PDA

View Full Version : Small Utility Ideas

sean
07-10-2002, 02:44 PM
Well I got a web site all set up, but I have nothing to put on it, so I was thinking of doing a collection of small utilities, and having them downloadable. I've thought of one - a CGI editor, but I'm really stuck for ideas. Anyone got any? I'm just looking for smal utility style program suggestions.

Dual-Catfish
07-10-2002, 05:47 PM
Disable the Windows key, either left or right.
I noticed a couple of friends were popping these keys out with a screwdriver before playing Counter-Strike, so they wouldn't accidentally hit it. (If you've ever played the game, you'll know you almost always lose the sound)

So one night I decided i'd make a program to do it... it's sloppy as hell, and it was done in MFC, but it only took me 30 minutes and it works :)

Xmevs
07-10-2002, 05:53 PM
I've been thinking of doing some small utilities myself. But just like Sean, I'm out of ideas...

Sebastiani
07-10-2002, 05:53 PM
That's pretty cool, DC...

sean
07-10-2002, 07:26 PM
Well isn't that pretty much impossible? I mean, you can't override system characteristics, can you?

Klinerr1
07-10-2002, 08:22 PM
make a windows app that you can keep shortcuts to files in it. (that the user can change) so whoever uses t can easily acces files they commonly use. and have an olption if u want the app to stay on top of everything or not. this sounds sorta big and hard. but very useful.

Dual-Catfish
07-10-2002, 09:16 PM
Well isn't that pretty much impossible? I mean, you can't override system characteristics, can you?

Well I did, didn't I?

fyodor
07-11-2002, 06:02 AM
make a windows app that you can keep shortcuts to files in it. (that the user can change) so whoever uses t can easily acces files they commonly use. and have an olption if u want the app to stay on top of everything or not. this sounds sorta big and hard. but very useful.

Wouldn't that be the desktop? Or any other folder?

cozman
07-11-2002, 11:17 AM
how did you disable it? i've looked through msdn and google for info on this and found none that worked. Care to share part of your source?

sean
07-11-2002, 02:22 PM
Well thanks for all the ideas! I'm with Fyodor on this one - and cozman too, despite the fact that they're too completely unrelated topics. Desktop can have shortcuts to files as long as the program that they are designed to be edited by is registered and associated in the system records with that file type. AS far as cozman goes: That's another thing I might be getting into - bugfixes and similar things. For now - I'm still trying to figure out this Universal Equation thing I'm working on...

Dual-Catfish
07-11-2002, 04:01 PM
http://is-it-true.org/nt/registry/rtips92.shtml
I modified it a bit to give you the option of either left or right :)