PDA

View Full Version : remember, there's a cprogramming site which this board belongs to...

doubleanti
09-23-2001, 03:29 PM
i think we've put too much effort into this board, and not enough into this whole site as a... well... whole site...

can we fix that?

-KEN-
09-23-2001, 04:01 PM
what? there's a site attached to this board? omigosh!

gamegod3001
09-23-2001, 04:05 PM
What site, I go online the main board page pops up, I go to the GD area (unless I have something in another board I need to look at) and I start posting. 4-5 hours latter I read all the post.

no-one
09-23-2001, 04:27 PM
This site needs a news section...

Garfield
09-23-2001, 06:43 PM
I think it's a great site. It is the best forum I've been on. I'm content with it as it is.

DavidP
09-23-2001, 07:37 PM
Yes...the site is kind of due for an update isnt it? It needs some more source code downloads, tutorials maybe, just a little fix up...

But this board is definetely the best one around!

mithrandir
09-23-2001, 11:24 PM
What is there to the site really? Tutorials? Some source code? A list of books?

I agree it could do with an update, and a news section would be good as well.

Govtcheez
09-24-2001, 11:25 AM
Also, the function list could use some updating, or being taken down altogether...

The link to the old board was dead last time I checked...

A basic C tut would be nice, too (instead of just C++)...

Source code and news are definitely cool ideas... we could have a slashdot-style news posting thingy... new articles get modded up and down depending on how good they are...

And, of course, the FAQ needs some updating (for example, the code formatting section)... Things I'd also like to see in the FAQ - prime number routines, writing your own rand, TEXT COLORING (sorry to shout, but that question comes up AT LEAST once a day, oftentimes more), file i/o, etc..... Y'know, typical homework questions...

Witch_King
09-24-2001, 12:35 PM
T-shirts and coffee mugs. What else?

Govtcheez
09-24-2001, 12:39 PM
Oh hell yeah! I for one say we do that - mods and webmaster split the profits! :)

Witch_King
09-24-2001, 12:42 PM
programming video's....

Betazep
09-24-2001, 12:59 PM
Perhaps the webmaster could extend a hand out to competent web designers to have a page that they work on, update regularly etc. We could do it with style sheets so that everything looks the same/similar, but the content would be generated weekly or monthly by the pagemasters. I have some tutorials in my head right now for newbies. I could definitely come up with some stuff...

http://www.cprogramming.com/betazep.htm

http://www.cprogramming.com/govtcheez.htm

etc etc...

This would put a lot less pressure on the webmaster to keep things up and give people a lot of sources of information for people searching for it...

It is all about organization... we can make this work well I think if given the chance.

~Betazep

Govtcheez
09-24-2001, 01:05 PM
Not a bad idea, betazep....

Dean - videos are a pretty cool idea, but would be kinda costly in terms of space, wouldn't they? (I assume you're talking about keeping them on the web like MS does)

Cheeze-It
09-24-2001, 04:00 PM
Yes Govtcheez..

The old board. Please fix it. I need to print
out my bookmarks...

mithrandir
09-24-2001, 05:56 PM
Not a bad idea betazep, but I could see it getting out of hand - look how many members there are, each wanting a page? Perhaps it should be limited to those with over a certain amount of posts.

no-one
09-24-2001, 06:17 PM
I don't want a page i can't do shiet in HTML and or any web language, ill just post news on occasion...

mithrandir
09-24-2001, 06:20 PM
do we really want to know about it? :p

no-one
09-24-2001, 06:21 PM
check my new thread 'Life For Hacking!!!' i think you'll find my news interesting to say the least.

as for the rest i doubt it...:D

doubleanti
09-24-2001, 07:06 PM
>programming video's....

let's make a video on scrutinizing typing speed, choosing the correct keyboard for _you_... and having proper typing technique... nice nice...

Govtcheez
09-25-2001, 08:18 AM
It'd be nice if someone (webmaster, kermi) would reply to this to keep us informed...

Generator
09-25-2001, 09:39 AM
I know HTML. Im alittle rusty I haven't done it in a couple months but im down with helping out.

