PDA

View Full Version : Which Linux distro is better ?

pritesh
05-20-2002, 02:56 PM
Hi !!
I want to install Linux on my friend's system. Which distro of Linux would be better ? I have a Red Hat 7.2 and a Debian (Potato, i think thats what its called !!). Both of us are newbies. Though I tried asking around, the respose was quite confusing and I cant install both the Linux Distros due to hard disk limitations. Could anyone please suggest which distro to go for ?

Thanks and Regards

Pritesh

SilentStrike
05-20-2002, 03:24 PM
For a newbie, I'd recommend Red Hat. Although Debian is very nice after it's installed (as you'll find out, installing new software in Linux isn't the easiest thing, as it often requires getting dependencies before software will install, and those dependencies often have other dependencies, etc. Debian provides a program called apt which recursively gets dependencies and installs software for you easily), it's not easy to install. I've personally tried Debian after I had been using Mandrake for awhile, and I couldn't even really get X (the basis for pretty much all GUIs in Linux) working properly. On the other hand, Red Hat should install pretty easily, despite probably being a little bit more painful to install software with after you get it going.

So, I'd recommend Red Hat, unless you have someone experienced to help you through the Debian install.

mix0matt
05-20-2002, 05:12 PM
any one of the three major distros (Mandrake, SuSE, RedHat) are easy enough to install unless you're dealing with very old or very new hardware.

MethodMan
05-20-2002, 09:28 PM
I recenlty purchased a Mandrake kit, which had several Cds and some manuals, although you can get it for free too. I just popped in the Cd, and a boot disk, and the installation was a piece of cake, with the Graphical interface provided.

SilentStrike
05-20-2002, 09:51 PM
I use Mandrake myself as well, although it's not that different than Red Hat, as it actually started from a fork of Red Hat.

starX
05-20-2002, 11:15 PM
If you're a newb, RedHat, definitely RedHat.

starX
www.axisoftime.com

Unregistered
05-21-2002, 12:12 AM
i'm a redhat user, but i've tried all of the "big three". i almost think that the newer suse releases are the easiest to run once you get it installed....yast2 is by far the best adminstrative tool i've seen in any of the distrobutions. i switched from suse 7.1 to redhat because of issues with my usb cd drive. they are probably fixed by now, but redhat handled the drive wonderfully and i never looked back..i think you should try them all...they're all great in they're own way...

JasonLikesJava
05-21-2002, 11:14 AM
I'm a linux newbie and Mandrake has been great :D

Lynux-Penguin
05-25-2002, 12:13 AM
for newbies, I suggest
RedHat (for Servers or practical uses)
for home I suggest either
Mandrake
or
SuSE

M-21
06-21-2002, 10:20 PM
SuSe 8.0 offer an easy installation and upgrade option. Yast2 give best assist to newbie and prof :)

itld
06-23-2002, 07:44 PM
howdy,
RH 7.2 is slick and adding stuff with the RPM packages is pretty easy.

M.R.

chris
06-24-2002, 12:08 AM
adding things with apt-get is even easier than with RPMs ;)

biosx
06-25-2002, 12:57 PM
RedHat isn't just for newbies. I use RH7.3 and it is perfect for me.

I think the key is to try a few and see which one makes you feel more comfortable. I used Mandrake for about a year and just decided to try RedHat one day. Turned out that I liked it and haven't gone back.

Good luck

Unregistered
07-05-2002, 11:53 AM
I installed SuSE yesterday, without any complications. I love it :-)

onurak
07-09-2002, 03:03 PM
i recommend you suse becouse you will have everthing installed once you install the system and suse gives you easy maintace for newbies and it comes with 1000 's of prog inside you wont need to download a program

angelfly
07-10-2002, 07:17 AM
There is no one distro that is better than another.It all depends on the person using.I myself perfer Slackware.I use it on my laptop.But I also like Mandrake so I put that on my desktop.I have it there cuz I'm trying to teach my sister about linux.But different people have different taste.Inside all distros are the same they are all linux.Alot of people say Red Hat is insecure (I agree) but all you have to do is secure it no need to go about calling it a bad distro.Every distro has it's pros and cons.