PDA

View Full Version : A reason to like America

Pages : [1] 2

Fountain
06-12-2002, 06:16 PM
Ok, im in England and have the upmost respect for the Americans.

I dont want to go where the 'dislike' America thread went...

hows about we talk about the unique things America has done for us!

You know, like us Britains did years ago.lol

NO MIDDLE EAST TALK HERE PLEASE---this is a 'like' America thread.

Whine, whine, but oh why? You may say--but you can clear off......im just trying to redress the balance of this site! (in regards to anti USA posts)..

No one seems to post the good points, except in defence of a GREAT nation-now, is that right?

The answer is NO-it isnt right--so here is your chance.......

Betcha this thread gets spoiled by Anti Usa posts..but WTF

Mario
06-12-2002, 06:33 PM
Just so that I clear any doubts...

Computers, Internet, the Constitution (one of the most beautiful in the whole world), The Declaration of Sentiments, Landing on the Moon, Florida, New York, Rocky Mountains, Ford (the man), Blues, Jazz, Rock, Science, the american way of life... and finally, my preferred... the multi-cultural society and general tolerance towards the minorities in a country where a Pole, a Japanese, a Cuban and a Nigerian can live in the same building.

canada ownz
06-12-2002, 06:49 PM
the only thing good about the us was when we burnt down the whitehouse

Bangladesh Boe
06-12-2002, 06:58 PM
there is no reason to like america..............:D

Commander
06-12-2002, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Fountain
A reason to like Americaum lets see....uh huh.....ok.....I can't seem to get one from my head...i might have to do a little search on reasontolikeamerica.com...i'll post some if i find some.....

golfinguy4
06-12-2002, 07:34 PM
Just out of curiousity, why do canadians hate americans?? Besides the fact we beat ur ass in hockey a couple years ago. JK:D

Commander
06-12-2002, 07:37 PM
we dont't hate americans!~!!!! jk

sean
06-12-2002, 07:39 PM
How many of you who are trash-talking America have actually lived on both sides? Because if it's none of you, well - that says a lot about you doesn't it. I'm going to go make this into a poll and see if anyone actually HAS.

Sentaku senshi
06-12-2002, 07:52 PM
>the only thing good about the us was when we burnt down the whitehouse<

In order to save the irreplaceable Gilbert Stuart portrait of George Washington Dolley Madison, the first lady at the time, removes it from its frame and takes it with her as she escapes.

Ice Fenix
06-12-2002, 08:14 PM
Read the Signature...all i've gotta say

Cosmic Diva
06-12-2002, 09:23 PM
the only thing good about the us was when we burnt down the whitehouse

When did that happen?

canada ownz
06-12-2002, 09:25 PM
1814 we burn the ****er to the ground!

Scourfish
06-12-2002, 09:28 PM
If nothing else, you can admire my incredible aim when I urinate on public buildings in my own town.

lightatdawn
06-12-2002, 09:31 PM
>>1814 we burn the ****er to the ground!

Lighten up, man.

>>When did that happen?

Havent you ever heard all the jokes?

TOP 10 REASONS FOR BEING CANADIAN

1. It beats being an American.
2. Only country to successfully invade the US and burn its capital to the ground.
3. You can play ice hockey 12 months a year, outdoors.
4. Only country to successfully invade the US and burn its capital to the ground.
5. Where else can you travel 1000 miles over fresh water in a canoe?
6. A political leader can admit to smoking pot and his/her popularity ratings will rise.
7. Only country to successfully invade the US and burn its capital to the ground.
8. Kill Grizzly bears with huge shotguns and cover your house in their skins.
9. Own-an-Eskimo scheme.
10. Only country to successfully invade the US and burn its capital to the ground.

;) Its just a joke guys.

Really though 'canada ownz' dude, calm yourself, you're making us look bad. ;) You can take issue with certain actions of a govornment without verbally abusing the entire countrys occupants.

Govtcheez
06-13-2002, 06:54 AM
> when I urinate on public buildings in my own town.

Hehe - the only public building I ever urinated on was while I was staggering around Windsor, so there. :D

Barjor
06-13-2002, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Mario
Just so that I clear any doubts...

Computers, Internet, the Constitution (one of the most beautiful in the whole world), The Declaration of Sentiments, Landing on the Moon, Florida, New York, Rocky Mountains, Ford (the man), Blues, Jazz, Rock, Science, the american way of life... and finally, my preferred... the multi-cultural society and general tolerance towards the minorities in a country where a Pole, a Japanese, a Cuban and a Nigerian can live in the same building.

