PDA

View Full Version : British people - Gibralter requests your support

stevey
05-16-2002, 05:45 PM
In an advert placed in 'The Times' and other newpapers today by the Gibraltar Government, Gibraltarians are requesting that you E mail a brief letter of support against proposed deals with Spain over the sovereignity of Gibraltar.

you can do this by E mailing:
info@gibraltar.gov.uk

they point out in the advert that :

Gibraltar has been British since 1704,
is self-governing, politically stable, economically prosperous and part of the EU,
is financially self-sufficient-costing the UK taxpayer nothing,
is a strategic military base,
has unilaterally, unequivacally supported Britain in all her wars and conflicts since before the Napoleonic War right through to the Falklands war...(notably in the Second World War and as a NATO base)

i would also add "a referendum was held at which the people of Gibraltar were asked whether they wanted to remain British or be handed over to Spain. Over 12,000 people voted for Britain, with only 44 choosing the Spanish option"

virtually the entire population recently took to the streets to proclaim they wished to remain British...

GIBRALTAR IS BRITISH

please show your support.........

ygfperson
05-16-2002, 07:04 PM
didn't all british colonies become independant already?

either way, i would vote for gibraltian autonomy, free from spanish or british rule

stevey
05-16-2002, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by ygfperson
didn't all british colonies become independant already?

either way, i would vote for gibraltian autonomy, free from spanish or british rule

FREE FROM BRITISH RULE ????? what on earth are you on about!!!!!!! thats like saying ''i vote for Hawii or Alaska or massachusetts etc to be free of American rule''

Gibraltar is a part of the United Kingdom and they wish to remain so...they DO NOT WANT TO BE INDEPENDANT, THEY WISH TO BE BRITISH AND NOT SPANISH!!!! if they voted for independance they can have it, no problem, THEY DON'T WANT IT!!!!! they don't want to be part of Spain thats the whole point.....like the Falklands didn't want to be part of Argentina.....the people of Gibraltar vote in the UK general elections, as well as their local elections, they are UK citizens and want to stay that way...

GOVERNMENT
Country name:
conventional long form: none
conventional short form: Gibraltar

Data code: GI

Dependency status: overseas territory of the UK

Government type: NA

Capital: Gibraltar

Administrative divisions: none (overseas territory of the UK)

Independence: none (overseas territory of the UK)

National holiday: Commonwealth Day (second Monday of March)

Constitution: 30 May 1969

Legal system: English law

Suffrage: 18 years of age; universal, plus other UK subjects who have been residents six months or more

Executive branch:
chief of state: Queen ELIZABETH II (since 6 February 1952), represented by Governor and Commander-in-Chief, the Right Honorable Sir Richard LUCE (since 24 February 1997)
head of government: Chief Minister Peter CARUANA (since 17 May 1996)
cabinet: Council of Ministers appointed from among the elected members of the House of Assembly by the governor in consultation with the chief minister
note: there is also a Gibraltar Council that advises the governor
elections: none; the monarch is hereditary; governor appointed by the monarch; chief minister appointed by the governor

Legislative branch: unicameral House of Assembly (18 seats—15 elected, on for the Speaker, and two ex officio; members are elected by popular vote to serve four-year terms)
elections: last held 16 May 1996 (next to be held NA May 2000)
election results: percent of vote by party—SD 53%, SL 42%, NP 3%; seats by party—SD 8, SL 7

Judicial branch: Supreme Court; Court of Appeal

minesweeper
05-17-2002, 03:19 AM
I just tried to e-mail that link but the mail failed.

Gades
05-17-2002, 05:04 AM
I'm sorry for you guy, but I think that Gibraltar should belong to Spain, just like Ceuta and Melilla shouldn't be Spanish anymore.

Why in the world people from Gibraltar feel British if they don't even speak English?

I know they "can" speak English, but, when they're at home or with friends, they speak SPANISH!

