PDA

View Full Version : screen in standby mode at startup

bennyandthejets
07-09-2002, 05:33 AM
im putting together an old computer i just got my hands on, and im having big trouble.

when i turn it on, the screen doesn't come on. it stays in a sort of standby mode, but i can hear the BIOS or HDD or whatever it is ticking away like it normally does when you start a computer.

has anyone ever run into this problem? if so give me a buzz

bennyandthejets

ober
07-09-2002, 05:48 AM
we need more clues... have you checked the video card? Are you sure the monitor cables are ok and connected properly? If it's old, are you even sure the monitor is fully functional?

Are you getting the normal beep codes from the system? Have you tried other equipment (ie. video card, monitor, etc)?

bennyandthejets
07-09-2002, 05:59 AM
ive tried two video cards, two monitors(which i know are in working condition), two hard drives, different ram chips, etc.

another things is, sometimes(rarely), it actually does work after about 30 seconds. then i get the normal startup stuff like BIOS and RAM check. but then, i get an error which says there is a stuff up with the HDD slave/master settings. now i have checked the jumper settings a hundred times, and according to the label attached to the HDD, the drive is set to master mode, and it is the only drive on that IDE port.

but thats another problem. for now id just like to know how to fix the bloody screen.

what do you mean by normal beep codes?

bennyandthejets

shaik786
07-09-2002, 06:02 AM
I think the problem is due to some loose connectivity between your Video Card and your monitor. If the Video Card was defective, you would get an alert, since you are not getting it, I think the Video card is ok. Check you cables.

ober
07-09-2002, 06:15 AM
no, that's not true. you will not always get "an alert". If you're getting something after 30 seconds or so sometimes, maybe we should be asking how old this computer is... what's the processor and info like that.

by beep codes, your bios should beep at least once maybe twice on bootup. Are you getting these?

ober
07-09-2002, 06:16 AM
oh, also try taking the video card out and making sure it is seated properly. your contacts might be deteriorated a bit and maybe that's where the loose connection is.

bennyandthejets
07-09-2002, 06:18 AM
i just chucked on my other monitor, same stuff. the comp just sits there, with the screen in standby.

i also put on my other video card - to no avail.

what can i do? maybe its my motherboard?

bennyandthejets

netboy
07-09-2002, 10:27 AM
Yes.. yes... I have a similar problem with my old PC... When I start the PC, the harddisk will do all the reading and i think the PC is started correctly but my monitor says "No signal"...

What is the problem actually? I checked the ports and cables.... still no avail...

MethodMan
07-09-2002, 03:02 PM
YOU STOLE MY AVATAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ober
07-09-2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by MethodMan
YOU STOLE MY AVATAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROFLMAO!!!! HAHAHAHAHA... that was so unexpected and so damn hilarious all at the same time :D

bennyandthejets
07-10-2002, 04:12 AM
not true
that avatar could have come from anyone or anywhere

last i heard storm troopers were common property and not copyrighted to anyone

back to the computer, its quite possible the processor or motherboard has just plain konked out. my grandfather shipped it by sea from california to victoria(victoria is in aussie by the way), so something might have happened on the way

i spoke to him though and he said it had always worked fine for him.

bennyandthejets

ober
07-10-2002, 06:01 AM
my guess would be that your mobo is toast. sorry :(

minesweeper
07-10-2002, 09:31 AM
what does ROFLMAO stand for?

ober
07-10-2002, 09:45 AM
Rolling on the floor laughing my a$$ off ;)

Dual-Catfish
07-10-2002, 09:55 AM
Bah, the motherboard does a self test at powerup. If everything checks out alright, if it's receiving all the right voltages, it powers up everything else. My guess is there's a faulty connection in the AT/ATX power cord connected to your motherboard. Get a voltometer (I think that's what it's called) and check the power that the motherboard is getting is correct.

Commander
07-10-2002, 12:03 PM
check your autoexe file, there might be something in there thats setting the computer in standby mode at startup..
if that doesn't help, don't turn of your computer at all, leave it on:D

ober
07-10-2002, 12:12 PM
hey, genius... he said he can't even get it to boot half the time and have a PICTURE... so how the HELL is he supposed to check the autoexec file???

