PDA

View Full Version : wondering about people here

moemen ahmed
07-02-2002, 05:58 PM
in fact im asking myself who r the people im asking for thier help and thier coperation . and was wondering if there r anyone here who is professional programmer !!!!! and wondering about all people here How r they related to programming(emplyed in the field, students, ................)

its typing mistake up there (in-home) suppoesed to be ;)

Prelude
07-02-2002, 06:07 PM
I do it professionally, but you can't judge knowledge based on that. I've known hobbyists who could code circles around just about everyone I work with. :p

-Prelude

moemen ahmed
07-02-2002, 06:18 PM
Prelude , as ur doing it professionally, may I ask what compiler do u use for C++ programming, and what kind of programs ur involved , and if ur using any other languages.........

shortly, Im asking for advices from experienced people about knowldgment we (as newbie, beginners, students) should gain to be able for professional work (and how could we examine our abilities) :::::: :)
thanks in advance

Prelude
07-02-2002, 06:28 PM
I mainly use Microsoft Visual C++ 6, C and C++ are pretty much the only languages I use at work, and even then C++ is pretty rare. As for what programs I write, it's usually boring stuff like account managers and number crunchers. Though writing new code doesn't happen as often as maintaining old code (yuck).

-Prelude

Mario
07-02-2002, 06:29 PM
I'm a professional VB/ASP programmer. Learning C++ to improve my resume and most probably switch jobs in the end. I'm payed well... but i'm not happy with this anymore.

I'm an accomplished VB (7 years), ASP(2 years) and SQL(6 years) coder. Not afraid to say. But fact is, I'm not proud of the job I have. And I need that feeling.

moemen ahmed
07-02-2002, 06:33 PM
mario....... im a vb programmer (i do it professionally) and I think its best to use c++ when u cant use VB to do the same thing as ur already experienced with VB...............

or you may give out more details about reasons u think c/c++ ll be more usefull for u (except more money :) )
thanks for response ........

salvelinus
07-02-2002, 06:34 PM
I'm a college student, returning for another degree (first was in Humanities, jobs aplenty there). I did get a part time contract job for the summer, debugging/fixing code in Delphi/Dataflex. Should be good experience, except I've never done anything in either. Don't know why I was hired, except the hiring individual has a daughter in the same first grade class as my son.

Mario
07-02-2002, 06:53 PM
or you may give out more details about reasons u think c/c++ ll be more usefull for u (except more money :) )

Money is always a motivation of course. But not all C++ programmers get payed as well as Intranet developers. I make a little bit over $3,000 USD here in Portugal. Considering I'm still learning C++, I could never hope to get a job that meant a rise on my social rank when compared to what it is right now.

It all as to do with... age, I guess. *shrug* Most probably I'll not even switch jobs when I'm comfortable enough with C++. But the simple fact I can get home at night and do some real programming, maybe even placing some shareware on the net or developing small apps to some round the corner customer, after spending all day working with script and interpreted languages, will certainly boost my ego somewhat and help me remember those glorious days behind a pascal filled screen doing small account packages to local shops.

black
07-02-2002, 07:22 PM
I'm of free study~ ;) and a professional programmer wanna be.

TravisS
07-02-2002, 10:58 PM
I'm a little of two. I do it both in college, and on my own.

I've been programming long before I entered college (since sophomore year in highschool), but I've learned the most in the past 6 months or so when I started my advanced C class, then started on my own non-school project.

Fordy
07-03-2002, 02:02 AM
This is my hobby......I have a career that isnt in IT

moemen ahmed
07-03-2002, 02:10 AM
This is my hobby......I have a career that isnt in IT

may i ask how come u spend all this time and you pay all this attention for programming while u like to work in another branch.
I ll say that you r wasting ur time and ur efforts (you posted many times which means u spend much time stacking to programming...or may i be wrong !!!!!!)

