PDA

View Full Version : a note to those of you who drink

Pages : [1] 2

Aran
05-14-2002, 06:13 PM
you probably already know this, but if you drink 100% alcohol, you will go temporarily blind until the alcohol passes out of your system.

doubleanti
05-14-2002, 06:29 PM
wow, are you serious? what quantity? i wanna try this! oh wait, no i can't, it's alchohol... dang... where can i find information on this blindness inducing inductant? i've always been curious about blindness...

niklaskr
05-14-2002, 06:39 PM
will you also get drunk???

doubleanti
05-14-2002, 06:44 PM
no, not necessarily, that definately depends on the amount of 200 proof you consume...

muttski
05-14-2002, 07:21 PM
Whoa!!! btw doubleanti, why cant you drink, you allegric or something.

Aran
05-14-2002, 07:27 PM
one of my friend's friends did it while he was around and was blind for 12+ hours because of it. I think this could be after you drink a shot or two, but i'm not sure.

Most people would just pass out cold after a shot or two of straight alcohol if not from the alcohol itself, but from the horrid taste and throat burning power.

doubleanti
05-14-2002, 07:27 PM
>>allegric

damnit i told you already, i don't use Allegro, it's all DIY!!! :)

no i'm not... i don't drink is all... by the way, how old do you think i am?

golfinguy4
05-14-2002, 07:30 PM
Straight alcohol, now that takes balls.

hermit
05-14-2002, 07:48 PM
drinking a 100% alcohol? nutss!
couple whisky that is 40% , and im outta theree. .

how can one drink straight 100% alc? impossible. that will burn your tummy . .

lightatdawn
05-14-2002, 07:49 PM
>>if you drink 100% alcohol, you will go temporarily blind until the alcohol passes out of your system.

No. No you wont.

>>Straight alcohol, now that takes balls.

Yes, and it also knocks them straight off. Someone mentioned a burning taste... They've barely begun to describe... Ever tasted gasoline? Lets just say that I'd rather drink that then have another double of 200 proof again... Seriously people, you really dont want to try it. I was worshipping the Porcelin God for hours.

Unregistered
05-14-2002, 08:16 PM
aran elus,

i don't know where you heard that...maybe some baptist group or something, but it's just not true. methanol, not grain alchohol is toxic. not the kind you drink, idiot..

Aran
05-14-2002, 08:21 PM
who knows, maybe my friend's "200 proof alcohol" was in fact laced with methanol?

why don't you go and sit in the middle of traffic.

blight2c
05-14-2002, 08:49 PM
i hope you're not glorifying this stuff. a close friend of mine passed out one night drinking this mexican everclear stuff. we brought him home and what not and left him on the sofa. when his father found him the next day (dead) his face was so deformed from alcohol poisoning that his own father couldn't recognize his face. don't mess with this stuff, there's better ways of passing the time.

lightatdawn
05-14-2002, 09:00 PM
>>i hope you're not glorifying this stuff

No offence, but its harmless in moderation. Drinking wont give you alcohol poisoning. Drinking one helluva lot will give you alcohol poisoning. Tylenol is good for headaches. An entire bottle of Tylenol...?

Know your limit. And I mean actually know it. Some people arent able to know their limit. By the time they get there, they've passed the point where they're able to make rational decisions. Hopefully then you have one of those annoying friends that takes your keys and beats you up until you go to sleep on his floor. Fun is fun. Killing someone (or dying yourself) is not.

I've been known to go out and get absolutly **** faced, but you wont find me behind the wheel, out fighting on the street, yelling at the waitress, puking on the sidewalk, whatever, etc etc etc. Responsability isnt something that comes automatically when you turn 19 (21 some places) as the gov seems to think.

novacain
05-14-2002, 11:44 PM
>>I was worshipping the Porcelin God for hours.

