PDA

View Full Version : Soccer

tim545666
06-19-2002, 02:26 AM
As a soccer hating American, I find it very humorous that my country is actually going somewhere in the world cup. Most of America wouldn't give a damn if we never won a soccer game. Then we play a country like Mexico. Mexico lives, eats, and breathes soccer. Mexicans play soccer all the time. And we beat them. It is just hillarious that a country indifferent to soccer wins against contry that love soccer. LOSERS!

Fordy
06-19-2002, 02:32 AM
Well ......you've got the Germans next time around, so you can quickly go back to forgetting about "soccer" as you're team will be flying home soon...

tim545666
06-19-2002, 02:39 AM
And the best part is... I couldn't care less!

Mario
06-19-2002, 06:24 AM
>> And the best part is... I couldn't care less!

Yeah right! Said from someone who most probably appreciate tight pants guys with hats scratching their balls and hitting a ball with a club only to run around pillows on the floor :p

Actually I'm happy that US is getting this far. I hope it serves as a boost for soccer on your country :)

tim545666
06-19-2002, 11:09 AM
It won't. Some of us are getting excited right now but after the world cup is over we'll go back to watching football, basketball, and baseball.

nvoigt
06-19-2002, 11:24 AM
you've got the Germans next time around, so you can quickly go back to forgetting about "soccer" as you're team will be flying home soon...

I know we are still seen as a soccer nation, but to tell the truth our teams sucked so hard the last years, we are happy to be where we are at the moment. Even if we lose against the US boys, it will be a small victory to have come that far. Honestly, I didn't think we would survive the first round. But the new young team has some style and power. Klose is one of the top scorers so far.

no-one
06-19-2002, 11:30 AM
i don't know about hating, but it doesn't so much interest me as hockey, maybe i can't hate it since i use to play it was actually a lot of fun...well poo... i couldn't now if i wanted to.

Govtcheez
06-19-2002, 11:55 AM
> Klose is one of the top scorers so far.

Ziege's really good on the EA Sports game :D Also, Jens Jeremies was sweet in last year's version...

> Yeah right! Said from someone who most probably appreciate tight pants guys with hats scratching their balls and hitting a ball with a club only to run around pillows on the floor

Aww, you're just sore because we beat you guys :D (j/k)

> It won't. Some of us are getting excited right now but after the world cup is over we'll go back to watching football, basketball, and baseball.

Sad but true.... And what really sucks is now that hockey and basketball are done, the only thing left is baseball. I got nothing against baseball, but dammit, I want some variety!

no-one
06-19-2002, 02:52 PM
> I got nothing against baseball, but dammit, I want some variety!

i do, it takes to long... and always interrupts the good movies!!!!

Mario
06-19-2002, 04:15 PM
>> Aww, you're just sore because we beat you guys :D (j/k)

Hehe... Actually you are somewhat right. It's not I wasn't happy. After all I lived there for 12 years and I kept a place for it on my heart. But was slightly irritated that a bunch of inexperienced kids from a country were soccer doesn't even make early morning talk shows beat a Portuguese formation with stars the likes of Figo and Paulo Sousa.

black
06-20-2002, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by tim545666
As a soccer hating American, I find it very humorous that my country is actually going somewhere in the world cup. Most of America wouldn't give a damn if we never won a soccer game. Then we play a country like Mexico. Mexico lives, eats, and breathes soccer. Mexicans play soccer all the time. And we beat them. It is just hillarious that a country indifferent to soccer wins against contry that love soccer. LOSERS!

but women soccor is popular in America, yes ?;)

golfinguy4
06-20-2002, 09:09 AM
Men's and Women's soccer are popular here. He just does not like soccer.

mazo
06-20-2002, 09:47 AM
Soccer is good.. in Slovakia are a lot of people fans of soccer..
But hockey is better :) We are the champions :cool:

Shiro
06-20-2002, 11:22 AM
>But hockey is better We are the champions

I think the popularity of a sport in a country depends much on that country's results in that sport.

MethodMan
06-20-2002, 12:29 PM
>>I think the popularity of a sport in a country depends much on that country's results in that sport.

Well the popularity of a sport in a country will also depend on the climate which they are in and the facilities that exist, in order to play a particular sport.

Inept Pig
06-20-2002, 12:31 PM
But the English like football, not that we're exactly great at it, we still go on about 1966...

And cricket, some people like cricket, and THAT is a boring sport, and also another sport in which England lose at....

Nope, I think sport popularity in England has more to do with whether you can get drunk at the event or not...
:)

tim545666
06-20-2002, 12:32 PM
but women soccor is popular in America, yes ?Nope, it was just popular during the time it was doing real well. Right now I could safely say that 95% of America doesn't give a .......... about the women's soccer team right now. And it should be like that. Women's sports are crap.

Shiro
06-20-2002, 12:51 PM
Well the popularity of a sport in a country will also depend on the climate which they are in and the facilities that exist, in order to play a particular sport.

Ofcourse there are more reasons. Also take the media in account. In the Netherlands, playing darts wasn't just more than an activity you did in the cafe. But when Van Barneveld won the Embassy, the media got triggered. In the papers there was news on the Embassy and the TV showed games live. And darts got popular.

In this example, results in the sport and attention of the media are the keys to popularity of the sport. When the football season begins in about a few months, almost every evening there is football on TV. National competition or European cups. When there is no football on TV and competitions have finished, the popularity of football is a little decreasing. The world cup is not as popular here as when our team had been there.

But the English like football, not that we're exactly great at it, we still go on about 1966...

Well, English football is very popular in the Netherlands. Clubs like Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal. There's even a TV program dedicated to English football. Most people know of English clubs. Perhaps it's also because some players of us are playing in the Premier League and have good results there.

And cricket, some people like cricket, and THAT is a boring sport, and also another sport in which England lose at....

Yes, but as you said: some people.