Will you explain me how you can feel Italian if you don't even speak Italian at home? how French would you feel living at 1000 miles from France and speaking in Turkish?

Come on! people from Gibraltar wont to stay British becuase that way their "wallets" are healthier, that is the only reason. And also, because they think you can feel more proud belonging to a "big nation" like GB than to those lazy Spaniards.

They ain't British! (nor English, Scotish, Welsh, Irish...)

ygfperson
05-17-2002, 06:03 AM
in the interest of keeping american-anglo relations civil, i'll say only one thing:
if everybody on gibraltar wants to be english, why do they need our support?

Fordy
05-17-2002, 06:05 AM
We are all Europeans now........sovereignity is old.....

All we need are a few Jedi Knights and the republic will be all we need.

Inept Pig
05-17-2002, 06:37 AM
Surely it won't affect much, people e-mailing someone about Gibraltar, surely in the end it will be decided by the ruling powers there and the residents of Gibraltar.

E-mails from nosey outsiders can barely be expected to sway anything...

minesweeper
05-17-2002, 07:42 AM
Why are we nosey outsiders? We are british people e-mailing the british government to petition that they don't force other british citizens to be ruled under a different country. I would like to think that the overwhelming evidence that the people of Gibralter want to remain british would be enough to stop the government handing it over, but as any brit knows, Tony Blair doesn't listen to a word any of us "normal people" say unless we shout loud enough or pay a large enough donation to the Labour party.

Gades
05-17-2002, 08:08 AM
For those of you who don't know me, I'm not British (but I do live in the UK), I'm Spanish.

stevey
05-17-2002, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by minesweeper
I just tried to e-mail that link but the mail failed.

goddamn it, i can't spell for toffee....

try the edited link, i spelt Gibraltar mistakenly with an e !!!
sorry...

stevey
05-17-2002, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Gades
I'm sorry for you guy, but I think that Gibraltar should belong to Spain, just like Ceuta and Melilla shouldn't be Spanish anymore.

Why in the world people from Gibraltar feel British if they don't even speak English?

I know they "can" speak English, but, when they're at home or with friends, they speak SPANISH!

Will you explain me how you can feel Italian if you don't even speak Italian at home? how French would you feel living at 1000 miles from France and speaking in Turkish?

Come on! people from Gibraltar wont to stay British becuase that way their "wallets" are healthier, that is the only reason. And also, because they think you can feel more proud belonging to a "big nation" like GB than to those lazy Spaniards.

They ain't British! (nor English, Scotish, Welsh, Irish...)

ok what about the Canary iselands...they are next to Morrocco, NOT Spain....if all the Canary islands people want to remain Spanish, is it fair to give the islands to Morocco ?????

ive been to Gibraltar, and everyone spoke English ..mebe they spoke English because i was English i dunno, but anyway if 99% of them want to remain part of the UK cos they are financially better off then i think they have that right....

a lot of our Asian community speak Urdu and other languages at home, but they are still British.....

stevey
05-17-2002, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Inept Pig
Surely it won't affect much, people e-mailing someone about Gibraltar, surely in the end it will be decided by the ruling powers there and the residents of Gibraltar.

E-mails from nosey outsiders can barely be expected to sway anything...

eh??? nosey outsiders??? we are all UK citizens.....

I think you may have missed the point that the advert placed in the British press was paid for by the Gibraltar Government, acting on the wishes of the vast majority of their population...
they request that their fellow UK citizens petition the British Government. this is because they feel that the British Government is not acting according to their wishes, and that only by demonstrating your support will our government ever listen......

stevey
05-17-2002, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by minesweeper
Why are we nosey outsiders? We are british people e-mailing the british government to petition that they don't force other british citizens to be ruled under a different country. I would like to think that the overwhelming evidence that the people of Gibralter want to remain british would be enough to stop the government handing it over, but as any brit knows, Tony Blair doesn't listen to a word any of us "normal people" say unless we shout loud enough or pay a large enough donation to the Labour party.

exactly, well said.....thank you.

