PDA

View Full Version : Do you support gay people



Pages : [1] 2

Golden Bunny
05-09-2002, 08:54 PM
Curiosity got the best of me.

jdinger
05-09-2002, 09:05 PM
All of them but one.


:eek:

Hillbillie
05-09-2002, 09:26 PM
Why would anyone not support another person choosing [or should I say not really choosing, but doing what they think is "right" for them] how they live their life?

I'm not gay, but I have no problem with gay people. In fact, more power to 'em! :)

What ........es me off is that stupid rule in the army where you can be gay but you can't be openly gay. Uh, ya think?! It sucks that us straight people can talk all we want about our straight lives and stuff in the army but gays can't...

jdinger
05-09-2002, 09:29 PM
Hillbillie, not sure if you were talking to me or GB, but just so you know my post was ( obviously ) in jest and meant for the original poster.

Sorry, I forgot the [ sarcasm ] tags! :D

And you're completely right about the military. I served 8 years in the Army and as any joe would tell you "gay" is the biggest curse word of them all in the military.

We had one Platoon Sergeant who used it as his trump card. If any of his guys screwed up and he was going to take the opportunity to belittle them in front of the Company ( as was his style ), he throw out the "flamer" card and wail away.

No one complained. The CO got a kick out of it. First Sergeant thought it was hillarious ( goes without saying morale wasn't exactly high ). It was really sad.

no-one
05-09-2002, 10:29 PM
>
What ........es me off is that stupid rule in the army where you can be gay but you can't be openly gay. Uh, ya think?! It sucks that us straight people can talk all we want about our straight lives and stuff in the army but gays can't...
<

how bout the rule where you insult a gay you get court marshalled?

how's that for fair?

tim545666
05-09-2002, 10:36 PM
Gay people are fine unless they hit on me. Their sexual preference is none of my business.

lightatdawn
05-09-2002, 10:54 PM
>>Do you support gay people

No more than I "support" heterosexual people. Theres no different IMO. I don't however, support "special" rules/laws for minority groups... Isnt that gay-bashing/racism/sexism in itself? If we're all the same, why does the law differentiate?

I get really POed on that subject so I'd better stop there.

nvoigt
05-09-2002, 11:26 PM
>Do you support gay people

If someone asks me for support, I will help him. It doesn't matter if he's gay or not. As I'm a lazy person, I won't support anyone just because I feel like it ;)

PsychoBrat
05-10-2002, 03:09 AM
lightatdawn i feel exactly the same way.

:P

just a survey that will probably get the hell flamed out of me for being politically incorrect or something... if gays could choose to be straight, would they? or would that be weird...

ok i'll go now, i'm confused :S

-out-
PsychoBrat



NOTE: just so you know i'm not anti-gay or anything...

Shiro
05-10-2002, 03:27 AM
>Do you support gay people

I do not explicitly support gay people, but if someone asks me if I want to help him/her, then I'll try to help if I can. In my opinion it is wrong not to help people because of their sexual preferences, religion etc.

>I don't however, support "special" rules/laws for minority
>groups...

I agree with this. Having law for certain groups means that those groups have a special place in the community, whatever the position of the law is, positive or negative. Laws should apply to all people.

Clyde
05-10-2002, 04:51 AM
" I don't however, support "special" rules/laws for minority groups... "

Surely a case could be made for laws that protected minority groups, no?

The great un-washed populace can be extremely racist/homophobic/*insert general iodiocy here*, hence i can kinda understand why some laws might be in place.

Having said that, i don't really know what laws you are speaking of so, i could be hideously wrong.

There are laws on the hand that many gay people want to get rid of: They still can't legally marry, and their age of concent is much higher, etc.

nvoigt
05-10-2002, 05:46 AM
>They still can't legally marry

The problem here is not that gays don't have the same rights, but that the state supports religious laws. Religion can claim marriage to be their pact between men and woman. Thats fine. Their rules. However, the state should not be involved with that. State should have it's own partnership laws.

Unregistered
05-10-2002, 06:33 AM
Exactly - religion has an influence on so many things that even me writing this post could be considered immoral, for attacking religion or whatever.

In fact, I just finished watching "The Man Who Sued God"... a very inspirational film :P

Surely people will have to realise sooner or later that if we wish to support multiple religions in this world, we must abolish their grip over our legal system - it has yet to be proven that any religion is correct.

-out-
PsychoBrat

:P mmm... the delicious controversy however the hell u spell that :P

DrakkenKorin
05-10-2002, 07:21 AM
question for GB before I actually give my opinion:
What do you mean by "support".

Do you mean if I am out at all the parades flying a PFLAG banner and such?

Do you mean would I help a person (who's gay) who was needing some help with a simple problem?

Also want to post some remarks to previous posts, but I need to get some more time so I can collect all my thoughts (as I am at work right now).

