PDA

View Full Version : Sign Up -- The Next Contest

ygfperson
05-30-2002, 09:20 PM
Contest theme: Encryption
Directions: Write a C or C++ program, using your own wits and standard portable function calls, write a program that takes a stream of ASCII text and encrypts it beyond casual readability.
Time limit: Submit your entry to me at geoschnee2@thetruth.com by the midnight between June 8 and June 9. (of course, time zones will make this different, so anything late within a reasonable time frame will be accepted.)
Criteria:
speed -- make it process large text files in a reasonable amount of time
efficiency -- make your program lean and mean
elegance -- make your source code neat and logically flowing
portability -- make it reasonably portable.
Specialized Criteria:
Interface -- either input the text at a prompt, take it from standard input, or take it from a file. Most of this is up to you. Just don't beaucracize it up. :D Graphical User Interfaces (GUIs) are allowed, but will be counted with the same weight as command line interfaces.
Size of Encrypted Data -- don't make it larger than 110% of the original string
Creativity -- this counts double. Make your algorithm new, or give an old one a unique twist.
Strength -- it shouldn't be able to be broken by brute force and ignorance.
Signed up Contestants : 7 slots left
sean945
vasanth
tailorguitarman
hammer
Robr
Xmevs
shaik786
QuestionC

Signed up Judges: 2 slots left
ygfperson
nvoigt

Your entry must be able to both encrypt and decrypt. The length of the inputted string should not matter. (But you can assume text at least two letters long.) An extra 2 points will be averaged in if your entry can encrypt any ASCII string, not just text. (But beware of the carriage return.) Your entry must be able to handle numbers, spaces, letters, and punctuation.

If you want to judge or be a contestant reply to this thread saying which one you want to be. Judges should have the necessary knowledge to judge.

Note: all source code submitted will be posted in public view. It is assumed your program isn't copyrighted or anything like that.

Here's how the point system works:
1) the various judges decide each category on a 5 point scale, 5 being best, 1 being worst, and 0 if that feature doesn't exist.
2) they submit to me their opinions and scores. I also add my scores and opinions.
3) creativity will count twice, and extra points will be added for ASCII compatability.
4) for each judge, their scores will be averaged together to a general 5 point scale.
5) i then average the general scores of the judges for each entry together, for one general score for each entry.
6) i simply compare the points. The higher one wins. :)
7) i post all opinions, scores of each judge, code of participants, and some congradulations to the winner.

Any complaints may be filed with the Internet Forum Subjection Board under a revised provision of the Internet Law. Complaints will be meticuously verified and dealt with as time allows.

Fortunately for me, such a body does not exist. :D

And above all, make sure your program works... ;)

sean345
05-30-2002, 09:43 PM
I will be a contestant. What is the final date to turn a program in?

- Sean

vasanth
05-30-2002, 09:54 PM
I am also a contestant now.. I have a doubt..

Does a graphical user interface get extra points and vcan i use BGI graphics....

vasanth
05-31-2002, 12:32 AM
I have finished my program.. It now even encrypts Any char.. ASCII values.. ANd it is secure enough.. I have used two algorithms combined.. I havent done thre GUI yet.. So can i use BGI graphics.. And is a user interface required.. Some one please answer fast..

nvoigt
05-31-2002, 12:34 AM
If we can have a weekend for judgement, sign me in as judge again ;) Last contest showed me that while it were few participants, I didn't have the time to have a look at the programs in the week :(

Programs should be ANSI C(++?) so we can compare them. I for one don't even have a Borland compiler, so anything Borland specific would go straight to my 'negative mention' list. Same might be true for other judges and VC.
If you need compiler specific things, make sure they are in a seperate file, in which you can set a #define for which compiler it is intended. I would suppose Borland and VC should be supported so any judge can compile at least one version of the program.

So any nice extra will get you bonus points, if you make sure it compiles with any ANSI C compiler on any platform.
( EvilJudge (tm) will test it with GBC on the Gameboy :p )

taylorguitarman
05-31-2002, 01:05 AM
I'm in as a contestant. It'll give me something to do while I continue looking for a job. Just let me know the end date.

vasanth
05-31-2002, 01:34 AM
ohh the i cannot make a good graphical interface.. Any way where do i submit my program..

