PDA

View Full Version : Beeer!

Fountain
06-12-2002, 05:28 PM
OK, as you may or may not know i am in England...

Yes thats the world cup winners country.......:D

Anyhow....Belgians have done nothing for us EXCEPT........

Given us Stella Artois....

I would argue ..after drinking the rest (hehe) that no beer (lager) in the world is as good as Stella is...

Any one like to disagree?

BTW-You had better have drunk all the mentioned beers to argue the point!

I know every lager drinker in England has tried Stella-even if they were not keen.....it is impossible to say there is a BETTER lager...hmmm strong and tasty...damn! carried away there!

Anybody disagree

ps if you are from belgium i guess you will be biased, and from USA yes, BUD IS crap!

Mario
06-12-2002, 06:39 PM
Boddingtons beer(ale)... Accept no substitute. Go Manchester!

But dont drink from a can... only bootled. In fact never drink any kind of beer from a can.

lightatdawn
06-12-2002, 07:40 PM
>>and from USA yes, BUD IS crap!

I dont think you'll find a single person anywhere who wont agree that Americans can't make beer to save their lives. Its all horse pee.

>>In fact never drink any kind of beer from a can.

You know where its at my friend. And when forced to drink from a glass, make sure its chilled. :cool:

Govtcheez
06-12-2002, 08:17 PM
Hey now! I like our horse pee! Actually, that's what I'd be drowning myself in if I didn't have to study for 3 finals in one day.

lightatdawn
06-12-2002, 08:25 PM
>>that's what I'd be drowning myself in

Which is exactly what you'd be doing. Drowning. Its like coloured water with a bad aftertaste. ;)

>>if I didn't have to study for 3 finals in one day.

Hark! The sound of an avid procrastinator. I also note that you're online. Now log off and get back to work you slacker, you! The sooner you're done the sooner you can get back to drowning in your horse pee.

:p

adrianxw
06-13-2002, 12:16 AM
When I lived in England, I drank the traditional English "Real Ales", after that, all lager is simply a variation on the cold, yellow, fizzy stuff - and yes, Denmark has a tradition for making a lot of that, (Carlsberg, Tuborg etc.).

Don't like Boddingtons - tastes a bit sour. Fullers ESB, Wadworth 6X, Ruddles County, and all the others I can't remember. Thinking about it, it must be 5 years since I ws last in England, I could do with a "pint", (assuming there are still "pints" not half litres), and I've got some free time coming up...

Vicious
06-13-2002, 12:51 AM
Beer must be like Coke...

Drinking it out of a can, bottle, glass bottle, glass cup, plastic cup, ice, no ice, cubed, crushed. all different! :D

TechWins
06-13-2002, 01:17 AM
Beer must be like Coke...

For the sake of society thankfully it doesn't...the last thing we need is such an intoxicating drink tasting so good. Then again their are Smirnoffs...now those taste good.

And no, people don't drink beer with ice...not that I would know anything about all of this.:rolleyes:

novacain
06-13-2002, 01:46 AM
Why is American beer like having sex in a boat?

They are both f***ing close to water.

Cans have their uses.
Cans of beer don't smash on the 4 wheel drive track to the beach. Stack better and are easier to carry back (crushed). Less destructive when smashed on your head or stepped on in the sand. Full cans float if you drop it overboard or in an ice / water filled eski (cooler).

Coopers Pale Ale for an Aust ale.
Crown lager for a lager.
RedBack for a wheat beer.
VB, Swan, Emu or Emu Bitter if you want bulk.

How many beers in a pack there?
We get 6, 12, 24 and 30 at the local drive thru bottle shop.

What percant alcohol?
Ours are about 5%.

kwigibo
06-13-2002, 03:25 AM
XXXX Thirsty dog (wheat) is s**t.
Carlton Cold is pretty good.
Im a big fan of guiness. Just about everyone I know hates it. Most beers taste the same to me though Im more of a bourbon drinker.

BTW I haven't tried a lot of beers pls forgive me, for my limited input, Im on a limited income.

Betazep
06-13-2002, 03:47 AM
L@D...mmmmmm... Molsen Ice... slurp slurp.

As far as americans making crap beer... commercial beer is crap. Some microbrews are pretty tasty and rival those around the world...

Finland has incredible beer. Germany.... do I need to say more...

I don't even classify American 'commercial' beers in the same category of these other beers.... but enough of em will get you tipsy, so what the hell... gimme six. ;)

Oh... and Newcastle brown ale is tremendously good... have you tried it? Not sure of the origin.... it is just good.

Govtcheez
06-13-2002, 06:41 AM
> We get 6, 12, 24 and 30 at the local drive thru bottle shop.

Sounds about like us - I've got the remains of an 18 pack of Bud downstairs, though, too.

> Ours are about 5%.