RobR
05-10-2002, 07:24 AM
For me, the question has as much relevance as "Do you support people born in August?"

Peoples sexuality has as much relevance to me as what toothpaste they use. I'll support anybody who I feel deserves my support.

Govtcheez
05-10-2002, 07:56 AM
Do I "support" gay people? Sure I do - I pay taxes - I'm sure there's gay people on welfare that I support.

What a stupid question.

jdinger
05-10-2002, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by DrakkenKorin
question for GB before I actually give my opinion:
What do you mean by "support".

Trying to debate with GB using logic will lead to a miserable experience. What he is getting at (based on his other post in the GD forum) is that he hates all gay people even though he has never had a girlfriend and it's all because he's really ugly and he had bad parents (I'm not making this up either, that's what he said in his other post).

stevey
05-10-2002, 09:54 AM
:D

i 6think phychologists/ shrinks have a lot to answer for. they always say "its all you're parents fault ". i don't believe it, altho they obviously have an impact.
and speaking as a relatively ugly bloke, i can say that women in general are not nearly as hung up on looks as men are.....luckily for me.....

and GD is what ?? 12 ????? who has had a girlfriend at 12 ???

not me, friends who were girls yes, girlfriend no...

Hillbillie
05-10-2002, 10:48 AM
I've seen a lot of good points here (about not catering to minorities and such, I agree with this). Just for the record, when I said I support gay people, I meant I support them morally and such. (i.e. "They have my support.")

Golden Bunny
05-10-2002, 11:20 AM
I was gonna respond but a mod and jdinger bashed me.

jdinger
05-10-2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Golden Bunny
I was gonna respond but a mod and jdinger bashed me.

Bashed you? Excuse me, but I simply repeated what you wrote in another post.

Golden Bunny
05-10-2002, 11:28 AM
Was it necessary to repeat what I said? Show some sympathy. You obvious don't give a rat's ass how I feel huh?

If you had low self-esteem and thought about suicide and repeated what you said on a AIM conversation. Would you like that?

jdinger
05-10-2002, 11:35 AM
What are you talking about? Remember when you faked your suicide note here because you and Aran had a little tiff? Who was the first person to respond to you. Who downloaded AIM just so they could spend half the night trying to talk you out of suicide only to find out later that it was all a big sympathy ploy? Who offered to personally teach you Win32 and DirectX through email/aim/pm or whatever method you preferred only to have you say it wasn't worth it because it was all too hard anyway?

Me. That's who. I stayed up half the night trying to cheer you up and keep you from killing yourself. Was it more important for me to get some sleep for work the next day? No. I didn't even know who you were but I still put the value of your life above anything in my own. All I cared about that night was making sure someone who's first name I didn't even know didn't hurt themselves. Don't give me crap about not caring about someone. Then later I find out you just like playing people's sympathy to make yourself fell good. So don't tell me about people not caring about you. That's a bunch of crap.

Golden Bunny
05-10-2002, 11:38 AM
oh......it was you.......I forgot your screen name. If I knew you were the guy I wouldn't be feeding you false ****. Ok, instant message me.

DrakkenKorin
05-10-2002, 11:39 AM
This is getting really ugly (no pun intended), really fast.

And I love it!! :D

Seems to me that GB has a lot of personal issues to resolve, especially after reading jdinger's post!

Just had a thought, GD reminds me of someone else on these boards. Someone who shoes up, creates problems and then goes away, only to come back.

Anyone care to venture a guess as to who I speak of?

Golden Bunny
05-10-2002, 11:46 AM
Don't know

DrakkenKorin
05-10-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by jdinger
Trying to debate with GB using logic will lead to a miserable experience. What he is getting at (based on his other post in the GD forum) is that he hates all gay people even though he has never had a girlfriend and it's all because he's really ugly and he had bad parents (I'm not making this up either, that's what he said in his other post).

Well if he hates all gay people he's gonna have some problems with me!

Now does he hate us gay people becuase he is ugly, has bad parents and no girlfriend? I don't see how it's our fault all of these things happened to him.

Also is the aforementioned reasons the same reason as to why he is depressed and has a low self-esteem/self-image? These people really get on my nerves! As if they are the only ones who have had a bad life. Get a grip!

These are MY opinions on depression:


Depression is nothing more than anger without enthusiasm.

RobR
05-10-2002, 11:54 AM
LOL at DK!!!

.....but can I just point out that the kid is just 12. I know he's not helping himself, but I can remember being 12 (just).

Everything that happens is a major heartbreaking tragedy. It's not till you grow up (30+??) that you realise that life's actually pretty good fun if you let it be.

Cut the kid a little slack.

GSLR
05-10-2002, 12:02 PM
NOOO!



As homophobic as im supposed to be.

