PDA

View Full Version : The Next Contest(s) -- ideas

ygfperson
05-28-2002, 05:08 AM
nothing is put in stone yet. just throw out some ideas, and some changes from the other contest. btw, i'm not sure i want to do 2 at once yet, given the fact that only 2 ppl participated in this one. but if there's a clear mandate behind any idea, i'll support it.

Hammer
05-28-2002, 05:50 AM
Well, I'm going to cheat.... here's the ideas for the last contest:

- the most obfuscated code (that works)
- calculator program using only bit-wise operations
- text editor. anything from vi and edlin (olde ms-dos) to emacs...
- hex editor.
- 3d renderer for primitive 3d shapes.
- an encryption program with the most creative (and effective) encryption idea

Also, how about:

- Hangman game
- Card game (blackjack, 21, pontoon or whatever)
- Fruit machine

What ever we do, I think it should be console based to avoid OS dependancies (if possible?).

Xmevs
05-28-2002, 06:34 AM
How about encryption?

Commander
05-28-2002, 07:01 AM
I like the file editor idea!

vasanth
05-28-2002, 07:05 AM
Hey is some one trying to copy my encryption code i posted last time...

Well how about building a game...

Small one's . console games

Commander
05-28-2002, 07:11 AM
then the game have to be VERY specific because lots of ppl have writen games and they would be able to post the code they've already writen...just a thought, I could be wrong though...

vasanth
05-28-2002, 10:10 AM
hmm.... It looks like somebody is talking about my snake huh...

vasanth
05-28-2002, 10:18 AM
Hey guys... I will surely participate this time... Please start the contest fast.. ANd congrats to Hammer.. I should say that his code is really structured well...

Ok how about games.. not games that have already been created but new ideas... Well i will use BGI graphics then and wont compile in most compilers..

Well can i use BGi gaphics in the contest(not just for games but for user interfaces in programs).. Some one please answer this..

and encryption seems to be a verry good idea...

Thanx
Bye
Vasanthand encryption seems to be a verry good idea...

Prelude
05-28-2002, 10:30 AM
How about a cash register program? At it's simplest it would be possible for even the greenest of programmers to come up with a decent entry and enough features can be added to give the more advanced coders a good challenge.

-Prelude

ygfperson
05-28-2002, 10:53 AM
cash register programs have one flaw: they're boring. simple, yes, but boring. encryption sounds like more fun to me, without getting too deep into programming.
or a game could work. but it needs to be one set game.
about graphics... i'm not sure how it could work. there are only a few apis capable of cross-platform graphics (SDL being one of them). of course, we could ignore the cross-platform rule to do it, which would make it easier to some degree. but graphics, on any level, take time from the core of the program.
if we're going to do graphics at all, we should specify a dummy API and use that with different graphics libraries, like allegro and sdl. something like

init_graphics();
draw_pixel(x,y,color);
refresh();
etc...

where the functions like init_graphics() have another call to the real function of some api inside them.

of course, i'm just throwing in ideas at this point. i think a card game is doable, although without graphics it kinda loses its touch. or we could stick with an encryption program. or a cash register program. what do you all think?

Unregistered
05-28-2002, 06:12 PM
the text editor sounds fun, one that formats code into a readable format. not a full out editor, almost like a clip board that keeps the code formated with spacing and such. call it a codekeeper or something. i'd try my luck at something like that :)

tim545666
05-28-2002, 06:13 PM
How about a file compression program?

blight2c
05-28-2002, 06:19 PM
that unreg was me

Hammer
05-29-2002, 02:06 AM
How about a simple quiz... say 100 questions on C/C++, general programming, compression, encryption, general knowledge etc etc.

vasanth
05-29-2002, 04:44 AM
Well now i would wote for encryption since everyone seems to agree with that...

seditee
05-29-2002, 05:45 AM
ok. here it is - who has the most senile father? my dad asked me to drive 8o miles round-trip just to get a prescription change for his eye-glasses today....he woke me up out of a dead-sleep at 6:3o am to ask me this. there are a dozen professional eye-glass places here in the town we live in.

vasanth
05-29-2002, 06:33 AM
Well lets get serious and decide about the contest.. Hope encryption is on the list..

Commander
05-29-2002, 06:58 AM
sorry vasanth, I wasn't talking about ur snake game at all!!!! That game wasn't even in my head when I posted that, sorry

vasanth
05-29-2002, 08:53 AM
It dosent matter buddy.. I was just joking... You dont have to feel sorry for simple matters like that.. Hope the contest is soon anounced.. I have my exams from the 10th of june...

Sebastiani
05-29-2002, 10:46 AM
Now THAT'S consensus

The next contest should be a worthwhile challenge to any level of programming. I would vote for a cash register program too. We could even set requirements like seeing to it that the POS system is strictly dependant on 1 file for loading. All changes to that system's file's are done in a single file, so that the program does not need recompilation to be redirected to different filenames. Likewise, no real data should be hard-coded into the program. Sound like fun?
In the future, we might run several contest's concurrently, with several levels of difficulty. But this should be geared toward all sorts of programmers.
Compression seems interesting but, unfortunately, this would occlude newbies from participating (...how about a compiler, for that matter?!...:) ), and still others would probably resort to "incorporating" existing algorithms into their code.
So maybe not compression.
Ditto for the text editor, I guess, although may be not as difficult as it sounds, not sure on that one .
Graphics is not a good canidate to me. Too non-portable, still it deserves a chance in a more specialized contest.
So what are some other ideas?

BTW:
I do have a couple high difficulty ideas for the future, too. Here are some of my suggestions:
-A voice recognition engine...(password validation, for example)
-Yes, a compiler...
-A text recognition engine...easier than biometrics!...
-A browser, console OK too...
-A flight simulator, again- console OK...

Driveway
05-29-2002, 01:28 PM
My foreign language exams start June 4th. Los examenes son dificiles. No me gusta.

vasanth
05-29-2002, 09:48 PM
Start it fast guys.. i am dead waiting..

dbaryl
05-30-2002, 01:00 PM
-A voice recognition engine...(password validation, for example)
-Yes, a compiler...
-A text recognition engine...easier than biometrics!...
-A browser, console OK too...
-A flight simulator, again- console OK...Well, I know that I would nlot be able to do any of these... I think there should either be 2 contests of different levels of difficulty (not much chance of this happaning, huh?), or one that everyone can do... it could be a program that doesn't require much to make a simple one, but allows people to expand on their knowledge... I don't know.

Unregistered
05-30-2002, 03:32 PM
>Yes, a compiler...

Well, how about a script language interpreter? Newbies could do something basic-like, more advanced participants were able to implement more sophisticated features that could make the results actually useful :).

ygfperson
05-30-2002, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by vasanth
Start it fast guys.. i am dead waiting..
it will start once the poll has finished, with mostly the same rules as the other one