I second that. America truly is a fantastic country with alot of great people living in it. America as a country is alot better then the leaders that try to run it. And Canadians are just jealous. Like a silly little brother that never is good enough.

mike_k
06-13-2002, 09:57 AM
"How many of you who are trash-talking America have actually lived on both sides? Because if it's none of you, well - that says a lot about you doesn't it"

Okay, so because I don't like America and I want to complain about it, I will become American so I can rightfully complain

"general tolerance towards the minorities..."

Oh right, and Canada isn't? In fact, your immigration policies are skewed to let in mostly just wealthy white europeans, whereas Canada lets in mostly poor asian families. And lets remember where the slaves had to escape to to be free from America: Canada.

"...the Constitution ...."

Guess what, just about EVERY country has a constitution.

"...Science..."

Right, I'm sure that didn't start in EUROPE!!

"...Landing on the Moon...."

Never would have gotten there without Canada, who made all the robotics.

Anyway, since you think the number of things to come out of your country equals how good it is, here's a short list (http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa090100a.htm) of things to come from Canada.

nvoigt
06-13-2002, 10:08 AM
Reasons to like America:

Nice women :cool:
Best beer-flavored water ever :p
Great Movies :D
Home of Burgers :rolleyes:

All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

Brought peace.

Oh. Peace? Shut up!

Cosmic Diva
06-13-2002, 11:34 AM
Havent you ever heard all the jokes?
No. I don't get out much.

TechWins
06-13-2002, 06:48 PM
In fact, your immigration policies are skewed to let in mostly just wealthy white europeans, whereas Canada lets in mostly poor asian families. And lets remember where the slaves had to escape to to be free from America: Canada.

America has the most diverse amount of racial backgrounds. Plain and simple. Not to mention that America freely (actually enough America makes the effort for those people to live in the US) lets in over 20,000 Cubans every year to try to improve their lives. Here is a nice, little fact about the amount of people who enter the US yearly: "The Urban Institute offers the estimate of 200,000 emigrants a year in the 1990s (Fix and Passel 1994, 23).". So you're telling me that out of those 200,000 people, most of them are white, rich Europeans? You gotta be kidding me. And about the slave situation: slavery was only a problem in the south, and the slaves from the south escaped to the northern states, not Canada.

Guess what, just about EVERY country has a constitution.

Well, guess where the basis of your constitution was taken from? You guessed it, the US. The US was the first country to actually implement a FAIR constitution and many countries there after borrowed many ideas from it.

Right, I'm sure that didn't start in EUROPE!!

Actually scientific research/methods probably didn't start in Europe, however, not to say that it started in the US. Although, over the past century or so, most scientific breakthroughs have taken place in the US, thought up by an American, or had Ameriacn influence somehow someway.

Never would have gotten there without Canada, who made all the robotics.

Give me a break. Now you're just sounding foolish. Taking credit away from the Americans for landing on the Moon, because some Canadians created some of the robotics. And hey that's what you say, so who really knows if it is true. More than likely it was American based companies who did the manfacturing for the parts, but I'll go ahead and take your word for it.

TechWins
06-13-2002, 06:54 PM
1814 we burn the ****er to the ground!

No, you didn't burn the ****er to the ground. Canada under British rule at the time were the ones who destroyed the White House. But in the end the Americans prevailed and retained their independence by winning the war (kinda like always, eh).

Sentaku senshi
06-13-2002, 07:06 PM
>1. It beats being an American.
2. Only country to successfully invade the US and burn its capital to the ground.
3. You can play ice hockey 12 months a year, outdoors.
4. Only country to successfully invade the US and burn its capital to the ground.
5. Where else can you travel 1000 miles over fresh water in a canoe?
6. A political leader can admit to smoking pot and his/her popularity ratings will rise.
7. Only country to successfully invade the US and burn its capital to the ground.
8. Kill Grizzly bears with huge shotguns and cover your house in their skins.
9. Own-an-Eskimo scheme.
10. Only country to successfully invade the US and burn its capital to the ground.<
1. Thats only an option and not fact
2. Correction the British Burned down the capital
3. Great I can freaze twelve months a year.
4. Correction the British Burned down the capital
5. I never took up much instrest in geogrophy
6. Bill Clinton
7. Correction the British burnted down the capital
8. Can't you do that in alaska?
9. I don't want one.
10.Correction the Birish burned down the capital.

