PDA

View Full Version : The Best OS

dayknight
05-08-2002, 07:22 PM
lets see wat u have to say!

Aran
05-08-2002, 07:29 PM
I don't like this thread because each OS is best for a different situation. It's hard to say which OS is best overall because this is out of context.

I can't personally vote because i haven't used all of them, so therefore i have no justification in voting.

kwigibo
05-08-2002, 07:37 PM
What about Red Hat or Windows NT4 they are both excellent (yes NT4, probably windows best achievement as far as stability). WinXP is also sort of stable but it is too power hungry.

Whoever votes for WinME needs to be beaten with a stupid stick, it is the WORST OS I have ever seen. I think it has crashed more times than all the other OS's added together.

That is all I have to say for now

kwigibo

sean
05-08-2002, 07:37 PM
I'm a mainframe console man myself - but I'm looking at doing some serious partitioning, etc... and get Mandrake Linux or something. Any suggestions?

ygfperson
05-08-2002, 07:41 PM
what? no beos? hillbillie's gonna throw a shoe

Hillbillie
05-08-2002, 08:34 PM
>what? no beos? hillbillie's gonna throw a shoe<

You're damn right! *throws shoe* Where's the BeOS option, huh? :D

incognito
05-08-2002, 08:53 PM
I'd really like to know who chose ME.

Prelude
05-08-2002, 09:47 PM
Um...where's Debian?

-Prelude

Sunny
05-08-2002, 09:47 PM
I'm a little curious about something? Why is it that so many ppl voted for Win ME over Win98? I didn't see any Major differences between the two GUIs? Maybe it's because more people are USING windows ME over Win98, but don't actually care about the differences.
Another thing, including BeOS would have been a nice idea. Nifer mind. And you should have made it moew generalized ( Like: Linux, Windows, Mac, Unix, Solaris etc ). You put like 5 types of Windows there (no offense) and like two types of Linux. It's like a rigged pole sort of. :confused:
Would've been nice if told us what kind of context things where going to be placed in :) Like referring to certain concepts like stability or internet traffic or anything. But otherwise, the argument could go on forever....:rolleyes:

Take care folks, 'n keep posting.

Unregistered
05-08-2002, 09:48 PM
slackware 8.0! :P soon to be 8.1 w00t!

Shadow
05-08-2002, 11:50 PM
DOS 6.22. To think, I still have the whole 3 disks it came on too...

Shiro
05-09-2002, 03:37 AM
I don't know if there's such as a best OS. Isn't the option "Other" missing? Or did you mean which is the best of these PC OS'es?

jdinger
05-09-2002, 07:21 AM
Dang, Shadow! You beat me to it! I was going to say DOS 6.22! :D

napkin111
05-09-2002, 07:26 AM
All I use is Win98 and it gets the job done for anything I've ever wanted to do. I've been thinking of switching to WinXP, but I don't know if I feel like spending all that money for another Win98.

And whoever chose WinME should be flogged...

napKIN

lightatdawn
05-09-2002, 01:39 PM
Isnt this like those "Which is the best compiler?" threads... I didnt chose anything; There is no best OS.

>>And whoever chose WinME should be flogged...

Then tarred and feathered. MS out did themselves with that one. Some of the default apps crash that thing. I cant imagine trying to develop on it...

Liam Battle
05-09-2002, 06:12 PM
hard one to say, I have Suse 7.3 with KDE 2.2.2 on one partition and Windows XP on the other... i program on both platforms as well as in AIX Unix, but i would have to vote Windows XP.

Ive always been a windows man myself...

dayknight
05-09-2002, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by kwigibo
[B]What about Red Hat or Windows NT4 they are both excellent (yes NT4, probably windows best achievement as far as stability).

man either u have had a bad dream or maybe u just dont know wat ur talking bout. WINNT is the most ustable OS ever build.
so dont ever talk about WinNT, cuz it stinks, crashes every 30 secs later.

while Red HaT, is not as good as Open Linux and Mandrake

kwigibo
05-09-2002, 08:59 PM
I beg to differ, WinME is the most unstable operating system. And I would like to see what the rest of the board thinks as far as WinNT4 goes. I like it, have had a good experience with it, maybe you just can't use computers well enough to set it up properly.

