30-2002, 02:21 PM
I'd say it's a bad idea too. If I want good teeth, I'll brush - simple as that.

>you want everyone to look like Brits over here?<

Heheh...

VBprogrammer
07-30-2002, 02:46 PM
Hey i'm not liking this laughting at Brits teeth whats that all about?

Hillbillie
07-30-2002, 03:34 PM
Heh, don't worry VB. It's just another classic, ignorant stereotype us Americans have of you Brits.

VBprogrammer
07-30-2002, 03:59 PM
I like it Ken Fitlike

Heh, don't worry VB. It's just another classic, ignorant stereotype us Americans have of you Brits.

The worst thing is most of them are English sterotypes but...

endo
07-30-2002, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Hillbillie

Stereotypes are a great thing aint they! But we luv our great fat american cousins really :D

Anyway does anyone here actually know enough about fluoride ions to give an educated opinion?

fletch
07-30-2002, 05:14 PM
But we luv our great fat american cousins really :DIt's not our fault we're fat. It's the fault of McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, and Kentucky Fried Chicken. That's why the fine fat people of New York are suing fast food restaurants. And it's why the fine skinny people of Congress are pushing a bill that says fat is bad.:D

fletch

Clyde
07-30-2002, 05:16 PM
There is less tooth-decay in areas with floridated water.

Fountain
07-30-2002, 05:25 PM
20 yrs ago there was.....if they did a new study, i am sure (know) that it is of not much relevance now. Habits have changed.

ygfperson
07-30-2002, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Clyde
There is less tooth-decay in areas with floridated water.
i'm glad someone finally brought that up.
(did you mean to spell it floridated, aka florida? or was that just a typo? it's flourinated, i think)

And it's why the fine skinny people of Congress are pushing a bill that says fat is bad.

have you actually seen congress? why do you think they have marble steps out in front of capital hill? :D

Clyde
07-30-2002, 05:36 PM
"did you mean to spell it floridated, aka florida? or was that just a typo? it's flourinated, i think"

Heh it was a typo :) And its fluoridated :)

endo
07-30-2002, 06:41 PM
close enough :D

Hillbillie
07-30-2002, 08:03 PM
Fitlike, don't ever change! :) You've got me in stitches over here...

Anyway, I wish I did have cloned teeth. I think I'm gonna have to visit the dentist next week. :(

d00b
07-30-2002, 09:12 PM
Another day, another argument... some say that fluoridated water is harmful... more say that it helps people grow and maintain healthier teeth...

IMO I drink a healthy amount of water and I have good teeth, I've never been terribly ill, I trust the water department

I hate those who have to question everything that we humans do...

novacain
07-30-2002, 10:20 PM
The way things are going here if we did not add things to the water there would be nothing in our dams.

Your worried about a chemical added to improve dental health (wether it does or not is irrelevant at this point).

Ever worry about the antibiotics, pesticides, growth hormones, colourings and preservatives added to our food?

I mean why
feed chickens colour to make their egg yolks yellower?
Dye prawns pink?
Feed cattle dead sheep?

VBprogrammer
07-31-2002, 01:56 PM
Hillbilllie i thought you where at the dentists last week...eww...i got to get out more. :)

Clyde
07-31-2002, 02:08 PM
"I hate those who have to question everything that we humans do..."

Questioning is good, as long as you are prepared to accept an answer you don't like.

Hillbillie
07-31-2002, 03:13 PM
>Hillbilllie i thought you where at the dentists last week...eww...i got to get out more.<

Yes, I was. That's my point. He fixed one of my toothaches, but I'm sure I still have a cavity. I think he missed it. :( Damn bastard... ;)