Gades
05-17-2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by stevey

ok what about the Canary iselands...they are next to Morrocco, NOT Spain....if all the Canary islands people want to remain Spanish, is it fair to give the islands to Morocco ?????

ive been to Gibraltar, and everyone spoke English ..mebe they spoke English because i was English i dunno, but anyway if 99% of them want to remain part of the UK cos they are financially better off then i think they have that right....

a lot of our Asian community speak Urdu and other languages at home, but they are still British.....

About the Canary Iselands, I think just the same thing like Ceuta and Melilla, I just gave two examples, but I meant more than the example. Just one point: people from Canary speak Spanish.

About the Gibraltar people speaking English: yes, they spoke English to you because you're English. I've been to Gibraltar lots of times in my life (I grew up quite close to it); and I've met lots of students from Gibraltar when I was living in England. I've been in a house full of students from Gibraltar, and while I was in a room with one of them, I could hear how all the guys next door were speaking Spanish, while watching BBC news. About this case, let me know that it's only an example; just in case...

Although, as Sir Fordy said, we're Europeans (even we don't have the Euro in here yet, but give it a few years...).

stevey
05-17-2002, 11:00 AM

About the Canary Iselands, I think just the same thing like Ceuta and Melilla, I just gave two examples, but I meant more than the example. Just one point: people from Canary speak Spanish.

About the Gibraltar people speaking English: yes, they spoke English to you because you're English. I've been to Gibraltar lots of times in my life (I grew up quite close to it); and I've met lots of students from Gibraltar when I was living in England. I've been in a house full of students from Gibraltar, and while I was in a room with one of them, I could hear how all the guys next door were speaking Spanish, while watching BBC news. About this case, let me know that it's only an example; just in case...

Although, as Sir Fordy said, we're Europeans (even we don't have the Euro in here yet, but give it a few years...).

i can assure you that English is the official language !!!!!
street signs, shops, government etc etc etc
of course gibraltar is a multi-ethic place, most people are bi-lingual. youve taken one example and tried to make out that that Gibraltarians tend to speak Spanish, they DO NOT !!! they speak both, English is predominant..

""Official language is English, though the local population is bi-lingual, speaking also Spanish ""

""Population: 30.000
Official language: English
Ethnic groups: Italian, English, Maltese, Portuguese, Spanish

Background: Strategically important Gibraltar was ceded to Great Britain by Spain in 1713. In a 1967 referendum, Gibraltarians ignored Spanish pressure and voted overwhelmingly to remain a British dependency.
(Source: WorldFackbook 2000 CIA) ""

"The population is mostly of English, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, or Maltese descent. Nearly three quarters of the population is Roman Catholic, and there are Protestant, Muslim, and Jewish minorities. English is the official language. ""

""Population
The Rock now has about 30,000 inhabitants, of which 26,000 are native Gibraltarians, the balance being made up mainly of British expatriates. English is the official language but most Gibraltarians also speak and write Spanish.""

Cruxus
05-17-2002, 02:23 PM
I am neither British nor European, but I say let the people of Gibraltar be governed as they would like to be governed and by whom they would like to be governed. If the vast majority of the population of Gibraltar wishes to remain a dependency of the United Kingdom, so be it! Spanish diplomatic pressure on Britain should not undermine Gibraltar's right to self-determination.

The language spoken by the people does not necessarily determine nationality, anyway (e.g., U.S.-born children of Mexican immigrants are still citizens of the United States even if they speak Spanish in preference to English). Even if the Gibraltrans speak Spanish as their preferred language and even if most of their ancestors came from Spain, Portugal, Malta, etc. and not the British Isles, the people of Gibraltar still have the right to remain of the British nationality they gained when Spain ceded Gibraltar to the United Kingdom.