Hey, what a coincidence! So are ours! :p

Shiro
06-13-2002, 11:16 AM
>Anyhow....Belgians have done nothing for us EXCEPT........
>Given us Stella Artois....

Hmmm. Drank a lot of Belgium beers, like Palm, Duvel, De Koninck, but I've never had Stella Artois. I'll try that. Also the German beers are very good, not all, but some of the hundreds(?) beers they have there are very good.

RobR
06-13-2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Betazep
L@D...mmmmmm... Molsen Ice... slurp slurp.

As far as americans making crap beer... commercial beer is crap. Some microbrews are pretty tasty and rival those around the world...

Finland has incredible beer. Germany.... do I need to say more...

I don't even classify American 'commercial' beers in the same category of these other beers.... but enough of em will get you tipsy, so what the hell... gimme six. ;)

Oh... and Newcastle brown ale is tremendously good... have you tried it? Not sure of the origin.... it is just good.

Errrrr......... Newcastle??:D :D :D

Known by the locals as Loony Brew.

adrianxw
06-13-2002, 01:20 PM
novocain:

>>> Cans have their uses.

We don't have cans. By law, (at least until the damn EU stuck their noses in), all "carbonated beverages" had to be in bottles. We get cans in August, however, the cans have a deposit charged on them, must be delivered backto the shop where they were bought, (with the receipt), and must not be crushed. Sounds like a real dream of a solution - not!!!

When I was last in Sydney, I visited a pub, I think called the PumpHouse, in a park, (park was full of modern sculptures), where they brewed on the premises, some really quite drinkable stuff.

-KEN-
06-13-2002, 01:31 PM
I don't mind American beer...but then again I've never had anything else...

The one beer I can't stand is Amstel Light. It tasted like bile going down my throat, mixed with horse **** and cow ......... So of course, I drank 3 of them. Owww....the emotional pain.

Microbrews are great. Yummy.

Oh well, alcohol is alcohol, and American Beer is decent if it's the only beer you've ever been exposed to...mmm....scratch that, I've had a few Coronas before. Yum.

Oh, actually I've had irish beer, too...I had some Killian's Irish Red, but the problem was they were warm...so we took them, poured them in glasses, and put in ice. Ewww....I couldn't even finish one glass of the stuff. It was almost worse than Amstel!

Shiro
06-13-2002, 01:39 PM
>The one beer I can't stand is Amstel Light.

Yep, Amstel is the beer of Amsterdam. The Amsterdams can't make beer. Their beer tastes like the water of the river which has the same name of their beer.

>so we took them, poured them in glasses, and put in ice.

The Irish red beers usually taste good. But ofcourse not with ice, I've never had beer with ice. But it must be terrible.

lightatdawn
06-13-2002, 01:48 PM
>>but the problem was they were warm

So heres a solution from a pro. ;) Take a glass (a metal stein preferably but a tall glass will do) and rinse it under the tap. Put it and your bottle of beer in the freezer. 15 minutes later you can pour the partially cooled beer into the now frozen glass and voila!

Very useful for when you come back from work and discover that, like an idiot, you forgot to replace the ones you drank yesterday. This problem can also be solved by keeping your entire 18 pack (or two) in the fridge but this is usually less acceptable if you still live with your folks as it tends to take up pretty much all of an entire shelf.

>>I don't mind American beer...but then again I've never had anything else...

"Kokanee. Its the beer up here." ;) My favorite of the commercial beers.

novacain
06-13-2002, 11:06 PM
>>We get cans in August
Why then? More demand in summer?

>>As far as americans making crap beer... commercial beer is crap. Some microbrews are pretty tasty and rival those around the world...

Same with mose comercial Aust lagers. Designed for one purpose.

We have a lot of microbreweries in my town.
Small Creatures, Matilda Bay and The Sail and Anchor are the main ones. Got to watch it as a lot are nearer the 7%.

You can also go to a "home brewery" and make your own, ferment it in thier small tanks and then bottle to take home. At around US$0.50 per L.

adrianxw
06-14-2002, 12:27 AM
novocain:

>>>
>>We get cans in August
Why then? More demand in summer?
<<<

Sorry, (he says laughing his head off!). No I actually meant we get cans for the first time in August. The EU said our bottling/recycling laws were anti-competitive, so we had to accept foreign imports in cans, and adjust our environmental rules to fit.

>>> More demand in summer?

That is probably true though.

adrianxw
06-14-2002, 12:29 AM
Odd coincidence, after posting to a thread about beer, I had to press "refresh" twice to get the screen back to normal.

face_master
06-14-2002, 12:34 AM
Aussie beer is the best. VB (Victoria Bitter)...oh yeah...American beer tastes like pig (not horse) pee. Yes, I have drunken it before...