Golden Bunny
05-10-2002, 12:11 PM
Rob, you're talking about me? I'm not 12, god I hate people who make so much assumption. I'm not going to say anymore, it'll be a waste of time. You keep assuming things. I'm not 12.

stevey
05-10-2002, 12:11 PM
personally i wish there were more gay men !! so thereby getting rid of more of the competition. especially i wish it were true that all good looking guys were gay !! :)


how many men are actually gay ??? just wondering......
ive been reading a book "why men don't iron" which reckons 1 in 13 are gay. surely this isn't true. i don't know any...well mebe one. still ive worked in the steel industry, not the entertainment industry !!! :)


ps Draken, your GAYDAR doesn't work !!!! i saw it on telly so it must be true !!! a scientific experiment.....:)

kermi3
05-10-2002, 12:14 PM
NOTE FROM MODERATOR:

This thread has stayed open because it has not sunk to flaming one person or one group. If you have a private grudge use Private messages, if this thread contiues down the line of nothing but insults back and forth it will be closed.

stevey
05-10-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Golden Bunny
Rob, you're talking about me? I'm not 12, god I hate people who make so much assumption. I'm not going to say anymore, it'll be a waste of time. You keep assuming things. I'm not 12.

oh yeah, how silly......you're 13 :)
that makes a whole lot of difference !!!

Golden Bunny
05-10-2002, 12:29 PM
.......you're an idiot man, I hope that sentence was a brief showcase of your overall sarcasm level.

kermi3
05-10-2002, 12:34 PM
Final warning...Flaming = Closed or Deleted Threads.

DrakkenKorin
05-10-2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by stevey
...ps Draken, your GAYDAR doesn't work !!!! i saw it on telly so it must be true !!! a scientific experiment.....:)

You know stevey, I don't think my gaydar EVER worked.

:D

Clyde
05-10-2002, 12:55 PM
"Depression is nothing more than anger without enthusiasm"

err... no offense drakken but that is utter nonsense.

lightatdawn
05-10-2002, 12:59 PM
>>The great un-washed populace can be extremely racist/homophobic/*insert general iodiocy here*, hence i can kinda understand why some laws might be in place.

I can understand the logic behind them, I just think that as long as we have laws differentiating between race/sexual-preferance/religious belief, we're going to have racism/sexism/etc. I dont see a difference, so why are all these "minority" groups all pushing for laws that are just making them more segregated?

DrakkenKorin
05-10-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Clyde
"Depression is nothing more than anger without enthusiasm"

err... no offense drakken but that is utter nonsense.
None taken Clyde. As I had stated, that is my view on things, and I don't expect everyone to see it my way or to accept my views, I was just expressing my view.

Aran
05-10-2002, 01:41 PM
GBonny loves calling people ***gots and gays... he acts like it's calling us an explitive. It is just a showcase of his ignorance for the most part. Some people need to grow up.

In other news, it doesn't matter how old you are, GB, you still act like a 12 year old. Your age holds no water here as far as maturity. Before i told people my age, they thought of me as in my early twenties.

-KEN-
05-10-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by lightatdawn
>>Do you support gay people

No more than I "support" heterosexual people. Theres no different IMO. I don't however, support "special" rules/laws for minority groups... Isnt that gay-bashing/racism/sexism in itself? If we're all the same, why does the law differentiate?

I get really POed on that subject so I'd better stop there.

You sure you didn't reach into my brain and steal this entire thought from me? It was pretty much exactly what I was going to write :)

incognito
05-10-2002, 01:51 PM
Well, first let me say this, am I homophobic? Well probably some what, I guess most of us have some homophobic in us, (unless you're gay) I mean, I have no problems with gays, I would help them in something, if the need aroused (wait no no pun intended) :D, I know gay people got no problem with it. But I would not feel right if a gay dude hit on me, no buddy, I would not be flattered or anything like that. I have no problems with it, it's their choice and they can do with their lives as they please. However I don't agree with it. This Lesbian in school said to me "I heard you're homophobic" I told her that I wasn't, I mean I am ok with it I can talk to any gay person, help them or whatnot, but I DON'T AGREE WITH IT. It's against my religion (please don't start another religion battle thread). We are having some issues here in South Florida about gays adopting, and I just don't agree with it, I mean if you're gay go ahead, but don't ADOPT A KID AND TRY TO RAISE IT WITH YOUR HOMOSEXUAL PARTNER. Imagine the trauma of this kid in school, "hey how come you got two daddies/mommies?" A kid needs both the affection of a mother and the stronghand of a father, this is not always the case, and I myself being as my folks split up when I was about 6 I didn't have them both, and trust me it's tough. You always have that empty spot in your heart, but that's life. I don't believe that a kid would be best raised by a gay couple. I am not saying that they are not great parents, actually they could be better than some of the typical heterosexual couples, but it's against my religion and I don't agree with it. NOW LET THE FLAMING BEGIN :D J/K

And GD buddy you seem to have a personality clash with a lot of people maybe it's time you rework your people skills don't ya think?