MethodMan
07-10-2002, 02:45 PM
>not true
that avatar could have come from anyone or anywhere

>last i heard storm troopers were common property and not copyrighted to anyone

IT could have come from anywhere, But I had it FIRST. I didnt say I made the thing, there are millions of things you can have for an avatar, yet you choose to take the one I have!

Commander
07-10-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by ober5861
hey, genius... he said he can't even get it to boot half the time and have a PICTURE... so how the HELL is he supposed to check the autoexec file??? Hey bud, chill! I didn't read half the posts and for the other half, i just scanned for the word autoexe, i didn't find it, and so i posted..so shoot me!

bennyandthejets
07-10-2002, 06:23 PM
yo methodman

ok, so i did steal that avatar, but anyway, i didn't take it off you, i remember

so someone else stole it first!

dual catfish, i have a voltometer(actually, its called a multimeter), but where exactly do i checked the voltages?

Dual-Catfish
07-10-2002, 06:45 PM
Bah, my friend's an electrician, i'll ask him.

Alright, just prod the connectors on the end of the main power supply cord which plugs into your motherboard. Each connector should have a marking on the front of the plastic which encases it (like GRND, +4 or something) Check that all of these match up (or are in an acceptable range)

_________
|||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||
/ ||||||||||||| \
\___ _____
\ | _ |
\| (_) |
| |
|____|

I'm sure someone around here's an electrician, they'll probably be able to give you a better description then me. Hopefully you'll be able to figure it out from my amazing diagram.

Edit:: Wow that got messed up!

bennyandthejets
07-10-2002, 09:30 PM
dual are you talking about the power supply-motherboard connector with the twenty wires?

i can see voltage markings next to the connector, so do i just stick one of the multi meter probes in it and measure the voltage?

Dual-Catfish
07-10-2002, 10:23 PM
Yes.

And it's not in "standby" it's simply not powered up yet.

lightatdawn
07-10-2002, 10:43 PM
So I'm enjoying the part where somebody is telling somebody else who doesnt know them to stick stuff into vaugely explained places and this person is guessing on the location and asking what he should stick in where.

... Is it just me or is that really quite funny? :D

... To my understanding, dual-catfish is correct; but the usage of words like "prod" and "stick" in conjuction with large amounts of electricity amuse me anyhow.

Dual-Catfish
07-10-2002, 11:05 PM
Hey I did my best! I even drew him a diagram. If you can't understand the diagram... then you're an idiot. It's perfect in every aspect.

I don't know all the correct terms, but prod seems to mean the long pokey like things that jut out of the thing that measures how much power you're getting.

To my understanding.. not much power is surging through those individual wires. Ah well, if we don't hear back from benny, we'll know he made a mistake.

lightatdawn
07-10-2002, 11:42 PM
LOL, yes. You're correct in all respects but I still thought it seemed funny.

>>Ah well, if we don't hear back from benny, we'll know he made a mistake.

That was the picture i was getting.

"Hmm... prod... in here? ...
... nope... stick in here? ...
nope... prod...
... in

*BZZZAP!!*

bennyandthejets
07-11-2002, 05:44 AM
ok, im all ready and psyched to do this voltage testing

if i dont come back, well.......

so i should thank you now for the help you've given me and all the (possibly bad) advice

here i go........

bennyandthejets
07-11-2002, 05:56 AM
damnit

ok. what i did was switch my meter over to measure DC volts over a range of 0 to 10 v. then i took out the power attachment from the motherboard. powering up the... power supply, i slowly took up the two probes in my hands( one red, one black). i inserted the negative(black) probe into a terminal with an (apparently) grounded wire running through, and tried the positive probe with a number of other terminals (rumored by the power supply casing to have a positive voltage). but to no avail.

dual, your electrician friend would come in handy now....

PS. some of the positive terminals had voltage, like 3.3V, but if i changed which grounded terminal i was using, it stopped working. weird....

ober
07-11-2002, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by Commander
Hey bud, chill! I didn't read half the posts and for the other half, i just scanned for the word autoexe, i didn't find it, and so i posted..so shoot me!

BANG! ;)