PDA

View Full Version : ANN: The Fourth Contest: Alarm Clock, sign up here

Pages : [1] 2

ygfperson
07-30-2002, 08:58 AM
Subject: An Alarm Clock
Description: Write an alarm clock program. It must have a console based interface. It should show and update the current time every second or more frequently. It should have an option to set the alarm time, and optionally the clock time, too. When the alarm time is reached, the computer should suitably alarm the user.
Criteria:
efficiency: don't let your computer work harder than it has to for your program
elligance: your code should be logically organized
portability: make your code compile on most platforms, without non-lint errors
Special Criteria:
interface: your code should be easy to operate and idiot-proof
Alarmability: a one in this category won't wake insomniacs up. A five in this category will be declared a national emergency. (or at least a breach of the peace)

note: Writing an alarm clock program is possible without breaching any portability rules. Sometimes, though, you might want to incorporate some common but non-standard functions to help increase your Interface score. If you choose to do that, try to make sure that the increase in Interface points is greater or equal to the decrease in portability points.

signed up contestants: 6 slots left
goose
fletch
vasanth
dual-catfish

signed up judges: all slots filled
ygfperson
shaik786
d00b
klinerr1

(note: i did mention in the c++ design thread that i intended judges to be permenent. i've decided to hold off on that 'til the next contest, for simplicity's sake. just sign up like normal)

Send all completed entries, attached, to geoschnee2@thetruth.com .

Remember, above all, make sure your program works. :D

goose
07-30-2002, 10:12 AM
How can I sign up as a contestant?

Unregistered
07-30-2002, 01:53 PM
Maybe they should be able to play a specified file upon 'alarming'. Nothing like waking up to the Ghostbusters theme or 'Can't touch this.'!

ygfperson
07-30-2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by goose
How can I sign up as a contestant?
just respond to this thread (which was you just did). send your entry to my e-mail address before the deadline is up. the deadline is next monday midnight, EST.

forgot to put up my e-mail address... i guess i'll do it now. i prefer that you send a zip file with the entry in it, but i'll accept raw source files, too.

ygfperson
07-30-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
Maybe they should be able to play a specified file upon 'alarming'. Nothing like waking up to the Ghostbusters theme or 'Can't touch this.'!
that's somewhat touched upon in the post up there. the problem with this idea is that it's not portable across platforms. there's no easy way to do it even disregarding portability, afaik. if you hardwired your program to a specific tune, maybe played by the pc speakers, that could work well.
whatever you choose to do, just remember my point above. if you choose to disregard some aspect of portability, the benefits gained should be worth it.

fletch
07-30-2002, 05:01 PM
I'll ante up.

/* edit */ BTW, I voted for the quiz program

vasanth
07-31-2002, 08:39 AM
I am in....

shaik786
07-31-2002, 11:29 AM
I'll judge

d00b
07-31-2002, 03:03 PM
I'll judge too

Klinerr1
07-31-2002, 11:39 PM
i would like to be the judge after doob

moi
08-01-2002, 03:26 AM
hmm i'd like to sign up but am not familiar with what are ansi standard library functions and what arent. anyone know where some sort of listing is?

vasanth
08-01-2002, 04:18 AM
I have mailed my entry...

Hammer
08-01-2002, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by moi
hmm i'd like to sign up but am not familiar with what are ansi standard library functions and what arent. anyone know where some sort of listing is?
There are various sites, here's one (http://www.dinkumware.com/htm_cl/index.html).

ygfperson
08-01-2002, 08:27 AM
i got yours, vasanth

to all judges: you must know the rules of judging. in short, score on a one to five scale for each category, and give me some reason why it deserved that mark. give me your e-mail addresses so i can send you the entries on tuesday. all entries need to be judged by saturday night, which means you have a period from monday night to saturday night, 5 days. if you don't get something into me by that time i'm going to judge without that input.

shaik786: i think i already have your e-mail address from when you sent in the entry, so you don't need to tell me again.

d00b
08-01-2002, 09:01 AM
Well it's in my profile... but here it is anyway

bmj@tilted.com

The Dog
08-01-2002, 11:37 AM
Would OpenGL pass for console graphics?