Betazep
09-25-2001, 01:06 PM
>>Not a bad idea betazep, but I could see it getting out of hand - look how many members there are, each wanting a page? Perhaps it should be limited to those with over a certain amount of posts.

Well... you don't make everybody moderators. So you just don't give everybody a page. Make people accountable by getting all of their personal information and by speaking to them in person.

Also, I said competent web designers. People inquiring to do this, should show html proficency and example webpages...

It is allllllllll about the organization! :D

Govtcheez
09-25-2001, 01:12 PM
Speaking to them in person? Isn't that a little extreme? We don't even (usually) give out real names on this site - why would we give out things like phone numbers and the like....

I'd say Senior Members would be entitled to it...

Also, I don't think competent web design should really be an issue - if the design rocks but there's nothing decent up, I won't go there. Likewise, if the design sucks, but there's tons of info, I'll still probably go there.

Still, we can't do anything without webmaster and/or kermi (and/or because I still haven't figured out what's going on there)

HINT!

Fordy
09-25-2001, 01:28 PM
>>Still, we can't do anything without webmaster and/or kermi (and/or because I still haven't figured out what's going on there)

>>HINT!

Ha ...Ive wondered myself.....though, at one point one would say something and the other would then back it up......possible ruse??

ober
09-25-2001, 01:57 PM
umm... hey fellas... I'm reluctantly stating my own proficiency in HTML and Javascript...

Here's some slight proof, but keep in mind that these are to owner specs (ie. I claim no responsibiltiy for design, content, etc.):

www.aeroenergy.com
www.bic-church.org/allegheny/montgomery

I can do much more and I can do graphics work too... it just takes sooo freakin long!!

Anyways... yeah, I'd be willing to do some organization... and some pages if needed. :) Look at me offering up my services...

ober
09-25-2001, 01:59 PM
oh, and as stated before, those are all done with CSS (style sheets), and I think if we do it, that would be a good idea... portability... you all should know something about that!! :D

Fordy
09-25-2001, 03:05 PM
>>Pastor Dennis Ritchey

I got this from one of ober5861's sites
Cool.... You have the C-Master as your priest!!!

ober
09-25-2001, 03:23 PM
hahaha... that's a good one Fordy.... the guy barely knows how to check his email on Juno....

Fordy
09-25-2001, 03:28 PM
Ask him how it was to create Unix for me huh?? :D

rick barclay
09-25-2001, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by ober5861
umm... hey fellas... I'm reluctantly stating my own proficiency in HTML and Javascript...

Here's some slight proof, but keep in mind that these are to owner specs (ie. I claim no responsibiltiy for design, content, etc.):

www.aeroenergy.com
www.bic-church.org/allegheny/montgomery

I can do much more and I can do graphics work too... it just takes sooo freakin long!!

Anyways... yeah, I'd be willing to do some organization... and some pages if needed. :) Look at me offering up my services...

Really, really nice pasges. Wish I could do that.

HTML code for this site is off, and I think we all know the reason
why. I doubt that member web pages is what our dear webmaster
has in mind for us.

rick barclay

ggs
09-25-2001, 03:52 PM
an article repository that anyone can contribute to?

Also, the board should be on the main page... Link everything else off of it. Or maybe the main page should be just a news page, where the webmaster and mods can post news and links to submitted articles and places of interest, and everything around that. The static front-end in place now doesn't really give a lot of information, and I think some people might be turned away by it instead of coming to these boards (unless we don't really want these people...)

DavidP
09-25-2001, 04:03 PM
I think an article library type of thing would be good. Kind of like what gamedev.net has...

It would allow us to just come here, read some articles, and maybe discuss them too in the good ol' gen. disc. board.

ober
09-25-2001, 04:07 PM
hmm... ok, I know what you're saying about the whole static page thing... that's all I've done up to this point, and while it has it's merit, dynamic pages are where it's at... but can I say one more thing? Why do we need ONE MORE FREAKIN NEWS PAGE?? There are other pages to get that stuff...

www.slashdot.com
www.drudge.com
www.msnbc.com
www.linux.org/com

take your pick... :)