As we say "Driving the porcelin bus" or "having a technicolour yawn"

Methanol causes blindness. Is byproduct of incorrect distilation. Can be tested for by evaporating teaspoon of liquor. If leaves brown/black residue do not drink.

fyodor
05-15-2002, 01:36 AM
Everclear...Sweet Jesus. *shudders at the memories*

novacain
05-15-2002, 01:53 AM
When I was at uni doing Microbiology/Molecular biology we bred a form of brewing yeast that could survive alchol at over 25%. (normal is around 14-17%)

Made 'swampland lager' at 23%.

Only once though, you learn from your mistakes. Would cut right thru you the next day.

Cheeze-It
05-15-2002, 01:35 PM
I think there was a M.A.S.H. episode about this.

incognito
05-15-2002, 02:14 PM
Just don't EVER mix a substantial amount of beer and alcohol together, they don't go together really nice. TRUST ME. I don't really know why though. But it will make you feel really bad.

-KEN-
05-15-2002, 03:30 PM
"Beer before liquor, you'll never be sicker;
Liquor before beer, have no fear"

Duh.

anyhow, I'm agreeing with l@d here. In moderation, in moderation, in moderation. I mean, I've been really f'ed in the past, but I could always figure out when I really needed to stop before I killed myself, and I could always keep myself under enough control to keep myself out of trouble (and out of cuffs :))

Vicious
05-15-2002, 03:37 PM
If you know that theres a possibility that drinking could harm you....

Why even drink? Isnt that kind of stupid?
And drinking in "moderation", if you have to be soo careful as too how much you drink... HELLO PPL.

No one HAS to drink, i mean if they dont get addicted.

seditee
05-15-2002, 03:53 PM
not only do i not drink; i cannot drink. i used to drink. quit more than ten years ago...i tried to start back up and i couldn't. i get migraines and chest pains when i do.

Clyde
05-15-2002, 04:06 PM
"If you know that theres a possibility that drinking could harm you....
Why even drink? Isnt that kind of stupid? "

There's a possiblity that walking outside could harm you...

blight2c
05-15-2002, 07:09 PM
great . . . now we got a "i got so drunk dude" thread going.

No offence, but its harmless in moderation.

i'm not doubting this, i only wish 200 proof was not lauded to the kiddies as a good time. in all honesty, i'd push cocain before everclear and the like; at least with the harder drugs ther's a gradual progression toward trouble and in all liklyhood there would be someone experienced with you to "guide", so to speak. alcohol comes in a bottle, anyone can overdose, but how many 13-year-olds know how to correctly prick a vein?

just skip the everclear and grab some lady bombay instead . . . another useless minute spent ranting

Aran
05-15-2002, 07:59 PM
i never drink, btw, i think that alcohol is a rather unfrienly tasting substance... i don't drink it because of that.

I use logic and reasoning where others do it just to be a rebel, go fig(newton).

seditee
05-15-2002, 10:04 PM
the taste improves with every glassss...it still sux. takes away your inhibitions; makes you do and say things you wouldn't normally do under sober circumstances...i'm one of those whose personality changes when i'm drunk...i become kind of psychotic in a way...i don't miss it at all. i quit cold turkey...and it isn't difficult to get others to do the same...i could go into it sometime...as usual, i'm not in the mood right now. basically though...to quit it...you need to disassociate yourself from your drunkard friends until you get it together. find hobbies e.g. amateur astronomy, take up a movie downtown once every week...drink only on weekends, then make it only once every month...then only on holidays. once it's out of your system, you'll begin to realize that it isn't the non-drinking world that's out of touch...and corny...etc...it was YOU...because you were chemically addicted and you didn't realize it. if you get started back up once you've quit...only drink for a solid month...if that fails, make it two months, increments of one month; that way you can look back after you quit again and say to yourself...i took it back up for e.g. 3 months back in 2002...and i haven't touched it since....it's psychological...and yes, i learned this in the twilight zone...i.e. from within.....my own method.

:rolleyes: seriously.