I'm unsure of what would be accepted.
What is meant by console graphics?
Or should this be done only with simple
graphics libraries such as BGI or whatever?

d00b
08-01-2002, 01:09 PM
I believe "console based" is reffering to anything that can be done in Windows console mode... and so openGL is out

I might be wrong though..... I'm sorry if I am

icarus
08-01-2002, 01:29 PM

You might try reading the faq. I'm pretty sure console graphics are covered in there.

ygfperson
08-01-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by The Dog

I'm unsure of what would be accepted.
What is meant by console graphics?
Or should this be done only with simple
graphics libraries such as BGI or whatever?
ideally, graphics should be cross-platform. unfortunately, total portability is impossible without the use of libraries. (and even most of the time, with). the only truly cross-platform enviroment is the text console, and this is what the portability score will reflect. if you are going to use graphics, i would suggest the sdl, because it can work in both windows and linux.

if you're going to do graphics, follow these rules:
1)use only functions that do the equivalent of direct pixel plotting, rectangular blitting, or screen clearing.
2) don't waste time on your interface. your program matters much more.
3) remember that portability points drop with the use of graphics.

i recommend against them. you're writing an alarm clock, not a first person shooter. besides, compiling and using opengl graphics are difficult to do. remember that not everyone has a 3d graphics card.

moi
08-02-2002, 01:48 PM
sorry about the confusion ygfperson, i have decided not to sign up for this contest

Prelude
08-02-2002, 02:11 PM
>A five in this category will be declared a national emergency. (or at least a breach of the peace)
Have it reformat the hard drive. :D

-Prelude

vasanth
08-02-2002, 11:44 PM
Looks like we have more judges than coontestants....

ygfperson
08-03-2002, 12:15 AM
yeah...
not much i can do about that. there's always hope that other will sign up. maybe next contest i should limit the number of judges to 3.

Have it reformat the hard drive. :D
true, that would be quite alarming. i was thinking more along the lines of sound...
like the sound of a magnetic head etching a scar into the smooth-coated platters... :D

(where's that devil emoticon when you need one? :))

Inquirer
08-03-2002, 12:59 PM
Will you post the source and .exe of the winner? I am relatively new to C++ and i would realy like to see a good program in action and source.

~Inquirer

ygfperson
08-03-2002, 01:01 PM
we always do that, with the source. sometimes there's the exe's, too, but mostly not. any normal compiler should give you the exe if you input the source, though.

Inquirer
08-03-2002, 01:02 PM
i'm not really familiar with ur contests.

Dual-Catfish
08-03-2002, 02:13 PM
Sign me up. It doesn't seem like a project that will take me too long... I get home from vacation tonight or tommorow. I've been thinking about this a little bit, hopefully I'll be finished in time.

I seriously doubt the competence of one or more of the judges... I don't think you should be allowing anyone to just come and say "I'll Judge". They a) Should be known around here ~200+ posts b) Is not a complete moron c) Is a pretty good coder

fletch
08-03-2002, 06:15 PM
Should I comment extensively, or can I rely on the judges to be able sort through my alarm clock? If I need to comment, what's the appropriate 'level of commenting?' i.e.

// This block of code does...
-or-
// This line sets x equal to y

fletch

Hammer
08-03-2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by fletch
Should I comment extensively, or can I rely on the judges to be able sort through my alarm clock? If I need to comment, what's the appropriate 'level of commenting?' i.e.

-or-

Try reading the last couple of posts in this one (http://www.cprogramming.com/cboard/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22396) and viewing Prelude's source code. That should give you some guidelines.

moi
08-03-2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Dual-Catfish

I seriously doubt the competence of one or more of the judges...

