PDA

View Full Version : What is Delphi and Dataflex?

salvelinus
06-24-2002, 07:00 PM
I have an opportunity to interview for a position using Delphi. I don't really know what Delphi is, except maybe a VB-like version of Pascal, which I also don't know.

It may also involve Dataflex, which I have minimal experience with years ago, and didn't know was a programming language.

Is it like VB, C++ or Java? That's what I'm most familiar with. Thanks.

black
06-24-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by salvelinus
I have an opportunity to interview for a position using Delphi. I don't really know what Delphi is, except maybe a VB-like version of Pascal, which I also don't know.

It may also involve Dataflex, which I have minimal experience with years ago, and didn't know was a programming language.

Is it like VB, C++ or Java? That's what I'm most familiar with. Thanks.

I know just a little about Delphi. Borland is alway proud of it. it is a soft with IDE, and the language required is Object Pascal. there are many component inside it with which you could create a windows program with ease. but to know it more, u should learn something about windows API. :)

hope it helps.

adrianxw
06-25-2002, 02:36 AM
You can read about Delphi at Borlands website www.borland.com. Delphi is a RAD tool comprising a language sensitive editor, an extremely fast Object Pascal compiler, and a whole host of tools to help you build things quickly. Whenever I need to do any database work at home, I always use Delphi rather than VC++ - it is just so much easier.

Delphi's class library is VCL, which many would say is better than MFC, (the same class library/IDE is used with Borlands C++ Builder product). Delphi is a Windows product, but Borland is investing quite heavily in Linux, and a Linus version of Delphi, (called Kylix), is available - although I don't use it.

Try to find "Delphi Unleashed" by Charlie Calvert - a good book, although possibly not a beginners book. There is a really crap SAMS beginners book but it is so full of mistakes and bugs that I would think you would be better off fiddling with the product and the online help.

It is vastly superior to VB.