PDA

View Full Version : Opera Web Browser

MrWizard
06-14-2002, 10:22 PM
For those unenlightened individuals that do not have Opera, repent and you shall be saved. Anyways, the browser is really nice and very customizable. You can disable pop-up windows (isn't that reason enough to switch) as well as mask the identity of the browser and disable referrer logging. I know the major complaint used to be "It won't display some pages.." I have never come across a single page that opera cannot display correctly. Anyways if you are interested download the bad boy here

http://www.opera.com

I think it is about a 10 meg download. Enjoy.

face_master
06-14-2002, 10:49 PM
I just started to use it and its better than Ie, by the looks of it. I like how it tells you down the bottom how many KB of the page have been downloaded and how large the page is in KB.

The look and feel of it is quite good too

Thanks for posting about it :)

Sentaku senshi
06-14-2002, 10:53 PM
There are some sites I have had problems with opera, for those I use IE

1. Hotmail
2. MSDN

SilentStrike
06-14-2002, 11:00 PM
Heh, who would have though Microsoft would make their sites non-operable with any browser that isn't theirs?

lightatdawn
06-14-2002, 11:05 PM
>>There are some sites I have had problems with opera, for those I use IE
>>1. Hotmail

Oh, hey, dont mock the browser, its obviously just trying to protect you. ;)

hostensteffa
06-14-2002, 11:51 PM
Very nice webbrowser. I use it with linux and it is definitely superb. Three thumbs up to the creators.

MrWizard
06-15-2002, 12:06 AM
MSDN and HOTMAIL you say? Funny, I don't have any problems with either one of those pages

dirkduck
06-15-2002, 12:21 AM
I was downloading it, got about 70% done (im on 56k), but then got bloody disconnected...have to start all over now!

MrWizard
06-15-2002, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by dirkduck
I was downloading it, got about 70% done (im on 56k), but then got bloody disconnected...have to start all over now!

I feel your pain. I too am a 56K user. :( Anyhow, Opera will not let you down once installed!!

dirkduck
06-15-2002, 12:29 AM
Yeah, I've heard so much good about it, so I started again...17% an counting.

Fordy
06-15-2002, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Sentaku senshi
There are some sites I have had problems with opera, for those I use IE

1. Hotmail
2. MSDN

You can use Opera on those sites, but they arent perfect....

One point....your browser identifies itself to the webserver when it reqests a page, so you can configure Opera to spoof itself as IE.....press F12 and click "Identify as MSIE 5.0"......that solves a lot of hassles....and seems to allow me to use Hotmail with no problems whatsoever

Sadly, MSDN is a different story....basically...its viewable, but the formatting is screwed .....this is probably due to the amount of ActiveX controls that are activated when you hit that site (and they dont work with Opera).......Also this is the case with Windows Update......

Its worth it though....I quite like the idea that ActiveX is disabled....its disabled on my version of IE as well...

face_master
06-15-2002, 01:46 AM
>>You can use Opera on those sites, but they arent perfect....

That goes for all sites. Even here, things arn't placed right

raimo
06-15-2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Fordy

Sadly, MSDN is a different story....basically...its viewable, but the formatting is screwed .....this is probably due to the amount of ActiveX controls that are activated when you hit that site (and they dont work with Opera).......Also

Well, you can have different opinions about what is viewable:
http://m-net.arbornet.org/~raimo/dir/msdnopera.jpg

I do not think that ActiveX is causing what can be seen in that screenschot.

But Microsoft sites are only sites that Opera has problems with.

blight2c
06-15-2002, 01:00 PM
i've had problems at linuxquestion.org. but i think it has to do with the way opera loads the images. i haven't been that motivated to poke around yet, but i think opera caches alot of the images for latter use and after a lot of surfing it gets slugish. dunno really

CollegeGirl
06-16-2002, 08:15 PM
>>I feel your pain. I too am a 56K user. Anyhow, Opera will not let you down once installed!! <<

i did download opera a couple of months ago on 56k modem & it took forever!! when the download was finally completed and i installed it, it didn't connect to the internet! re-installed, messed with stuff no point & that got me mad so i just uninstalled & deleted it all!

Nick
06-16-2002, 08:41 PM
Of course imagine downloading one of those larger browsers ...

Sentaku senshi
06-17-2002, 02:14 PM
>i did download opera a couple of months ago on 56k modem & it took forever!! when the download was finally completed and i installed it, it didn't connect to the internet! re-installed, messed with stuff no point & that got me mad so i just uninstalled & deleted it all!<

What Operating system are you running. When I was using 98 I belive the dialing box came up automaticly but with XP I have to manualy dial. IE does bring the dialing box up.

I have to Manualy bring the connect box up in order to use AIM.

Dual-Catfish
06-17-2002, 03:07 PM
Anyone try Mozilla? I prefer that over opera... they're pretty close though.

loopy
06-17-2002, 03:33 PM
Me, i use k-meleon, it still in beta and you can't download thing's yet but i like the interface over mozilla or opera.

SilentStrike
06-17-2002, 04:42 PM
Mouse gestures own.