PDA

View Full Version : bandwidth spike, cable modem?

blight2c
06-29-2002, 06:56 PM
i have a question for anyone who knows something about networks. i just got a rca cable modem from optimum online about 2 weeks ago. early today i was watching my transfer rate running at about 1 mbs (my max speedtest is around 1.5). and then all of the sudden it started a steady climb up to 8mbs. it lasted for about 90 seconds or so then crashed down 2.5 (i was surfing and winmxing at the time). is this typical? I know those guys that got busted last week uncapped to about 17mbs, but 8mbs sounds really fast for $30.

what causes stuff like this? how can i look something like this up (without drawing attention to myself)? thanks in advance

Sayeh
07-01-2002, 11:37 AM
This was controlled by the provider. They were probably adjusting voltage rates or swapping segments at the time. Was there perhaps an event that occurred in your (a football game, a big accident, something...) that would make a lot of people not surf for awhile?

Cable speed is completely variable based on load/demand.

blight2c
07-01-2002, 05:37 PM
Was there perhaps an event that occurred in your (a football game, a big accident, something...) that would make a lot of people not surf for awhile?

dunno, it was sunday 'bout noonish on a really niceday, maybe that's it. do you know where i could look this up or what to search for, nothing i punch gets me anything useful and legal. thanks for the info :D