-KEN-
06-13-2002, 07:46 PM
>>In fact, your immigration policies are skewed to let in mostly just wealthy white europeans.<<

Please live a few days in south florida and say that. Yeah, I thought so, now shut the hell up.

Mario
06-13-2002, 07:47 PM
This mike_k character produced the following:

>> Oh right, and Canada isn't? In fact, your immigration policies
[SNIPPED because I didn't even read the rest of it]

Who's talking about canada vs. america here? Just because canada is relatively tolerant, does it mean I can't say the same thing about other countries who are?

>> "...the Constitution ...."
>>Guess what, just about EVERY country has a constitution.

Err... and? I was talking about the good things in the american constitution... Do some interpretation exercices. You need it badly.

>>"...Science..."
>>Right, I'm sure that didn't start in EUROPE!!

LOL! You are pathetic. In fact it didn't start in Europe. Science, most probably started somewhere in Africa a few good hundred thousand years ago... And by the way, I was saying I like the way US does science. What does that have to do with where it started? tsk, tsk...

>> "...Landing on the Moon...."
>>Never would have gotten there without Canada, who made all
>>the robotics.

It's called a contribution. Something I'm sure your low protein count brain will immediatly call "Never would have gotten there without Canada"... tsk, tsk..

>>Anyway, since you think the number of things to come out of >>your country equals how good it is,

It's not my country. I was born in Italy. Lived in US for 12 years and on your beautiful country for about 7. I liked them both and I replied to the subject of this thread. You, on the other hand, are an ..........**e and, from the many canadians I met, you are clearly an exception and an embarrassment. Nice to meet you.

hostensteffa
06-13-2002, 09:53 PM
You mean america actually did something for you other than fight the british out. I mean look at our roots. I'd kill to leave america, and i'd kill to move to england ( :

Fountain
06-14-2002, 02:59 AM
you would kill to live in England? wow...

i have to admit it is an ok place to live, but have you travelled all over the states?

There are (i have seen) some fantastic places in the US.

the grass is always greener i guess........?!

Oh and as for my thread....seems to have turned into a slanging match between canada and US......Not really the idea as both sides are not a million miles from each other..

ho hum

Commander
06-14-2002, 07:51 AM
i'm trying to be racist or something, but americans have a bad sence of humor.... i talk from experience...trust me

mike_k
06-14-2002, 09:56 AM
"Well, guess where the basis of your constitution was taken from? You guessed it, the US. The US was the first country to actually implement a FAIR constitution and many countries there after borrowed many ideas from it. "

Actually France was the first country to do so, in 1688. You didn't do so until 1776. And you borrowed many ideas from it.

"Actually scientific research/methods probably didn't start in Europe, however, not to say that it started in the US. Although, over the past century or so, most scientific breakthroughs have taken place in the US, thought up by an American, or had Ameriacn influence somehow someway. "

Have you ever heard of the "Renaissance", which started in Europe?

The immigration....

Europe: 5,149,572
Latin America: 4,372,487
Asia: 2,539,777
Africa: 199,723

Finally, maybe I should be little more clear, yes I do agree that lots of good things came from America, what I object to is bragging about all your inflated accomplishments and calling Canada "a jealeous little brother thats never good enough"

-KEN-
06-14-2002, 10:01 AM
Which never happened....neurotic cannucks.

You seem so worried bout people feeling that you live in our shadow that you're lashing out like an imbecile, making incredibly funny accusations and stating horribly twisted and skewed facts.

mike_k
06-14-2002, 10:06 AM
Which never happened....neurotic cannucks.

What never happened?

Shiro
06-14-2002, 11:22 AM
>>The US was the first country to actually implement a FAIR
>>constitution
>
>Actually France was the first country to do so, in 1688.

The American Constitution was the first complete written national constitution. But the Greek had constitutions on the old-time, when their cities were states. The old cities had governments and written constitutions. Like the Athenian Constitution, which was written by Aristotle in 350 B.C.E. And don't forget about Plato's paper on the republic.

>>Actually scientific research/methods probably didn't start in
>>Europe, however, not to say that it started in the US.
>
>Have you ever heard of the "Renaissance", which started in Europe?

A lot of current math is from Europe, by mathematicians like Erdos, Laplace, Fourier, Lagrange, Descartes, Newton, Babbage, Riemann, Euler etc.

But a lot of people don't know that also Arabian, Japanese, Indian and Chinese math was also very well developed at same time. One of the greatest mathematicians ever was Ramanujan, a mathematician from India. He taught himself mathematics and did an immense contribution to mathematics and number theory in special.

