PDA

View Full Version : What Prgramming languages did you learn at school??

Inept Pig
05-17-2002, 06:32 AM
I've just been on the 'C' help board and someone mentioned that they learned C/C++ at school, and somebody else stated that they ONLY learned JAVA.

My question is this, how come these people got to learn languages at school and I had to put up with using BBC micros and Acorns, at a time when PCs with Windows was popular? and on these, all I got 'taught' was how to use a spreadsheet, wordprocesser, and all the other things that go with it....

Not that I'm bitter or anything, but how many other people learned a language at school??

:confused:

Commander
05-17-2002, 06:51 AM
NONE!

Hammer
05-17-2002, 07:21 AM
>BBC micros and Acorns
I remember them old things!

Got taught none at school, had to pay for part-time courses at the local uni when I was working. Shame, I'd love to have done C at school :rolleyes:

heat511
05-17-2002, 08:44 AM
im in highschool and had 1 year of VB and will have 3 years of C++ by my senior year

vasanth
05-17-2002, 10:18 AM
6th standard Bacis
7th standard qbasic, logic
9th standard cobol
12th standard pascal
college c,c++,java,asm

Xmevs
05-17-2002, 10:21 AM
Look! A India guy! :p

I learned none at school, but of course it depends a lot on which subjects you take...

RobR
05-17-2002, 10:25 AM
Fortran:mad:

incognito
05-17-2002, 01:12 PM
The school that I currently attend sucks, they only teach how to USE software and not even that they do a pretty good job at, thing like powerpoint, how to write a letter, how to make a freaking magazine with pagemaker. But it should all be over in about 3 more weeks. I want to get out of there so bad.....................

BTW What languages did you learn in College, did you learn any APIs besides the Windows API?

Cruxus
05-17-2002, 02:05 PM
At my public (for you British, nonparochial, state-run) high school, there are no longer any courses in programming. Last year, they offerred a semester course in QBasic called "Computer Science/QBasic;" and, before that, they offerred QBasic class as a recommended class for the year-long "Computer Science/Pascal" course, which used Borland Turbo Pascal 5.x for MS-DOS. also, a semester-long independent study in programming was offerred; a student could choose C, C++, Visual Basic, or Delphi if he or she wanted (not sure on the details). This year, there was basically no computer science department, though the business department offers classes in "business and office applications" (i.e., Microsoft Office suite and Corel WordPerfect suite applications). The industrial technology (i.e., shop or the old IT) department offers a few courses that include the use of CAD programs. Photography has Adobe PhotoShop on the Mac. And so on.

Next year, at least, they are introducing some somewhat more up-to-date information technology courses for A+ certification and Network+ certification but, unfortunately, the real computer science department is dead. (I will not be taking any IT classes next year as a senior.)

In case you could not have guessed, I did not take either the QBasic or the Turbo Pascal class. Both were taught by the same incompetant teacher; and a schedule conflict prevented me from getting into one, anyway.

Dual-Catfish
05-17-2002, 02:10 PM
My school offers HTML and Visual Basic as a grade 12 course :)
I'll be taking it next year in grade 11 though

DrakkenKorin
05-17-2002, 02:42 PM
In high school the closest you can get to computer science/programming was in BASIC. (From what my brother has told me its about the same, although he really isn't interested in computers so I don't entirely believe him).

College: C++, Pascal, Java, C, Perl, MIPS, SQL

Inept Pig
05-17-2002, 05:34 PM
The only programming I learned before I begun with distance learning in C and now C++, was on the Amstrad, something along the lines of:

10 PRINT "Inept Pig can Program"
20 GOTO 10

filled the screen! telling everyone that, I, a very inept pig, could program.. oh the joys....

And that was what hooked me on programming... :D

School didn't help me at all, some people have all the luck...

incognito
05-17-2002, 07:47 PM
Oh I forgot they got cisco in the school that I currently attend (oh I cannot stress this enough, I will only be attending it for the next 3 weeks only, then I AM OUT!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully :D) but yes they do have cisco. Of course HTML and Dynamic HTML. They just got a bunch of Micromedia stuff today. Like the whole package and some other software, dreamweaver, flash and so on. Well that'll be for the kids next year.

DavidP
05-17-2002, 08:10 PM
8th - Logo, BASIC
9th - C++, Lisp, Pascal
10th - C++, Lisp, Pascal, Assembly
11th - C++, Assembly, HTML (if you consider it one)

plans for future: Cobol, Fortran, more Assembly, more C++. You can never get too much C++.

cozman
05-17-2002, 10:51 PM
i knew a few languages, but i took the CS course, learned pascal, and now i'm helping the teacher convert her entire course to C++ for next year (5 days left)

tim545666
05-18-2002, 01:02 AM
Until 9th grade my schools never offered any programming or computer classes. I had never even heard of qBASIC, C++, Java.... Now my high school offers qBASIC, AP Computer Science (C++), and Independant Study - Computer Science (C++). I took the qBASIC as a freshman because to take APCS you have to be enrolled in Algebra 2 or higher (even though we havent touched a single aspect of math all year). Next year, as a junior as well as my senior year I will take the independant study.