PDA

View Full Version : WindowsXP Security

Dude101
09-30-2001, 01:00 PM
Hi, I'm a hacker, well sort of. I can hack into something that doesn't have TOO much security. I was wondering, how secure is Windows XP? Windows2k has so many security holes I can just walk through, but how is XP? Good encryption? Also, is there a server version of it?

Generator
09-30-2001, 01:25 PM
I thought hacking was a term for writing code and cracking is what the media calls hacking... I could be wrong?

Flarelocke
09-30-2001, 01:44 PM
Someone who hacks can probably crack too. Hacking doesn't necessarily involve exploiting security weaknesses. Doing so is called cracking by those who call themselves hackers(and have done so since the dawn of the computer age)

rick barclay
09-30-2001, 03:13 PM
It's too early to tell. MY God, there's only betas and cracked
copies of the program out there! Keep your shirt on dude.
You'll get your hacks and cracks. Be patient.

rick barclay

/dev/null
09-30-2001, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Dude101
Hi, I'm a hacker, well sort of. I can hack into something that doesn't have TOO much security. I was wondering, how secure is Windows XP? Windows2k has so many security holes I can just walk through, but how is XP? Good encryption? Also, is there a server version of it?

rofl your not even close to a hacker if you have to ask those kinds of questions... what can you hack? a comp with file/sharing?

nvoigt
10-01-2001, 02:35 AM
I can hack into something that doesn't have TOO much security.

lol... yes. I can hack down a tree, too, given a sharp axe.

If you can't get XP and try it for yourself, you should stay
at home playing games.

Dude101
10-01-2001, 07:17 PM
lol, i can get WindowsXP, i just dont wanna be one of them warez pirates. I'm just curious about how it is. Is it like Win2k security?

-KEN-
10-01-2001, 08:20 PM
lately I've just been rationalizing by saying that if it's from microsoft, it's not pirating. Just makes sense somehow...like on some igher level my conscience knows I'm right so it won't bother me about it. give it a try.

/dev/null
10-01-2001, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Dude101
lol, i can get WindowsXP, i just dont wanna be one of them warez pirates. I'm just curious about how it is. Is it like Win2k security?

warez pirates? obviously you dont know the first thing about hacking... how can you break into something if you dont understand how it works? just download XP and set it up on a lan and then youll get the answer to your question... personnally i think microsoft was retarded in including raw-sockets in XP... its gonna be a DDOS heaven... also if your gonna get into hacking learn unix or linux... i dont trust anything made by microsoft...

-KEN-
10-01-2001, 08:33 PM
don't poke fun at people for their questions, Recycle Bin (I've demoted you to your microsoft equivalent :p) you sound like this kid hassif in my first hour class...

/dev/null
10-01-2001, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by -KEN-
don't poke fun at people for their questions, Recycle Bin (I've demoted you to your microsoft equivalent :p) you sound like this kid hassif in my first hour class...

and you sound like an arrogant little lammer
and no im not in your class i dont live in the us

-KEN-
10-01-2001, 08:48 PM
uh oh, next he might break out 31337 h4x0r language on me, boys and girls...

and how would you know how arrogant I am if you haven't met me before?! ooops...did I say that one out loud....? damn my backsace key not working right.

doubleanti
10-01-2001, 10:42 PM
oh c'mon... peace please...

we all see ken in this community as the misguided naive, but well to do kiddo who makes silly posts now and then but is here to learn with the rest of us...

well, the latter part stands... c'mon...

Thantos
10-02-2001, 01:10 AM
ROFLMAO
Good I love flame wars. Since it was asked here are two good definations of cracker and hacker.

From Newton's Telecom Dictionary 17th Edition

Cracker - A person who "cracks" computer and telephone systems by gaining access to passwords, or by "cracking" the copy protection of computer software. A cracker usally does illegal acts. A Cracker is a "Hacker" who hacks are beyond the bounds of propriety, and usally beyond the law. The term "cracker" is said to be derived from the word A"safecracker."

Hacker - A person who "hacks" away at a computer until his program works. The term has been wrongly used by the press to mean people who break into computer systems. The word hacker has gone through many meanings. In the late 1950s MIT students who loved to tinker with teh university's gigantic early computers started calling themselves "hackers." At one stage being a hacker was a badge of honer conferred on an elite programmer of computer hardware designer. But in the 1983 move "War Games" presented another view of the hacker mentality - someone who tries to break into computer systems for fun and sport. Today the term tends to ahve positive meanings, while the word "cracker" is reserved for individuals who willfully break into computer systems seeking to wreak damage.

-KEN-
10-02-2001, 07:50 AM
if I were a mod, DA's post wouldn't have lasted too long.

long live MessageBoard communism, right dean?

rick barclay
10-02-2001, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by -KEN-
lately I've just been rationalizing by saying that if it's from microsoft, it's not pirating. Just makes sense somehow...like on some igher level my conscience knows I'm right so it won't bother me about it. give it a try.

Whew! Thanks Ken. I feel so much better now. My conscience
was really driving me crazy. :)

rick barclay

-KEN-
10-02-2001, 03:33 PM
it should be! with all the stuff you've pirated and published on your site without consent...bad rick!

rick barclay
10-02-2001, 03:36 PM
SSSSHHHHHH!!!!

DavidP
10-02-2001, 05:31 PM
It's too early to tell. MY God, there's only betas and cracked
copies of the program out there!

betas? yeah...*ahem ahem*....okay....*whistiling....watching the XP screen saver*. actually, betas and cracked copies arent the only copys out. i heard that MSDN members can get it now legally.

rick barclay
10-03-2001, 01:22 PM
True, true.

rick barclay