TechWins
05-15-2002, 10:43 PM
I'm only 15, but believe it or not I have drinken...oh what a surprise lol. I started to drink about 2 years ago and as time went on i started to drink a little more frequently but still not that often at all and then sometime in last november i got stupid. i drank 3 beers and 10 shots of rum in about a 2 and a half hour span...I'm not sure if this sounds like much to some of you but it was for me. i got so incredibly messed up. after that i said i would never drink again which i didn't...until a few weekends ago when i started to drink. actually enough, though, i took about one or two drinks and i became so repulsed from it. everytime i think about alcohol since that night i get grossed out. even more so now i have no desire to drink. so i guess in all reality getting messed up that night actually had an upside...i don't have any desire to drink.

Vicious
05-15-2002, 10:51 PM
Boy you guys need help :o

TechWins
05-15-2002, 11:04 PM
Boy you guys need help

What sets me apart from you that makes me need 'help'?

Vicious
05-15-2002, 11:07 PM
well that wasnt aimed at you tech, just evry body in general.
I have never touched a beer or anything and dont plan too.
It just seems stupid to drink some thing that could harm you in such a way.

seditee
05-16-2002, 12:18 AM
kids should NEVER touch alcohol or illegal drugs. i just thought it would be a good idea to make that point...even though it's the obvious...because of my prior message. no offense, tech...i thought we were all adults. & that's right, vicious...alcohol is a dangerous drug.

Clyde
05-16-2002, 04:30 AM
Heh how old is a "kid"?

face_master
05-16-2002, 04:57 AM
I'm 14 and i've drunken like heaps and not gotten drunk ...much...at a few parties with people who are older than me which i go to with a friend of mine who is my age, well, my friend didn't wanna drink and was tryin to stop me from repeatedy mixing orange juice and goon. Before that i was drinking pre-mixed vodka. And this mexican guy with mexican clothes kept giving me beers... Hey, once I went to a party on a Sunday night and had to go to school on the Monday and that day for school i wore my uniform instide out becuase I was still a bit tipsy ... what was I talking about again?

napkin111
05-16-2002, 12:15 PM
Well I say drinking (alcohol) is bad and should not be done at all...same for drugs, caffiene, and all other manner of unhealthy substances.

I'm addicted to PC games and thats enough for me.

napKIN

I don't mean to sound "holier-than-thou" or like your mother, they're just my opinions.

Betazep
05-16-2002, 02:21 PM
I went to the bar last night after my grad ceremony. I had three beers (microbrews) with my wife and some friends. I drank water for three hours, drove quite safely home, and had a wonderful evening with my wife. All in all, it was a good time... the beer tasted good with our food... and I regret none of it.

L@D is correct... moderation and responsibility are important aspects in all things. At 28 years old, I have had many hangovers in my life and done many risky things not involving drugs or alcohol. If you can abstain from dangerous situations... more power to you, but I will tell you what I look for in seasoned people... experience. I will not teach my children not to drink... but I will teach them to be careful, responsible, and respectful. I will not deny them the experience.

For everything good in life, there is an equally important bad aspect. Happiness is contrasted appropriately with sadness, bliss with pain, meloncholy with anger, etc. To deny any is to lead a sheltered life. I do not honor sheltered people........ and I never will.

incognito
05-16-2002, 02:45 PM
drinking responsibly is not a big deal to me, if you know your limits and drink responsibly and know what you're doing it's not THAT bad. I mean I much rather drink than do weed or anything like that even though some of my friends say weed is better than alcohol I will probably never agree with this.

incognito
05-16-2002, 02:46 PM
by better I mean less harmful to your body and less dangerous for you and others.

johnc
05-16-2002, 03:07 PM
:::re: How old is a kid:::::

anyone who drinks is still as immature as a kid!

-KEN-
05-16-2002, 03:56 PM
I'll probably drink no matter what y'all say...

incognito
05-16-2002, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by -KEN-
I'll probably drink no matter what y'all say...

