PDA

View Full Version : errors in some pieces of "wisdom"

Aran
05-21-2002, 05:57 PM
The golden rule: Do unto others what you wish done unto yourself.

If you hit someone, then you want to be hit, so if they hit you to satisfy your need to be hit, then you have to hit them back.

that results in both of you being dead.

"Do not throw stones if you live in a glass house"

We all live in glass houses. If we all don't throw stones then will there be any advancement in society/science/ anything?

no, we'll just be a bunch of quiet primatives.

Sebastiani
05-21-2002, 06:08 PM
Why you poetic bastard.

Dual-Catfish
05-21-2002, 06:59 PM
How about the theory that all human action is motiviated by selfishness? It certainly seems logical to me, what do you guys/gals think? This somewhat ties into "Do unto others what you wish done unto yourself."

-KEN-
05-21-2002, 07:11 PM
>>The golden rule: Do unto others what you wish done unto yourself.

If you hit someone, then you want to be hit, so if they hit you to satisfy your need to be hit, then you have to hit them back.

that results in both of you being dead.<<

I don't think it's meant to be taken in every sense. You're contorting its meaning there.

>>"Do not throw stones if you live in a glass house"

We all live in glass houses. If we all don't throw stones then will there be any advancement in society/science/ anything?

no, we'll just be a bunch of quiet primatives.<<

What does throwing stones have anything to do with scientific advancement? And how do we all live in glass houses again? And oh, yeah, this isn't a literal thing either.

See, it bugs me when people take some things and misconstrue them like that.

Dual-Catfish
05-22-2002, 04:55 AM
I don't think it's meant to be taken in every sense. You're contorting its meaning there.

I'm pretty sure thats the point.

What does throwing stones have anything to do with scientific advancement? And how do we all live in glass houses again? And oh, yeah, this isn't a literal thing either.
You're right, it's not supposed to be taken literally. So why are you taking it literally? Glass Houses is an obvious allusion.