-KEN-
05-10-2002, 01:56 PM
>>who has had a girlfriend at 12 ???

I had a girlfriend much earlier than that...but it was all kid's stuff. I think we kissed once...maybe. Then I had another in like 4th gade...I think I made out with her once too. girlfriends that early one aren't worth it.

I mean, until you're about 14 or 15 a girl won't do enough....so what's the point in a girlfriend back then? Answer? None.

-KEN-
05-10-2002, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by elchulo2002
Well, first let me say this, am I homophobic? Well probably some what, I guess most of us have some homophobic in us, (unless you're gay) I mean, I have no problems with gays, I would help them in something, if the need aroused (wait no no pun intended) :D, I know gay people got no problem with it. But I would not feel right if a gay dude hit on me, no buddy, I would not be flattered or anything like that. I have no problems with it, it's their choice and they can do with their lives as they please. However I don't agree with it. This Lesbian in school said to me "I heard you're homophobic" I told her that I wasn't, I mean I am ok with it I can talk to any gay person, help them or whatnot, but I DON'T AGREE WITH IT. It's against my religion (please don't start another religion battle thread). We are having some issues here in South Florida about gays adopting, and I just don't agree with it, I mean if you're gay go ahead, but don't ADOPT A KID AND TRY TO RAISE IT WITH YOUR HOMOSEXUAL PARTNER. Imagine the trauma of this kid in school, "hey how come you got two daddies/mommies?" A kid needs both the affection of a mother and the stronghand of a father, this is not always the case, and I myself being as my folks split up when I was about 6 I didn't have them both, and trust me it's tough. You always have that empty spot in your heart, but that's life. I don't believe that a kid would be best raised by a gay couple. I am not saying that they are not great parents, actually they could be better than some of the typical heterosexual couples, but it's against my religion and I don't agree with it. NOW LET THE FLAMING BEGIN :D J/K

And GD buddy you seem to have a personality clash with a lot of people maybe it's time you think your people skills don't ya think?

Yeah...gay adoption would certainly screw a kid up...but once he hits highschool kids won't bother him about it, at least to his face. I dunno, I'm split up on that issue. The only person I'd never let adopt would be Rosie Odonell...even if she was straight I wouldn't put a kid through that kinda torture :D

Aran
05-10-2002, 02:04 PM
Ken- I had a girlfriend when i was in 2nd-4th grade..it was weird.

These days she's a real jerk and acts like it was a serious relationship... i just say we were friends back then. There was some weird stuff going on.

Anyhow, I think that GB gets offended by anything that has even the slightest hint at insulting him be it advice or whatnot. It's like he's been oversensitized... it's probably because his ego is so big that anything close to a shot at him he thinks is challenging his false ideas of supremacy. He needs to grow up and learn to 'respect his direct superior's. I can't deal with someone like him for the most part because i'm known to just say something blunt and to the point... things like that may be percieved as offensive if construed wrong.

jdinger
05-10-2002, 02:10 PM
>>who has had a girlfriend at 12 ???

Actually my wife and I started dating when we were 13. We got married not long after we graduated high school. Counting dating and marriage we've been together for over 14 years ( happily, I might add ).

>>The only person I'd never let adopt would be Rosie Odonell...even if she was straight I wouldn't put a kid through that kinda torture

Amen to that, Brother!

Clyde
05-10-2002, 02:48 PM
"but don't ADOPT A KID AND TRY TO RAISE IT WITH YOUR HOMOSEXUAL PARTNER. Imagine the trauma of this kid in school, "hey how come you got two daddies/mommies?" A kid needs both the affection of a mother and the stronghand of a father"

I don't buy it, who's to say that a gay couple would make any worse parents than a straight couple?

So the kid would grow up thinking there was nothing wrong with gay couples........God forbid.......

Clyde
05-10-2002, 02:49 PM
"None taken Clyde. As I had stated, that is my view on things, and I don't expect everyone to see it my way or to accept my views, I was just expressing my view."

Fair enough, it's just that your view kinda disagrees with huge amounts of medical science.

seditee
05-10-2002, 02:50 PM
do i have to?

Clyde
05-10-2002, 02:55 PM
"I just think that as long as we have laws differentiating between race/sexual-preferance/religious belief, we're going to have racism/sexism/etc. I dont see a difference, so why are all these "minority" groups all pushing for laws that are just making them more segregated?"

I think that a lot depends on the situation, if a society has no racism/sexism/etc. then creating laws that differentiate will certainly cause some, on the other hand if a society has lots of racism/homophobia/blah then laws might offer some protection for minorites from an ignorant public.

Having said that, i'm pretty ignorant on the subject to be honest could ya give me some examples of laws already in effect and laws that minority groups are pushing for?