Hammer
05-31-2002, 07:05 AM
I'll have a go at entering... but I'm off for a 2 week holiday soon, so I might not get it finished in time :(

vasanth
05-31-2002, 07:22 AM
Can some one please clarify.. What kind of interface the program should have.. COmmand line argument or a menu based one.... or somethig else

thanx
vasanth

nvoigt
05-31-2002, 10:20 AM
What I would like is a program that takes all parameters as commandline arguments and if not supplied asks for the missing ones. But I guess thats bonus stuff, as long as it can take input in any ANSI compliant way, it's fine.

ygfperson
05-31-2002, 12:36 PM
sorry for not answering your posts earlier, i was in school...

I will be a contestant. What is the final date to turn a program in?

- Sean
e-mail all entries to geoschnee2@thetruth.com . it's the same address as the last contest. or, if you want, you can pm it to me. (although i don't think you can attach files like that)

I have finished my program.. It now even encrypts Any char.. ASCII values.. ANd it is secure enough.. I have used two algorithms combined.. I havent done thre GUI yet.. So can i use BGI graphics.. And is a user interface required.. Some one please answer fast..
making a GUI that doesn't overly complicate the theme will be evaluated as part of the interface. I cannot give extra points to those who make a GUI, though. It would be unfair to those who have systems not compatable with it, or who simply cannot make a GUI. Simply put, a graphical interface and a command line interface will be evaluated the same, based on the criteria i had posted.

just make the interface logical. if it makes sense to you and the user, do it. doesn't matter if its a menu or just command-line.

all other elements will be counted equally.

RobR
05-31-2002, 01:04 PM
I'll have a slot if I can do it in C++.

(you need a low-end to make everything else look good!!!!!)

ygfperson
05-31-2002, 02:14 PM
Directions: Write a C or C++ program, i'll add you on

vasanth
05-31-2002, 10:01 PM
ok what about nvoigt saying that command line argumented program gets more point.. Is it true.. I feel a menu driven is better since even a lay man can use it.... But i think that the encryption logic and strength should carry maximum marks..
And is it ok. if i accepts meesage from the user keyboard save the encrypted message in a file.. And decrypt it by loading a file..... Please clarify

vasanth
06-01-2002, 02:01 AM
Ok i mailed my entry...

I have attached the read me of my program and a sample encryption... Have a look

Thanx
bye

ygfperson
06-01-2002, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by vasanth
ok what about nvoigt saying that command line argumented program gets more point.. Is it true.. I feel a menu driven is better since even a lay man can use it.... But i think that the encryption logic and strength should carry maximum marks..
that's how he will judge. my view is that if it's a logical and useful interface, it will get points no matter how it is implemented. yes, of course, encryption gets more points. :) look at the criteria. creativity counts double, not to mention a seperate category for strength.

And is it ok. if i accepts meesage from the user keyboard save the encrypted message in a file.. And decrypt it by loading a file..... Please clarify
as i said above, ideally the text should either be read from standard input, maybe using command line redirection syntax
typed in at a prompt within the program
provided in a file, where the file name can be changed within the program

so, in short, yes you can do that.

Xmevs
06-01-2002, 12:26 PM
Count me in.

ygfperson
06-01-2002, 12:28 PM
k

Hammer
06-02-2002, 07:29 PM
mailed ya my entry..... can you confirm receipt please? I'm off on holiday soon (thurs), so I had to post it early :eek:

ygfperson
06-02-2002, 08:28 PM
i've received it. haven't unzipped it or anything, but i'm assuming nothing's wrong.

vasanth
06-02-2002, 08:34 PM
what baout mine.. I too mailed it... Did you receive it.. The one with the subject "Vasanth last entry...." .. please confirm it..

ygfperson
06-03-2002, 12:33 PM
yes, i've received that. it's good to have at least two entries this early into the contest.

taylorguitarman
06-04-2002, 03:57 PM
Mine's in. You can use any type of file and any size key.

shaik786
06-05-2002, 04:53 AM
I would like to take part too. Can I or is it too late???

ygfperson
06-05-2002, 12:56 PM
you're not too late. just e-mail me a submission, preferably a zip file, sometime before midnight between june 8 and june 9. (saturday and sunday). my e-mail address is at the beginning of the thread.

