PDA

View Full Version : Is this needed

vasanth
06-28-2002, 02:13 AM
I am going to attend Java classes from tommorow they cover
java, RMI, beans, Sockets, Swing classes, etc etc etc etc blah blah... The back end they teach is Oracle..

I am good at c/c++ . Do you think i should learn this.. Is it usefull for me in any way in the future...

adrianxw
06-28-2002, 03:38 AM
>>> Do you think i should learn this..

Yes.

>>> Is it usefull for me in any way in the future...

Yes.

salvelinus
06-28-2002, 06:09 AM
I read recently that more colleges now teach Java as their main programming language than C/C++. If you know C++, Java shouldn't be too hard.

nvoigt
06-28-2002, 07:14 AM
>>> Do you think i should learn this..

Yes.

>>> Is it usefull for me in any way in the future...

Yes.

Yes.

Fordy
06-28-2002, 07:27 AM
Swing is a load of junk.......but the rest is worth knowing....and if you learn Oracle programming too, then its worth it as it will help your career prospects.

vasanth
06-28-2002, 07:43 AM
Ok thanx.. My classes start from monday.. But what do you think i should concentrate more on... Applets, Servlets, Back End conectivity or sometin else. ANd what is RMI and what are the other things i should learn in this domain..

Fordy
06-28-2002, 08:10 AM
Applets are pretty dead IMHO as dynamic web content can be done with less complex tools........and getting them to run on M$ Boxes is a nightmare.

Servlets are good...they are classes that sit on a webserver and create webpages....they can also do more or less anything that normal java classes can do JDBC...threads......(well except the output is via HTML). They also have access to all the millions of Java class libraries that sre out there....so they are quite fun to work with....JSP is even better though......you type Java code into html (much the same as you do with VBScript when writing ASP pages) and this is parsed by the webserver, formed into a temporary servlet.....JSP does the same as servlets, but allows you to design your webpage visibly with tools like Dreamweaver Ultradev.....

I think RMI stands for "Remote Method Invocation"...its a way to access java classes that exist remotely on a server or anther host............like COM remoting.....

To be truethful I dont know much about RMI as I have never used it.......try JavaRanch (http://www.javaranch.com/) for more info