PDA

View Full Version : What is your favourite programming or web designing language?

techie
09-27-2001, 12:40 PM
My favourite programming language is C++ because it is easy and that you also have control over your programs and can do more than like what you can do with Visual Basic. :cool: I say this because I am learning C++ for DOS and Windows and I really enjoy doing it even though I am a beginner.

My favourite web language is HTML because it is easy to use, quick, easy to learn and can have JavaScript code and other stuff inserted into it but I do intend to learn many languages.

So if anyone reads this then what is your favourite programming/web designing language and why.

Unregistered
09-27-2001, 04:16 PM
My favorite language is C, but Java comes a close second and C++ running down there in third. The rest: pascal, cobol, perl, python, and BASIC, I hate equally :p

p.s. Why can't I log in anymore?

-Prelude

Theologian
09-27-2001, 04:33 PM
I know I will be so very alone here--

But VB is a great language. It does many things very well and best of all- very, very rapidly. It allows for the most rapid development of windows apps over any language that I have seen.

It makes building front ends for any rdbms incredibly quick.

Everybody always slams VB but I am telling you it is awesome. Not for all tasks-- but for very many it works just fine.

For web development I like java. Java server pages run on tomcat is not a bad way to go as far as I am concerned. JDBC is pretty nice for doing what makes web pages valuable- getting at data.

I'm not too crazy about scripting languages or html. I do like messing around w/XML though. XSL is very fun.

Go ahead and hate me but darn it VB is fun (and it pays the bills).

-KEN-
09-27-2001, 05:26 PM
ewww...VB. I have to do it for school. I hate it.

For general programming I like C, and web programming I like JScript and ASP. (ASP.NET looks really cool)

Fordy
09-28-2001, 12:46 AM
>>My favourite programming language is C++ because it is easy

Oh really.....easy huh?.....

>>It makes building front ends for any rdbms incredibly quick

For this I prefer Delphi.....Probably just as quick......Faster running & more powerfull

>>For web development I like java

Now your talking..... I dont use JSP much, but i do develp the occasional servlet. This is the main interest for me at the moment. I also like using the JDBC features to work with remote databases. Its wierd directly deleting tables and appending data on a database thats hundreds/thoudsands of miles away.

I would find it hard to pick between Java and C at the mo... and delphi will be up there when I am more familiar with it......

Fordy
09-28-2001, 12:47 AM
...Oh... and add to that....I hate using HTML and Javascript as I never have the time or patience to learn them. Dreamweaver picks up the HTML and most of the Javascript needs and Java itself picks up the rest.....

gliptic
09-28-2001, 01:09 AM
I like C++ and Assembler. Mostly Asm because it's a straight forward language but I still need to use C++ for some tasks because they are too complex to do in Asm.

Theologian
09-28-2001, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by Fordy
[B>>It makes building front ends for any rdbms incredibly quick

For this I prefer Delphi.....Probably just as quick......Faster running & more powerfull[/B]

The strength I see w/VB over Delphi is the close ties to the other MS products. The OS and Office. I like being able to write things write in Access/Word/Excel. I don't do it a lot and usually just in Access, but it sure comes in handy.

Speed is not usually a problem for me. Not on the VB side anyway. Working w/a production database the issues are on the network and database side. DB schema, efficiency of queries, network traffic-- all that good stuff.

I am intrigued by Delphi now that Kylix is out. I will be looking into that.

Don't get me wrong- there are a lot of things I would not use VB, Delphi or Java to do-- I would go w/C++. But I know VB gets kicked around a lot and I think that it is undeserved. Just my little opinion.

Fordy
09-28-2001, 08:24 AM
>>The strength I see w/VB over Delphi is the close ties to the other MS products

I'll accept that..... I've written an Access db for work that uses vb automation to create a batch of word docs at the click of a button. The code is probably < 10 lines.....

Automation is a plus in this circumstance...

techie
10-19-2001, 02:14 PM
Actually, I am not saying that any programming language is bad at all. The reason is that every programming language has it's own strengths and weaknesses.

Yes, I must also admit that Visual Basic is easier than C++ or the other languages out there but I was not giving it a bad name but it was just a figure of speech.

I do however have one piece of information for people that want to learn how to program and that is choose whatever programming language that is right for you.