Gades
05-17-2002, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by stevey

i can assure you that English is the official language !!!!!
street signs, shops, government etc etc etc
of course gibraltar is a multi-ethic place, most people are bi-lingual. youve taken one example and tried to make out that that Gibraltarians tend to speak Spanish, they DO NOT !!! they speak both, English is predominant..

""Official language is English, though the local population is bi-lingual, speaking also Spanish ""

""Population: 30.000
Official language: English
Ethnic groups: Italian, English, Maltese, Portuguese, Spanish

Background: Strategically important Gibraltar was ceded to Great Britain by Spain in 1713. In a 1967 referendum, Gibraltarians ignored Spanish pressure and voted overwhelmingly to remain a British dependency.
(Source: WorldFackbook 2000 CIA) ""

"The population is mostly of English, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, or Maltese descent. Nearly three quarters of the population is Roman Catholic, and there are Protestant, Muslim, and Jewish minorities. English is the official language. ""

""Population
The Rock now has about 30,000 inhabitants, of which 26,000 are native Gibraltarians, the balance being made up mainly of British expatriates. English is the official language but most Gibraltarians also speak and write Spanish.""

From this quote, I just take:

"youve taken one example and tried to make out that that Gibraltarians tend to speak Spanish, they DO NOT !!! they speak both, English is predominant.."

would you please read more carefully my previous post? I said it was just an example!

I don't care if Gibraltar is ruled under British or Spanish law. I just say, that in general, all this type of places (like Ceuta, Gibraltar... ) should belong to the country where they are.

And about the people from Gibraltar, I say that they're not 100% British, since they don't even have English as their main language (whatever you say).

stevey
05-17-2002, 08:27 PM

From this quote, I just take:

"youve taken one example and tried to make out that that Gibraltarians tend to speak Spanish, they DO NOT !!! they speak both, English is predominant.."

would you please read more carefully my previous post? I said it was just an example!

>>>>that 2nd post was an example, your first post said Spanish was the main language. and this you were touting as your main argument that Gibraltar should be Spanish. read it again. so now ive proven you wrong, your argument is a bit flat!!!

I don't care if Gibraltar is ruled under British or Spanish law. I just say, that in general, all this type of places (like Ceuta, Gibraltar... ) should belong to the country where they are.

>>>really ?? well Alaska is closer to Russia and Canada than the USA, so mebe it ought to be ceded to Canada ?? similarly Greenland (its nowhere near denmark ). hawaii is roughly equadistant from mexico and usa, so mebe they ought to toss a coin for it??? Hong Kong is nowhere near the UK, but China never invaded it, or even tried to claim it, until it was handed over as per the agreement. communist china can be sensible, why can't Spain?? a lot of countries have islands and territories around the world, the USA has islands all over the pacific and close to Phillipines.....your 'nearest country to it gets it' argument is ridiculous. territories have been acquired historically, and in the case of Gibraltar, its been British for 300 years ie longer than most countries in the world have been in existance as states

And about the people from Gibraltar, I say that they're not 100% British, since they don't even have English as their main language (whatever you say).

>>>>>Every goddamn source i can find on the internet says that Gibraltans are bi-lingual but speak English predominantly and that English is their chosen official language. (it still doesn't matter if they speak swahili, if they vote to remain British then let them). you are wrong, i am right. ive quoted the Gibraltar tourist board and others, what more evidence do you need ???

and ive not claimed they are 100%British, ive quoted the race mix.
around 26,000 italian, english, maltese, portugese , spanish decent plus 4000 ex pat brits. so they most certainly are not mainly Spanish either now are they????

and the vote is remarkably overwhelmingly in favour of staying British, they are even putting adverts in Brit papers asking for our support to ensure our government doesn't give in to Spain for goodness sake...........

fyodor
05-17-2002, 10:10 PM
It's rather ridiculous that the British are considering handing over Gibraltar to Spain. How do you think Rhode Island would take it if the US announced that they were just kicking them out of the country? My God. BTW, isn't this rather similar with what's happening over on the Emerald Isle now?