PDA

View Full Version : Lost Root Password

kwigibo
06-16-2002, 12:46 AM
hi, my friend lost his root password, we've sat down and tried everything he could think of. But we still can't access it, we need to install xfig on his computer and can't do this without root priveleges.

Can someone please help me can access to root so we can install xfig, we need to desparately because the assignment we are working on requires it.

kwigibo

BTW This is only going to be used this one time, it is his own computer

Unregistered
06-16-2002, 02:42 AM
sorry you f'd up big time...you're screwed....i hop "your friend" back his shiznit up...

Salem
06-16-2002, 03:14 AM
Couple of suggestions
1. Use a boot floppy to boot a small linux console, then mount the hard disk and edit the password file

2. Take the HD out of the machine, and make it a slave HD in another linux box, then do the edit there

stautze
06-16-2002, 04:31 AM
at the lilo prompt type user "linux single" (i think ctrl-x pauses lilo). Then you will be in "single user mode", aka run level 1, which needs no password. Then you can change the password as normal. This should work, if not, there are other options.

Just for info, getting root is very easy if you have have the ability to boot the machine. This is why physical security is so important, and the reason sever rooms have locks on the doors.

Unregistered
06-16-2002, 03:12 PM
grab a root disk and all will be well...

kwigibo
06-20-2002, 02:30 AM
Thanks heaps, we end up doing "linux single", because we searched the internet (not expecting help) and found out how to do it, thanks for your time and suggestions

kwigibo

stautze
06-20-2002, 03:06 AM
it's amazing what you can find on the internet.

BTW if you ever need that kind of help again, this board is nice, but any of the linux irc chanels would provide an immediate answer.