PDA

View Full Version : MainBoard for running Linux

Kelvin
07-17-2002, 01:57 PM
the chipsets of my mainboard now is VIA.
but VIA doesn't offer any drivers for Linux
when I try installing redhat 7.3, it seems much slower than windows in GUI mode.
My friend told me it maybe due to the chipset.......has no drivers......

so, i would like to ask everyone, to suggest a better hardware environment for me to run linux
I prefer using AMD CPU(but i don't hate intel)
and now my mainboard is MP7-VIP-AX2 2.0
with 768 SDRAM,
AMD Althon 1.1G
I want it to be a server

Can you please give me some ideas ?

ober
07-17-2002, 01:59 PM
umm... usually the GUI IS much slower in Linux, but this could also be due to your video card... I had the same problem with Mandrake Linux and I only had to update the video drivers for it to work fine ;) (although not as fast as windows GUI)

Troll_King
07-17-2002, 02:04 PM
That's strange because KDE is just as fast as Win2k or XP on my hardware.

Kelvin
07-17-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by ober5861
umm... usually the GUI IS much slower in Linux, but this could also be due to your video card... I had the same problem with Mandrake Linux and I only had to update the video drivers for it to work fine ;) (although not as fast as windows GUI)

My Video card is GeFore 4 MX 440
is it not compatible with Linux ?
I found that if I enter GUI mode, the performane is much worse than windows(though some simple jobs)

Kelvin
07-17-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Troll_King
That's strange because KDE is just as fast as Win2k or XP on my hardware.

oh~
Can you please list out your hardware ?

Unregistered
07-17-2002, 02:08 PM
i believe that every major distrobution including redhat has a complete list of compatible hardware on their websites. i would check there before you start buying stuff...

Troll_King
07-17-2002, 02:14 PM
I have an ATI Rage 128 video card, however that probably isn't going to help too much. You should check out he compatability list on the Red Hat website. My CPU is AMD and motherboard is VIA Technologies.

The desktops operate at about the same speed. I'm running Linux 7.3. I also have it on another computer(2) and it runs quite fast (on a stupid emachine). The other posters are not even running Linux.

Kelvin
07-17-2002, 02:19 PM
oh~ it seems that I am unlucky :(
I can't accept the large speed difference between win & linux
but I love linux >< (however, I am not a expert)

Troll_King
07-17-2002, 02:21 PM
Mine isn't installed as a server at the moment though, just a workstation.

Nick
07-17-2002, 08:25 PM
You really shouldn't have *any* lag time, with that cpu and ram, without running something else. You should run top to see what's eating up cpu time.

Kelvin
07-18-2002, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by Nick
You really shouldn't have *any* lag time, with that cpu and ram, without running something else. You should run top to see what's eating up cpu time.

How to check ??:confused:

raimo
07-18-2002, 06:05 AM
If your GUI is slower than Windows, then you are running the wrong GUI.

top is a command which shows the processes using much processor speed. ps -aux is also useful or ps -ax

see man top; man ps

ober
07-18-2002, 06:18 AM
The other posters are not even running Linux.

whatever Dean...

You really shouldn't have *any* lag time, with that cpu and ram, with

not true... my system is faster than the one he is describing at my GUI lags like a MFer... and I've used several different GUIs... KDE, Gnome, Gnome w/ Enlightenment, Black Widow, etc...

You can have the fastest machine on the planet and the wrong video driver/settings and it'll run like ****.

Troll_King
07-18-2002, 06:30 AM
Change the settings than. KDE has sharper graphics and it runs at the same speed as WinXP or Win2K. At least on my computers.

Kelvin
07-18-2002, 06:40 AM
All X setting doesn't set manually.
When I install Redhat 7.3, I just choose my card, during testing, I can see the message and click OK.
And I install both KDE and GNOME.
So is it better if I change the configuration manually ?

ygfperson
07-18-2002, 06:43 AM
afaik, the via chipset is supported. if worst comes to worst, you can always recompile your kernel.

why would you need a fast gui if you are using it as a server?
i have:
1 ghz amd
128 mb ram
voodoo3 3000 agp video card
ali chipset

and the gui works reasonably fast.

Troll_King
07-18-2002, 06:46 AM
When you reboot does it boot into the GUI, does xwindows start?

Kelvin
07-18-2002, 08:31 AM
When you reboot does it boot into the GUI, does xwindows start?

Yes, X-Windows starts automatically.
Everything work properly(I think :P)
the only problem is : slow

Kelvin
07-18-2002, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by ygfperson
afaik, the via chipset is supported. if worst comes to worst, you can always recompile your kernel.

why would you need a fast gui if you are using it as a server?
i have:
1 ghz amd
128 mb ram
voodoo3 3000 agp video card
ali chipset

and the gui works reasonably fast.
becuase I just have one computer, besides server, my computer will do all thing (e.g. programming, surfing internet)
recompile kernel? do I need to change anything ?

Nick
07-18-2002, 09:19 AM
What I mean is that's it's been my experience that the normal vga or svga drivers perform fine and that was on a pentium 2. Besides making sure there's no runaway proccess, make sure the mouse is hw accelerated, the resolution and refresh rate are set properly, check the driver spefic file that comes with the xserver to make sure your not doing anything like setting it to 1024x748 and 32 bit color etc. It would be a good idea to dump X11's start up to a file.