PDA

View Full Version : Most payable career...

Zeeshan
06-12-2002, 11:20 PM
Hi guys ('n gals .... if there r gals any out there, 'coz i don't think so ;) )

I've just given my FINAL high school papers. Now i'll be getting admission in a University. I got pretty good marks in last year's exams and hopefully i'll get similar results this year, too.

My father thinks that Electronics Engineering (B.E.) is the best field for me...'coz it pays good.

So, I want to ask you guys, what field do you think ranks highest in order to make good bucks.

P.S. : Personally, I like the syllabus that they are teaching at the university for electronics eng.

Shiro
06-14-2002, 09:25 AM
In Europe all of these could result in well-paid jobs.

Electronics Engineering (B.E.)
Computer and Information Systems Engineering (B.E.)
Computer Science (B.C.S. -> M.C.S.)
Industrial Electronics (B.E.)

Electronics engineering is great, did it too. At university I had a little introduction into industrial electronics, which was mainly about PLC's, data acquisition and other such things which have to do with production automation and process automation. In other words, automation of factories and industrial installations. But I prefer working with embedded systems.

Electrical engineers can do the same things as computer engineers or computer scientists when it comes to low level programming, datacommunications, signal processing etc. At work I work together with electrical engineers and computer scientists.

Since payments are almost equal and usually good, I think you should base your decision on your interests.

In Europe a lot of students go studying computer science or related studies. Just very little go studying electrical engineering, this means that in about a few years, the number of electrical engineers has decreased significantly. So this may have a positive influence on their payments. If the market allows it ofcourse.

And perhaps it also only applies to electrical engineers working in the analog field and not those in the digital field. Computer scientists and related can also be working in the digital field.

>Chartered Accountancy

Accountants usually are very well paid. But personally I'm not very interested in this field.

Pendragon
06-14-2002, 05:38 PM
if there r gals any out there, 'coz i don't think so

...and *WHY* not?! :: hint, hint :: :p

Computer science is excellent. I'm doing Software Engineering (MEng) which is identical to CS in the first two years. The syllabus covers hardware, Procedural and OOP, game programming, graphics, AI, web-programming and e-commerce, critical systems, networking...(there are more but I can't think of them right now).

But yeah, as Shiro said they're all pretty equal. Choose which one you want. :)

Prelude
06-14-2002, 07:05 PM
>if there r gals any out there, 'coz i don't think so ;)
Think again :D

But to answer your question, you should really stop listening to what other people think and go with what you feel best suited for and enjoy the most. How much you make doesn't matter if it makes ends meet and you love what you do.

-Prelude

frenchfry164
06-14-2002, 07:21 PM
OMG, I thought you were male the whole time Prelude, lol.

And for some reason some people think that females cannot be good at programming or computers period. This is totally wrong, because I can list a long list of women who can program a ton better than I ever will be able to.

And I would say Computer Science, especially as computers dominate the world. That is what I want to take in college myself.

Unregistered
06-14-2002, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by frenchfry164
OMG, I thought you were male the whole time Prelude, lol.

And for some reason some people think that females cannot be good at programming or computers period. This is totally wrong, because I can list a long list of women who can program a ton better than I ever will be able to.

And I would say Computer Science, especially as computers dominate the world. That is what I want to take in college myself.

nope software E
it is a more dynamic degree and more prestigious then cs...

nvoigt
06-15-2002, 02:05 AM
The most important thing has already been mentioned:

Don't listen to other people. Listen to yourself and ask yourself what you will enjoy the most.

Degrees don't pay money, a job will. And there is no one job for each degree, you can get many different jobs and many jobs will be open to you regardsless of which degree you have of those you mentioned.

The most important thing is to get a job that pays the rent and food. And each job you get with any of these degrees will. But the second important thing is your feelings doing this job. If it pays good and you enjoy it, it's the best thing you can get. If it pays exceptionally well and you don't like it, even a million dollars will not make you happy. And happiness is something you cannot buy. Do what you enjoy. Don't listen to others.

Shiro
06-15-2002, 03:07 AM
>And for some reason some people think that females cannot be
>good at programming or computers period.

Ada Byron Lovelace was a woman, a British mathematician, and she is said to be the first computer programmer. There is a lot of information about her on the internet. Like:

http://www.sonoma.edu/Math/faculty/falbo/AdaByron.html

whistlenm1
06-15-2002, 08:31 AM
I am half way through with my BSEE, and I choose it as my career choice because I like electronics. My advice to you is pick something (a career path)that parallels your interests; increased satisfaction, I have come to realize, trust me on that!

Fountain
06-15-2002, 06:08 PM
ahem. i think you will find the most rewarding career out there is CRIME........

dont moan at me im a hard working honest type of guy, but i believe i am correct...look at bill gates...........

omg and i love my XP...sorry bill

nvoigt
06-16-2002, 11:48 AM
Crime doesn't pay. You don't watch enough cheesy american cop tv serials.

Nick
06-16-2002, 08:32 PM
EE majors will probably get higher paying jobs. They will also most likly stay in school longer. The good thing is that cmsc and EE majors take about the same general programming classes the first year so you have plenty of time to decide.

ober
06-20-2002, 12:01 PM
I didn't read what everyone else said... but you must decide what you like and what you will find the easiest to understand.

But as my personal opinion, when you say Electronics Engineering, I'm guessing you mean Computer Engineering... because where I'm from you have EE (Electrical Eng) CE (Computer Eng) and CS (Computer Science)...

I'm a CE in my senior year. And seriously, it all depends on what you like. But as far as i can tell, CEs make the most... and that's not being biased... it's proven. EEs aren't far off tho and CSs are just under us by about 10 grand.

Good luck in your decision :)

golfinguy4
06-20-2002, 01:54 PM
Ober (or anyone), what's the difference between CE and CS?

Shiro
06-20-2002, 02:05 PM
>Ober (or anyone), what's the difference between CE and CS?

The differences vary by country and probably even by university. Collegues of mine who also studied electrical engineering had a few different subjects at their university.

ober
06-20-2002, 02:19 PM
CE is more hardware based, not that much different than EE, but less centered on signals and such. CE and EE are sister majors in most schools.

CS is more software based. Usually CS majors are hardcore programmers, but keep in mind that as a CE, you will get a decent coding background also.

f0ul
06-20-2002, 02:22 PM
Although looking at all the adverts for jobs will show various engineering jobs offering loads of money - the best field to be in for money is sales!

To earn big money in engineering you need a lot of experiance - a sales job in the same field with the same ammount of sales experiance will earn more money!

The down side is that you are not producing anything and you are only as good as your last sale!

The important thing to remember though is that life is more than just about earning money - being money rich, time poor is not much of an existance!

maes
06-21-2002, 03:13 PM
>>Electronics engineering is great, did it too
I'm doing it too. But I don't realy like the analoge electronics. The amplifiers and filters are comming out of my ears. I'm more into software and microprocessors.