LMAO beats doing weed to me, as long as we do it responsibly and not over do it, it should be ok, my new plan is to drink a little bit but not enough to get drunk.

Clyde
05-16-2002, 04:15 PM
"anyone who drinks is still as immature as a kid!"

You want to what i think? You are a fool.

I say **** it, life is about experiencing things, thats all you get to do, our 80 years or so of life is over in a flash, and thats it.

So do everything, try everything, of course know the risks, know the consequences for your actions, and decide what you want to do.

Everyone sets their own risks in life; you might tell me that you don't take any risks, but thats a complete lie, everytime you get into a car, you're taking a risk, everytime you walk in the street you're taking a risk. We each set how much risk we wish to undertake and for what purpose.

People go travelling in Africa and can wind up dying of tropical diseases, people get killed in car crashes.

You never know when you might get struck down. Life live while you can, thats whats i say.

Of course don't be stupid and damage anyone else.

johnc
05-16-2002, 04:54 PM
k, u can live your own life, and expreince anything you won't so long as it doesn t affect annyone else. alcohol does. u say drink responsibly, but if you drink a bit to much and you get drunk, then no matter how responsible you are sober, you could easily step into a car, and kill some kid. if you get drunk and you start taking things out on freinds/family, then you affect them, the only responsible drinking, is in a isolated, padlocked from the outside, rubber room. (like the ones in instatutes.)

doubleanti
05-16-2002, 04:58 PM
>you might tell me that you don't take any risks,

security is what we might seek. but just the same, life is fun and you can do whatever you like, go whereever you like, and you can really help others too... and don't ever decide you're over the hill either... whenever you feel your lifes a bore, just... hmm... join the military, they will use you as much as your abilities [and desires, if you place high enough...] are useful...

clyde, those opening sentences might have prompted me to wonder why you were so reckless... but after your summation [and reassurance] beware... reckless introduction is reckless nonetheless... be it insignficant... oh and by the, please refrain from the usage of asterisks in your post, my mod stick is by my side... :)

have a nice day! :)

Clyde
05-16-2002, 05:07 PM
", u can live your own life, and expreince anything you won't so long as it doesn t affect annyone else. alcohol does. u say drink responsibly, but if you drink a bit to much and you get drunk, then no matter how responsible you are sober, you could easily step into a car, and kill some kid"

Bollocks, doesn't matter how drunk I am, i'll NEVER EVER, drive when i'm over the limit.

"if you get drunk and you start taking things out on freinds/family, then you affect them, the only responsible drinking, is in a isolated, padlocked from the outside, rubber room. (like the ones in instatutes.)"

That depends on the person, IF they affect other people in a negative way then I agree, that's bad, they shouldn't drink if thats the case, but not everyone is like that.

Clyde
05-16-2002, 05:14 PM
"security is what we might seek. but just the same, life is fun and you can do whatever you like, go whereever you like, and you can really help others too... and don't ever decide you're over the hill either... whenever you feel your lifes a bore, just... hmm... join the military, they will use you as much as your abilities [and desires, if you place high enough...] are useful... "

Join the military!?

"clyde, those opening sentences might have prompted me to wonder why you were so reckless... but after your summation [and reassurance] beware... reckless introduction is reckless nonetheless... be it insignficant... oh and by the, please refrain from the usage of asterisks in your post, my mod stick is by my side... "

Sorry about the asterisks, (bleh down with censorship! :P), about reckless... reckless is in the eye the beholder, as I said everyone sets their own level of risk. One can minimise the risks at the expense of losing the experiences, likewise one can maximise the experiences at the cost of incredable risk. We all set are own levels somewhere inbetween:

If i want to become a grand prix racer, I know, i might end up like Senna, thats a risk I accept, when I parachute, I know there is a (extremely unlikely) risk that the chute won't open, or that i might somehow screw up, the same with bungee jumping, and the same with alchohol/any other drug.

johnc
05-16-2002, 05:15 PM
i understand your points but you said life is crap or the world is or whatever and you need to get away from it all and stuff....

that is a stupid excuse, yea this world does stink, and life also, but you have to choices in life:

1. you sit by and hate your life/ your world and try and get away and pretend your not apart of it.