Fordy
07-03-2002, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by moemen ahmed

may i ask how come u spend all this time and you pay all this attention for programming while u like to work in another branch.
I ll say that you r wasting ur time and ur efforts (you posted many times which means u spend much time stacking to programming...or may i be wrong !!!!!!)

It stops me from going nuts..........

My career keeps me well paid (relatively) and I have a rough idea where I'll be in 10 years.......If it isnt hurting my life or my future....what's the problem?

ober
07-03-2002, 05:44 AM
I get paid to write programs in VB, C and several web languages by a company that I intern through (5 years at this point). However I'm still in college and that's not what I'm going for (specifically). My education is more hardware based, but I get more programming assignments than you can shake a stick at.

I don't mind coding, but I hope to get away from it someday and concentrate on design possibly.

Shiro
07-03-2002, 11:16 AM
if there r anyone here who is professional programmer

Currently I'm working as an engineer in embedded systems, I guess more than 90% of the time I'm busy programming. The other time is spend on hardware and boring things like writing documents.

MethodMan
07-03-2002, 03:12 PM
Im currently a student in computer science, and I would like a career in it, although Im not sure which direction I want to go in yet, I enjoy webdesign, but I guess I will see what the future holds.

moemen ahmed
07-03-2002, 04:27 PM
Im astonished that the most of people voted for (programming for fun) I thought people who loves programming would like to work in the same field mostly !!!!!!! :eek:

Fountain
07-04-2002, 03:11 PM
Hi-I am a Uni student doing computing..I am learning C++---guess what? wether I follow this line of work or not-I still do programming for fun.........................may go on to Java or even system analysis-or even design...who knows? NOT ME.

Commander
07-04-2002, 05:07 PM
I program for fun.......i started programing to learn hacking, but then figuered out that there was a lot to it then just hacking and i can't just read a book and become a pro hacker in a day or two. well i do code once in a while, but i can't do it now because i lost my damn compiler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: stupid cd, now i hafta buy another one:mad: oh yeah, i'm trying to learn SQL too, but those stupid clauses! makes me so mad:mad:

and i just had to ask this!
mario, did u learn VB, ASP and SQL, in here(meaning earth) or back in ur planet? just curious!:D

TechWins
07-05-2002, 11:33 PM
Im astonished that the most of people voted for (programming for fun) I thought people who loves programming would like to work in the same field mostly !!!!!!!

That's 'cause most of us here are teenagers. I may be programming for fun and learning on my own right now, but once I get out of high school I will go to college (probably for a software engineer degree or computer science or whatever i decide to choose that relates to programming). After that I hope to become a professional programmer...

Well, it goes something like that for me.

jdinger
07-06-2002, 09:44 PM
I started out as a Network Admin who assisted with code maintenance when we had only one other developer in my office (our companies primary business is not software). When he was promoted I was bumped up to his former position though I still have some basic Admin tasks (changing server backup tapes, running cat-5 cable, installing new employees Novell client, etc.). But I'm not complaining. Versatility is a good thing! :D Plus I get paid more!

Most of what I code at work is in VB (by nature of the huge beast of code that I've inheritted), which can be thoroughly boring, but I am using C++ for some of my newer projects (like a GPS Nema string decoder that plugs LAT/LONG coord's into a custom map grid).

whistlenm1
07-07-2002, 09:11 AM
on the job to stay more adaptable as an EE (almost their) but i get the most use out of it on my own.

netboy
07-08-2002, 10:07 AM
I'm just a beginner to programming... Programming is taught in my College and I'm only in my 2nd year of my 4-year Degree course.

Actually I'm still wondering why this site with the name "Cprogramming.com" but there are other programming languages board on this "C Board"....

:confused: Hmm.....

But I'm glad I found a board full of great ppl and helpful ppl!:D

Kyoto Oshiro
07-08-2002, 09:33 PM
I like to program for fun, at least now. Maybe later I will get a real job in it.