>Although, over the past century or so, most scientific
>breakthroughs have taken place in the US, thought up by an
>American, or had Ameriacn influence somehow someway. "

A reason why most scientific breakthroughs have taken place in the US is because the US stimulates scientific research more than most European countries do. This is also one of the reasons why European scientists go to the US. European scientists like Einstein, Mandelbrot, Dijkstra did great contributions to science, but most of those contributions was done at American research centres.

salvelinus
06-14-2002, 12:24 PM
The US has Yellowstone, one of the most beautiful areas on Earth. It also seems to be some kind of required Mecca for Germans. Sometimes I think there are more Germans in Yellowstone than Americans. Can't blame 'em, I'd live there if I could.

Sorensen
06-14-2002, 12:29 PM
There's at least one reason to like the US. It's not France.

C_Coder
06-14-2002, 01:10 PM
Guys isn't it time we dropped this anti other country stuff, There are enough terrorists out there trying to bring down the civilized world without us helping them. Besides it's getting really boring anyway!!!:D

"We are not enemies but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, we must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory, will swell when again touched as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature."

Taken from Lincoln's first Inaugural address 1861

mike_k
06-14-2002, 01:19 PM
"Guys isn't it time we dropped this anti other country stuff, There are enough terrorists out there trying to bring down the civilized world without us helping them. Besides it's getting really boring anyway!!!"

I'm not anti america, but anti american policy, and anti americans dissing canada, and probably most of the people here who are criticising america would say the same.

-KEN-
06-14-2002, 01:41 PM
Great mike_k, but nobody CARES if you're opposed to American politics. Don't you see? All 5 billion of these debates...and noone cares about any point brought up by anyone! Barely anyone is arguing open-mindedly, espescially you...

Sorensen
06-14-2002, 02:20 PM
>Guys isn't it time we dropped this anti other country stuff

No. The Welsh are a bunch of weird ****ers, Scotland's a bleak ****hole and the less said about some of the other European countries the better.

Commander
06-14-2002, 03:14 PM
i like america, aslong as bush is not involved

TechWins
06-14-2002, 04:33 PM
Actually France was the first country to do so, in 1688. You didn't do so until 1776. And you borrowed many ideas from it.

Oh sorry, the first fiar constitution that is still in place today. Not to mention, when France recreated a constitution some time later it borrowed many of the ideas from the American constitution...not the other way around.

Have you ever heard of the "Renaissance", which started in Europe?

Have you ever heard of the times before the Renaissance? Just because that was the flourishing period for Europe does not mean it was the flourishing period for the rest of the world in terms of scientific research. Science was not started in Europe, so get over it? I don't even uderstand why you're taking a defensive position with that anyways?

The immigration....

The immigration what? All you did was write immigration and then a bunch of numbers. Care to explain a little further than immigration?

what I object to is bragging about all your inflated accomplishments and calling Canada "a jealeous little brother thats never good enough"

I challenge you to find a comment made by me that states anything closely related to me having harsh feelings towards Canada or feeling that the US is far superior. You might be able to do so with other posters but not with me, so don't bring that up as an argument against me. Get your facts straight first.

Another reason to like America:

A reason why most scientific breakthroughs have taken place in the US is because the US stimulates scientific research more than most European countries do.

Thanks, Shiro, for bringing that great point up.

Guys isn't it time we dropped this anti other country stuff,

Actually enough I haven't been anti-[insert country here] at all. I've only been pro-American. Is there anything wrong with defending your country from false remarks?

Pendragon
06-14-2002, 05:11 PM
Reading this thread I'm getting the mysterious feeling of déja vu...:p

...and another one saying:'haven't we already exhausted this argument a few times over?'

GET OVER IT! :rolleyes:

Scourfish
06-14-2002, 11:06 PM
>haven't we already exhausted this argument a few times over?

Not quite yet, you still have to wait for the "Another reason not to like anybody and everybody on this freakin planet" thread.

With that said, I hate everybody in the entire world including myself; they're too freakin humanoid.

lightatdawn
06-14-2002, 11:25 PM
>>GET OVER IT!

Thanks Pendragon. I was about to post the same sentiments myself, albeit with a few more of those *'s decorating the text. As I've had a few too many suped up Cokes tonight, I've thrown diplomacy to the winds.

>>'haven't we already exhausted this argument a few times over?'

The only problem is sifting through the pointless name calling and finding the little nuggets of intelligent conversation nestled within. If only we had an immaturity filter... One can always dream.

