PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recommend a good editor

Unregistered
09-29-2001, 09:39 AM
Yeah, I am taking in a C++ Programming class at my local high school. At the school they have Visual C++ 6. Which I have found to be a very friendly environment, especially the color coded editor, for most people it doesnt make a whole lot of a difference, but for me, it just makes it a lot easier. Unfortunately, I do not have the privelage of having the Visual C++ 6 app at home, and we are expected to do a considerable amount of our work at home. What I am asking, is if anyone knows any freeware/shareware apps that mimic the internal editor in Visual C++, just one with similar color coding, auto-indenting, etc. etc. I am sorry if it seems like im poluting your message board, but ive been looking for a few weeks with no success, and i am pretty desperate.

Salem
09-29-2001, 10:28 AM
http://download.cnet.com/

"syntax color" in the search box.

No idea how similar to vc++ editor any of them are

taylorguitarman
09-29-2001, 10:37 AM
Many people use Dev C++. It's free and it has a similar layout to VC++. I'm a big fan of code completion so I like to do my serious developing with VC++ but for small test programs and such Dev C++ isn't too bad. Hey, it's free.

Cprogrammer
09-29-2001, 10:45 AM
I have been in the same situation as you my friend.
To downlaod Visual C++ download KaZaa from www.cnet.com
On that program you can search for VC++ and download it.
Thats how I got it and its full version for free about 75 MB.

taylorguitarman
09-29-2001, 10:59 AM
Hey wait. Are we promoting piracy here???
Besides morpheous is better.
www.musiccity.com
Be careful though there are quite a few viruses floating about so make sure you scan the file before you use it.

Cprogrammer
09-29-2001, 11:04 AM
LOL :)
I heared of that too.
They are all similar to Napster. Its all file sharing.

doubleanti
09-29-2001, 01:18 PM
hmm... i would like a DEV style compiler that allows you to use a 3-rd party compiler... [*cough* DJGPP *cough*]... in it... thx... ideas?

Flarelocke
09-29-2001, 03:44 PM
If you only want a simple editor that does syntax coloring and not a whole IDE, try Scintilla(available at sourceforge.net).

Hillbillie
09-30-2001, 12:54 AM
TextPad is what I use. You can get plugins for different docs (C/C++, HTML, ASM, ASP, etc.)

It's shareware at textpad.com I think.