PDA

View Full Version : XP Updates - Don't they just **** you off!

Davros
05-21-2002, 08:56 PM
All Windows XP updates seem to be described simply as:

'This update fixes all previously addressed vulnerabilities...'

What is that supposed to mean? If it's been previously addressed, why the hell do I need to update?

Have you also noticed... that you can't select and copy the text in the update information window?

jdinger
05-21-2002, 08:58 PM
Yet another reason why I'm avoiding XP like the plague. I don't trust anything from MS until it's a year or 2 old.

Commander
05-21-2002, 09:05 PM
posted by jdinger
Yet another reason why I'm avoiding XP like the plague. I don't trust anything from MS until it's a year or 2 old. Finally someone agrees, I've telling that 2 ppl since they started getting XP when it came out....but would they listen, hell no:mad:

novacain
05-21-2002, 11:15 PM
>>Yet another reason why I'm avoiding XP like the plague. I don't trust anything from MS until it's a year or 2 old.

I'm three on that. Agree 100%.
Unless they have Win ME............

napkin111
05-22-2002, 06:56 AM
I've been using XP without any updates for a few months now and I haven't found any problems with it.

napKIN

Aran
05-22-2002, 03:38 PM
using it for what, wiping your candy-a..rear?

in other news: windows 2000 works for me!

Unregistered
05-22-2002, 04:12 PM
Cool side note..I just reinstalled W2k, Office 2000, Norton and VC6. To get all patches installed I have ,,so fare,, rebooted my computer 31 times and I am still not up to date with all SP and security patches...After Installing RH7.3 I have never rebooted. I still like w2k better but it is kinda hard to keep up with all the patching.

Aran
05-22-2002, 05:38 PM
it's better to have active development on an OS and be constantly updating and good, than to have an OS that is updated once a 6 months and is unstable like stevey in a jokes thread.

JasonLikesJava
05-24-2002, 11:23 AM
Scrap XP and download Linux :D

ihsir
05-24-2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by jdinger
Yet another reason why I'm avoiding XP like the plague. I don't trust anything from MS until it's a year or 2 old.

Thats true, me too. [hey it rhymes :D]

novacain
05-26-2002, 08:57 PM
MS is soon releasing a 40Mb patch for the 32Mill 'real' copies of XP in response to the DoJ ruling.

They say they have found some of the more common cracked codes and are locking these versions out, so the patch will not work.

Unregistered
05-26-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by JasonLikesJava
Scrap XP and download Linux :D I am never gonna download linux again, not for some years anyway... XP owns linux.

Fountain
05-27-2002, 05:43 PM
"XP Updates - Don't they just **** you off!
All Windows XP updates seem to be described simply as:

'This update fixes all previously addressed vulnerabilities...'

What is that supposed to mean? If it's been previously addressed, why the hell do I need to update?"

because they have been addressed in bulletins....and here are the fixes...my XP is the most stable of all the OS i have used. oh yes, and all the updates/patches can be found each and every month on that official xp mag jobby thing...no downloading there then.You all like to moan about MS don't you? hehe

JasonLikesJava
05-28-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
I am never gonna download linux again, not for some years anyway... XP owns linux.

You wish... you just couldn't handle its supreme power and authority :D

Yoshi
05-28-2002, 11:25 PM
>because they have been addressed in bulletins....and here are the fixes...my XP is the most stable of all the OS i have used. oh yes, and all the updates/patches can be found each and every month on that official xp mag jobby thing...no downloading there then.You all like to moan about MS don't you? hehe<

All 'new borns' are proven to be pretty much invulnerable to attacks, except for Windows, that is. Security is my top priority and that's why I don't use Windows.

Linux is the most stable OS ever... yet. My Windows crashes every day... (it is true).

Fountain
05-29-2002, 06:45 PM
my windows (old versions) used to crash a lot too..BUT not XP..yeh yeh you all say, but I mean it..it doesnt crash

Nutshell
05-29-2002, 07:15 PM
Same, my old win 98 SEC crashes everyday. WIth xp, it never crashes. And i like the interface. I think the only interface that can beat it is Mac OS X....

Troll_King
05-29-2002, 09:22 PM
I'm using Win2k Professional. I think it is a very good OS, I haven't had any real problems with it. On the other hand, commercial windows OS's (Win9X and WinME) are terrible pieces of junk.