So guys: Get off each others throats. I'm sick of people trying to "defend" their country against people expressing valid opinions regarding something their govorment implimented. On the other hand I'm also sick of people jumping on the bandwagon and tearing a strip out of entire countries because of a few bad seeds.

I've considered making a private board somewhere for intelligent discussion of world events and the like. Admission by invitation only. Of people that have participated in this thread: Novacain, Pendragon, nvoigt, salvelinus, you've all been pre-approved (for platinum account of course). ;)

Commander
06-15-2002, 07:27 AM
ah whathe heck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO, WHAT DO CANADIANS HAVE TO BE PROUD OF?

1. Smarties

2. Crispy Crunch, Coffee Crisp

3. The size of our footballs fields and one less down

4. Apple pie is Canadian

5. Mr. Dress-up kicks Mr. Rogers ass

6. Tim Hortons kicks Dunkin' Donuts ass

7. In the war of 1812, started by America, Canadians pushed
the Americans back...past their 'White House'. Then we burned it...and most of Washington, under the command of William Lyon McKenzie who was insane and hammered all the time. We got bored because they ran away, so we came home and partied...Go figure..

8. Canada has the largest French population that never surrendered to
Germany.

9. We have the largest English population that never ever surrendered or withdrew during any war to anyone, anywhere.

10. Our civil war was a bar fight that lasted a little over an hour.

11. The only person who was arrested in our civil war was an American
mercenary, who slept in and missed the whole thing... but showed up just in time to get caught.

12. We knew plaid was cool far before Seattle caught on.

13. The Hudsons Bay Company once owned over 10% of the earth's surface and is still around as the worlds oldest company.

14. The average dog sled team can kill and devour a full grown human in under 3 minutes.

15. We still know what to do with all the parts of a buffalo.

16. We don't marry our kin-folk.

17. We invented ski-doos, jet-skis, velcro, zippers, insulin, penicillin, zambonis, the telephone and short wave radios that save countless lives each year.

18. We ALL have frozen our tongues to something metal and lived to tell about it.

19. A Canadian invented Superman.

BUT MOST IMPORTANT!

20. The handles on our beer cases are big enough to fit your hands with mitts on. OOOoohhhhh Canada!!

Oh yeah... and our elections only take one day. surprised?? :)

I AM CANADIAN!!!
:D

Sorensen
06-15-2002, 07:50 AM
>I've considered making a private board somewhere for intelligent discussion of world events and the like. Admission by invitation only<

Hmmm, sounds like fun. Just like something from some backward dictatorship (or the British House of Lords). Nobodies forcing you to read anything, but if your sensibilities are offended close the thread. Are you Canadian?

lightatdawn
06-15-2002, 10:48 AM
>>Hmmm, sounds like fun.

It was said in jest, my friend.

>>Nobodies forcing you to read anything

Of course not. I chose to read it.

>>if your sensibilities are offended close the thread.

It doesnt work that way. My personal views dont factor into my Mod duties. And no, i'm not offended in any way. I'm merely disapointed in some of the attitudes being irrationally expressed.

>>Are you Canadian?

Maybe, eh.

Sorensen
06-15-2002, 10:51 AM
>I'm merely disapointed in some of the attitudes being irrationally expressed

Then rationally shoot them down, instead of whining about them.

TechWins
06-15-2002, 03:39 PM
That was pretty good Commander lol.:D

Except it was under British rule that the land of Canada burned down the White House.:p

Then rationally shoot them down, instead of whining about them.

Couldn't agree more, Sorensen. Stating that your tiresome of all of the 'crap' that is being posted in this thread is just as useful as all of the 'crap' that is being posted in this thread.:)

Sorensen
06-15-2002, 03:50 PM
>Stating that your tiresome of all of the 'crap' that is being posted in this thread is just as useful as all of the 'crap' that is being posted in this thread.

Yeah, but me posting crap about my tiredness of people posting crap about their tiredness of all the crap makes me the king of crap.

nvoigt
06-15-2002, 04:23 PM
>>Nobodies forcing you to read anything

But yes... we are moderators... to know what is worth moderating, we have to read it all.

Sorensen
06-15-2002, 04:56 PM
>But yes... we are moderators... to know what is worth moderating, we have to read it all.<

No, I'm sorry. Nobody is forcing you to read anything, moderator or not. If however you choose to read something that needs moderating by all means close the thread. Unless your roles of moderators have extended to moaning about the content of threads (in which case you've a few to catch up on)?