Yoshi
05-09-2002, 10:42 PM
I choose Mandrake 8.2... but it is not on the list.

tim545666
05-09-2002, 10:45 PM
Not as a compliment to ME, but I'm having as much/more problems with XP Home. I really need to get a copy of windows 2000. I had a pirated version for a while, but I decided to get a legal OS, so I got ripped off with XP.

>>And whoever chose WinME should be flogged...

Then tarred and feathered.
And then have their nutts chopped off. Then their ankles should be repeatedly hit with sledgehammers.

And dayknight, you are aa complete moron. Someone should ban your IP from this board.

RobR
05-10-2002, 03:49 AM
Windows 1.0 (came as a runtime with Aldus [as was] Pagemaker). Spot the difference between that and a Mac!!

napkin111
05-10-2002, 06:59 AM
Hmmm....That WinMe chooser must be in pain right now...

napKIN

RobR
05-10-2002, 07:05 AM
man either u have had a bad dream or maybe u just dont know wat ur talking bout. WINNT is the most ustable OS ever build.

That's odd. My work machine is permanently on 24x7 except for the odd downtime for backups etc. It's crashed twice. Both times on boot 'cos the parallel connector had worked it's way 1/2 loose. I must tell it that it's doing it wrong, and should be crashing more often.

How many cash dispensers (24x7 again) do you know that run Linux??

dayknight
05-10-2002, 02:38 PM
hmm No vote for Caldera.
i know caldera is a very powerful open source OS, it is mainly used for development and acts as a server.
its ez to use gui is also appealing.

by lookink @ the votes so far i guess nobody knows bout Caldera

Barjor
05-10-2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by dayknight

so dont ever talk about WinNT, cuz it stinks, crashes every 30 secs later.

while Red HaT, is not as good as Open Linux and Mandrake

I beg to differ. Every one at my work runing NT4 and are very happy with the stability,and we are runing highend cad/cam/Database apps. Our servers are NT4 and they have never been down except for upgrades. I think NT4 is MS biggest achivment next to DOS6.22.

pr0ficient
05-10-2002, 06:10 PM
You should have put a general 'Linux' selection to vote for. Mandrake and Caldera are not Linux's STRONG distro's. Also, wtf isn't BSD up there?

face_master
05-11-2002, 03:38 AM
After that WindowsME person has their nuts chopped off, etc, they should be killed by an onslaught of WinME Cd's shot straight from WinMe's origin: Bill's ass! Oh, then ofcourse, they should have a shoe thrown at them by Hillbillie :D

kwigibo
05-11-2002, 06:10 AM
Some fine examples, to backup my opinion that NT4 is a fine Operating System.

Next time you plan to have a go at me dayknight, make sure you are right. Im willing to admit if Im wrong, but this time Im not wrong.

kwigibo

compjinx
05-11-2002, 12:20 PM
DOS...

Da-Spit
05-11-2002, 05:05 PM
Daynight, will you stop starting these stupid threads?!? Like your 'The BEST Thread ever!' and that hacking one.

dayknight
05-11-2002, 05:35 PM
Da-spit, if u dont like my threads then dont reply in my threads

and all of my threads so far have been about educating myself and others

Da-Spit
05-11-2002, 08:26 PM
Hmm, yes... You've learnt how to ask stupid questions... Filled the boards with pointless threads like, 'The best processor???', 'The BEST thread ever!' and 'Best OS?'. What do you feel you have accomplished? Did you learn any new 'goodies'? like how to shutdown? Or hide your programs from the Task Window? Just so you can 'attempt' to create some lame program.

heat511
05-13-2002, 08:41 AM
you claim these are educational, but so far all i've learned is that there are many more OS's out there than i thought...

JTtheCPPgod
05-13-2002, 08:45 AM
::does cabbage patch::
Go mac, go mac, go mac!
:D :D