2. or, you can live to make it a better world, so there is less misery, more fun, and generations after won't have to live there life the way some have had to.

doubleanti
05-16-2002, 05:41 PM
about that... some people think this world is very nice... of course it's what you make it... but how can you say that it sucks, compared to what world? if anything, this world is great... especially if you live in particular places where you have your freedoms...

>Join the military!?

is that sarcasm? if so, then i would like an explaination... i meant that seriously, and if you don't make your time in the military worth while and you don't build upon something, you cannot blame it... if that wasn't sarcasm, then... thank you...

and we aren't debating whether or not we know that we have the choice, or that we lie in between, that's established... what then, are we debating? where to stand, i presume?

the eye of the beholder is the world's excuse... let's not unseat responsibility... and lets not fight for our own interests so much either... seek to meet good people, and share your love and life and bond with those who will understand you after years and years... fortunately enough i've found one, no matter how far she goes... so... that helps so far as your purpose... if you don't do it for yourself, do it for someone else who you know wouldn't let you down...

johnc
05-16-2002, 05:53 PM
why, ok what has the army done. but kill. for corperate interest. i think we owe it to the world to live to make it better. how can you sit there in your cozy home, saying the world does not suck. when over the seas in china, and below the border in mexico, what america really represents (corperate interest) is shown brutaly in the sweat shops. life sucks for the people/familys enslaved by the companys that the army protects. this country no longer represents the citizents but the corperate interests. and i don't know why. America is the largest manufacturer and exporter of weapons. some of these companies have sold to the taliban, and iraq. we as the most richest, and strongest country should use the power to make peace not war. to demilitarize the world. hate doesnt' solve hate.t this world does suck i don't care what you say, as long as there is hate that strong that someone like nike can just go and pay people 50 cents aday, and sell to us. if huge companys can sit back sell guns to both the enemy and the allies and watch the violence. one of the world largest weapons co. is in america, it owns AOL/TIME/Warner, where you get most of your news. propagana to keep you quite.

Stand up and fight to make this world enjoyable for everyone :

a quote from an anti-flag song:
"They were arrested for there views, it was the protesters they screwed but still they had the nerve to ask who i was voting for, when you silence our youth you silence the trueth our right not to remain, silent."

&

"as the richest nation in the world we got a responsability...
veiques porterico , part home to the native familys the rest a navy bombing RANGE, and shells misfired kills civilians there...."

Clyde
05-16-2002, 05:58 PM
"i understand your points but you said life is crap or the world is or whatever and you need to get away from it all and stuff.... "

I don't think life is crap at all, i think life is wonderfull. I want to experience everything I can.

Clyde
05-16-2002, 06:05 PM
"is that sarcasm? if so, then i would like an explaination... i meant that seriously, and if you don't make your time in the military worth while and you don't build upon something, you cannot blame it... if that wasn't sarcasm, then... thank you... "

I'm afraid it was. Personally I don't really want the experience of learning how to kill people. That's one i can do without thanks.

"and we aren't debating whether or not we know that we have the choice, or that we lie in between, that's established... what then, are we debating? where to stand, i presume? "

I'm arguing that people have a right to choose where to stand and not be judged for it.

"the eye of the beholder is the world's excuse... let's not unseat responsibility... and lets not fight for our own interests so much either... seek to meet good people, and share your love and life and bond with those who will understand you after years and years... fortunately enough i've found one, no matter how far she goes... so... that helps so far as your purpose... if you don't do it for yourself, do it for someone else who you know wouldn't let you down..."

Eh? Excuse? So you think that "reckless" is objective!???

Responsibility? To whom? I'm not in favour of doing anything what-so-ever that harms anyone else.

Oh, and I was right, you're male :)