Klinerr1? don't blame ya :D

ygfperson
08-03-2002, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by fletch

-or-

fletch
spin your choice. but if i had to choose, definately the first type(block of code does...), and definately not the second type (line x = y).

vasanth
08-03-2002, 10:33 PM
Ohh boy.. I already submited my entry and i dint write even a piece of commewnt in the source..

d00b
08-03-2002, 10:41 PM
(my eyes tend to pass over comments anyway)

ygfperson
08-03-2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by vasanth
Ohh boy.. I already submited my entry and i dint write even a piece of commewnt in the source..
you can submit an entry as many times as you want. the final entry will be the one excepted. (i'm sure you knew this, but some ofhers might've not)

fletch
08-03-2002, 11:45 PM
I've submitted my entry. With comments. :)

fletch

vasanth
08-04-2002, 12:49 AM
well yes i knew that.. :) i submited my last contest entry almost 5 times i think... :) Well this time i cant since i have a very tight shedulde...... Any way i am hoping for the best..

ygfperson
08-04-2002, 11:23 AM
i've gotten entries from fletch and goose. there are 3 confirmed entries.

//edit: i've managed to compile all the entries and run them correctly (vasanth's with a great bit of difficulty... thank god borland lets people download turbo 2.01)

Klinerr1
08-04-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by ygfperson

you can submit an entry as many times as you want. the final entry will be the one excepted. (i'm sure you knew this, but some ofhers might've not) cool cause i ddint know that

moi
08-04-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Klinerr1
cool cause i ddint know that

nice to know that all the judges know all the rules :rolleyes:

ygfperson
08-04-2002, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by moi

nice to know that all the judges know all the rules :rolleyes:

it's not like he needed to know that... i'm the one accepting the entries.

vasanth
08-05-2002, 06:54 AM
Though it compiled now.. do i loose points for portability or sometin........ :)

ygfperson
08-05-2002, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by vasanth
Though it compiled now.. do i loose points for portability or sometin........ :)
probably yes. your program is only compilable on the borland turbo c 3.x, or borland turbo 2.1 with the change of textmode(C4350) to textmode(C80).

but the important thing is that it compiled, which means we can judge it in the first place.

//edit: checks thread for deadline... finds out he forgot to put it there :o :o

it's monday night, dual-catfish, eastern standard time, just fyi. i think it was mentioned on the contest design thread earlier... ;)

goose
08-05-2002, 11:03 AM
Do we lose portability points if our application fails to compile on a non standards compliant compiler, or does portability mean just getting it to compile on as many compilers as is possible?

I tested on gcc -ansi (win32 via mingw, and solaris), cc, and lc -ansic (lcc-win32), and figured that this would be considered faily sufficient for portability (assuming I made no errors).

Would it be possible for contestants to be given a specific list of compilers that will be used in testing (and appropriate flags)? It would not be too hard to list the compilers sufficient for broad portability.

This would guaruntee both that the contestants know what is expected, and that the judges use appropriate criteria.

ygfperson
08-05-2002, 12:09 PM
portability means that the program works (important), and that it compiles without error on as many platforms and compilers as possible. i'm not going to expect the programs to compile on anything other than an intel x86 computer.

i'm not going to list compilers used, since the judges have different compilers they use, but ideally it should compile on ms vc++, borland's current modern compiler, and modern versions of gcc (2.95.3 and above).

often people use nonstandard functions (like the conio.h ones) to improve their interface. if a program used conio.h it wouldn't compile on linux machines, which would count in the portability scores.

Inquirer
08-05-2002, 02:28 PM
when will the judging be finished? I saw that today is the deadline

ygfperson
08-05-2002, 03:24 PM
at the deadline or the morning after i'll send all the code to the various judges, who then have until friday night to give me their opinions and scores in each category. (scores are based on a 1 to 5 scale.) then it's my turn to average the scores together, post the results thread, and let the next poll be posted.

note: if a judge forgets or doesn't have time to give me something, i'll just deal with the scores and opinions i got.

the results thread should be up by sunday

ygfperson
08-05-2002, 09:35 PM
twenty minutes left! if you're still up to the challenge, dual-catfish, submit it soon

got an unexpected entry from clownpimp.

d00b
08-05-2002, 09:53 PM
*closes Textris project*
Ooooh boy :)

ygfperson
08-06-2002, 02:57 AM
i've e-mailed the judges the contest entries.

vasanth
08-06-2002, 03:39 AM
Hey if my text mode is changed.. the entire interface will mess up.. please have a look.. the exe i sent you is how the program is expected to look... when compiled.. with the text mode i set..