Vicious
06-14-2002, 12:36 AM
oh good lord.... you guys make me sick... i dont think itsright to drink anyway ( nother thread ) but when your underage and scting like you know your beer? C'mon! thats just sick dude!

no offense to you tech :p

novacain
06-14-2002, 01:39 AM
Ahhh. Now I understand, thought it was strange that you only had cans at certain times of the year.

>>Odd coincidence, after posting to a thread about beer, I had to press "refresh" twice to get the screen back to normal.

As long as it does not burp afterwards.

Remember, you do not buy beer, you rent it.

adrianxw
06-14-2002, 01:44 AM
>>> Remember, you do not buy beer, you rent it.

Consider that stolen!!!

Considering the can issue, this artical sprang to mind, the final answer could only come from an Ozzie...

http://www.newscientist.com/lastword/answers/794food.jsp?tp=food1

... I love visiting Oz!!!

nvoigt
06-14-2002, 02:37 AM
Welcome to Germany ;)

We even have a purity law here that states what you have to put in / leave out to be able to call your product "Bier". Beer is considered food here.

Normal beer is nice but Altbier rules them all. You'd probably call it Ale. Duesseldorf makes some special stuff that's real good.

http://www.beerflavor.com/styles/dusseldof_altbier.htm

Diebels is the most popular, so maybe the one that can be found outside of Germany.

Fountain
06-14-2002, 02:53 AM
hmmm a few interesting replies there!

Stella still rules the lagers...........

English ales? Cant beat timothy taylors Landlord...........its a winner!

i do like a guiness on a hot day as well.

-KEN-
06-14-2002, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Vicious
oh good lord.... you guys make me sick... i dont think itsright to drink anyway ( nother thread ) but when your underage and scting like you know your beer? C'mon! thats just sick dude!

no offense to you tech :p

Dunno if you're talking about me, but with my brother(s) (one more than the other) it's impossible to NOT know my beer...

>> Remember, you do not buy beer, you rent it.

did you think that up yourself? It's good :)

maes
06-17-2002, 03:47 AM
I must admit, Stella is a good beer. But there is a better one: Maes. (Yes, I've chosen my nick name after a beer). And let's also not forget Jupiler

>>if you are from belgium i guess you will be biased
What is biased :confused: (to lasy to look it up)

So true

>>Actually, that's what I'd be drowning myself in if I didn't have to study for 3 finals in one day.
Same here. 4 days and counting (down). But I'll be drowning myself with taste :p So if I post some things that no one understands, you know what happened :D

Now I think of it. DA, stay of the beer :p (Just kidding)

Here are some other beers I like:
Belgian:
Geuze, with a bit of grenadine(sp?)*
Hoegaarden: this is a white beer.*
Kriek Belle vue(translated: Cherry): this is a very good one!!!*
Palm*
a bit stronger: (don't drink to much of these :D)
Kasteelbier: 11% alc*
Westmalle tripple: 9%
Grimbergen tripple:9%*
Trappiste Rochefort: 9.2%alc*
Duvel: 9% (I think)
K'8: Like Kriek but stronger 8%

(* I currently have these in my home. Lucky me :D :D :D)
Some foreign beers that I like:
Guiness
Corona
and a german beer but I forgot the name. Maybe nvoigt knows. It is a local beer from I think Ravensburg.

no offense to you tech

In Belgium no one cares if your under age and order a beer. (Ok I don't think they will give you beer if you are like 13 and if you can hardly look over the counter). But as long as you're not drunk who cares. I think you can legaly order a beer at the age of 16. So it is possible to know your beers at the age of 16 :D (like I did). It all depends on your attitude. If you drink to get drunk. then you have a problem if you drink because of the taste: no problem. I drink beer because of the taste. You have to know where you draw the line.

novacain
06-17-2002, 05:49 AM
>> Remember, you do not buy beer, you rent it. >>did you think that up yourself? It's good

No. Wise old Aussie saying.

>>Corona
I thought that Corona was to Mexico as Fosters is to Australia, export consumption only (except I like Corona, smoother than our local wheat beers).

No one in Australia drinks Fosters or says 'by crikey' (in front of another Aussie anyway).
The last person I meet that drank Fosters said his major reaon to do so was to avoid 'evaporation' at parties. (he could always tell who was drinking his beer)

Shiro
06-17-2002, 11:47 AM
>And let's also not forget Jupiler

That's a very good one! In our city there is a Belgium beer pub (?), anyway in Dutch "Belgisch bier cafe", where they have a lot of Belgium beers from all classes. Jupiler is the standard if you just order a beer. I've never had Maes, but I'll try that.

In the Netherlands we have just a few good beers, my favourite is Gulpener Dort, the other one is Brand. But I usually drink Palm.

If I am correct, then in the Netherlands one is not allowed to buy alcoholic drinks, like beer, when one is younger than 16. But there is no one who really cares about it, only the government says it cares about.

maes
06-17-2002, 02:05 PM
>>only the government says it cares about
same here but when they say that, they use this smily alot ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)