Xmevs
06-06-2002, 04:36 AM
I mailed you mine... please confirm...

ygfperson
06-06-2002, 01:41 PM
confirmed. so far i have entries from:
vasanth
Hammer
sean345
taylorguitarman
Xmevs

did i forget anyone?

shaik786
06-08-2002, 01:26 AM
I submitted mine, please acknowledge

ygfperson
06-08-2002, 05:43 AM
acknowledged.

ygfperson
06-08-2002, 05:56 AM
anyone want to volunteer to be a judge?

QuestionC
06-08-2002, 03:11 PM
I'm in on this one.

... as a contestant

ygfperson
06-08-2002, 04:04 PM
that's nice, but the deadline's midnight.

anyone else for a judge?

ygfperson
06-09-2002, 04:24 PM
The contest is officially over. nvoigt, i'll e-mail the contest pieces soon. then we can talk about the entries sometime.

ygfperson
06-11-2002, 08:01 PM
i've e-mailed nvoigt. results should come sometime soon. be patient, everyone.

people who submitted stuff on time:
Hammer
Vasanth
QuestionC
Sean345
shaik786
taylorguitarman
Xmevs

if i missed your name, please tell me ASAP.
from the programs i reviewed already, it looks like this one will be interesting...

all judicial decisions are final, except in the presense of large sums of cash.

vasanth
06-12-2002, 06:45 AM
and it would be great in case you can post all the program here.. SO we can get a better idea on how each one solves the problem...

ygfperson
06-12-2002, 09:44 AM
but of course. :)

vasanth
06-14-2002, 08:11 AM
When is the result.. We are restless:)

vishal2002
06-16-2002, 04:26 AM
i will be a contestnant.I have sent my program to u:)

vasanth
06-16-2002, 06:01 AM
The contest ended a long back buddy

ygfperson
06-16-2002, 07:40 AM
yes. i can't accept that as an entry, but if you want i can post it later on as another way of doing encryption.

btw, contestants, be patient. i'm sorry for the delay, i'm just waiting for results from nvoigt, and then i'll put in my own scores and comments, average everything, and come up with the winner, 2nd place, 3rd place, etc...

vasanth
06-20-2002, 08:31 PM
When is that pal.. We have been waiting for the surprise.....

ygfperson
06-20-2002, 09:54 PM
i'm sorry to keep you waiting. it's been difficult with only two judges, and it has been hard getting ahold of nvoigt (and getting the contest materials to him). be patient, please. he says he'll judge his part on saturday, and i'll judge mine asap, average scores, etc... and finally post the results.

however, if you want it done sooner, i guess i could be persuaded to decide in one person's favor... the starting bid is $20. do i hear $30? :D

Xmevs
06-21-2002, 04:57 AM
haha :D

Driveway
06-21-2002, 07:23 PM
JUst wondring, when will the results for this contest come out?

ygfperson
06-22-2002, 10:05 AM
soon, hopefully

ygfperson
06-22-2002, 09:47 PM
i've decided to do the judging alone. i have nothing against nvoigt, it's just that he doesn't have time to do this. in any case, i'll post the results by sunday evening. guarenteed. :) sorry to all of you who had to wait so long. don't let this experience turn you off to future contests.

Xmevs
06-23-2002, 09:41 AM
I'll try... :mad:

:D

Driveway
06-26-2002, 04:12 PM
Shouldn't this be unstickied now?

QuestionC
06-26-2002, 04:22 PM
Yea, and it's keeping the results down. We want the contest winners the be the first topic on the forum! :)

Hammer
06-26-2002, 06:09 PM
How about a "hall of fame" sticky thread, to show previous competition winners names/date/code etc......