PDA

View Full Version : A program thread...

Sebastiani
05-03-2002, 09:59 PM
Hey guys. Why don't we start and maintain a thread free apps we have created? It would be a cool way to help us all stay productive, and it would give others a chance to critique our work.

( With, of course, the moderators permission. <Ahem>)

Whatdya think? Sound like fun?

no-one
05-04-2002, 12:38 AM
this could be something good, could be something bad... i don't know. lets see what the Webmasta has ta say... and then again thats what the programmer prognography board was for was it not?

Sebastiani
05-04-2002, 01:53 AM
... and then again thats what the programmer prognography board was for was it not?

prognography? Is that a real word?

Sebastiani
05-04-2002, 08:48 AM
I'm so glad this has been such a popular thread :mad:

ygfperson
05-04-2002, 09:39 AM
here's the text compressor i wrote:
huffman compression (http://www.flashdaddeesfreehold.com/forums/huff-com.zip)

Magos
05-04-2002, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by no-one and then again thats what the programmer prognography board was for was it not? [/B]
But that board died really quick...

Sebastiani
05-04-2002, 10:40 AM
Cool ygfperson, I'll download it when I get home. BTW: What does it do? Does it compress files from the command line?

C_Coder
05-04-2002, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Magos

But that board died really quick...
Did it...;)

Sebastiani
05-04-2002, 02:19 PM
Was it on this board, or was it another?

Anyway, still haven't heard from the mod- guess it's ok then;)

lightatdawn
05-04-2002, 02:30 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me.

Go ahead and compile a list of stuff. Get a few applications and I'll take them all in a single thread and sticky it... For a while at least. We'll see where it goes from there.

P.S. You might want to poll the Games Board for games people have created that they want on the list as well. (?)

Feel free to PM me.

C_Coder
05-04-2002, 02:33 PM
Instead of complete programs, which would be a massive thread. It might be a good idea to put together a thread of useful routines such as sorts or searches, things like that???

lightatdawn
05-04-2002, 02:43 PM
>>It might be a good idea to put together a thread of useful routines

Whatever you want. Just post links, dont try to upload all this stuff... Not sure the webmaster would enjoy that. :)

I could divide it into three lists:

Games
Applications
Misc Routines

Anyhow, sort it out and let me know what you come up with.

Sebastiani
05-04-2002, 03:03 PM
Whatever you want. Just post links, dont try to upload all this stuff... Not sure the webmaster would enjoy that.

Well, considering that most apps are going to be console, they probably won't run more than a few Kilo's....anyway, how does PM'ing work?

lightatdawn
05-04-2002, 03:28 PM
>>anyway, how does PM'ing work?

See the PM i sent you. ;)

ygfperson
05-04-2002, 04:03 PM
unzip the huff-com.zip file into one directory
compile huff-enc.cpp and huff-dec.cpp
huff-enc takes standard input and compresses it:

huff-enc < somefile.txt

or

huff-enc (enter)
blah blah blah (enter)
blah bl(eof char, like ctrl-d)

the encoded file is outputted to out.ygc, and the lookup table goes to out.ygt.
huff-dec takes out.ygc and out.ygt and outputs out.ygf, the decompressed file.

note: if a file is compressed, then decompressed, it is not a 1:1 copy. sometime in the future when i get bored again i'm going to work on that.
this should but doesn't work for binary files. i doubt the space savings would make the compression feasible, anyway.

in short: use only on text files, and don't rely on it for anything.
note: those of you who want the win32 binary to it, should look in the flashdaddee off topic forum, or its c/c++ forum

Sebastiani
05-05-2002, 01:53 AM
ygfperson: I just downloaded and ran the program but I think I am using it wrong - what is the usage again? You can PM me if you get the urge...

well here's a program only a coder could love: one that removes comments from source files! Y'know - you downloaded some sourcecode - only to find that not only did the author throw in syntax errors and other obstacles, but he also mined it with about a hundred multiline comments - which, of course make adding your own multiline comments around his impossible...

Description: Removes single-line and multiline comments from sourcecode by creating de-commented copies of the original (preserves the original though)

Usage: Utilizes the drag and drop feature of Windows to process as many files as desired. Can also be run from the command-line in full DOS mode.

Features:

- Windows (PC) compatible

- User can opt to create the copies in the programs running directory or in the home directory of the originating file(s).

- Resolves filename conflicts at run-time with an incremental naming system.

- The de-commented copies are named as the original but with a leading "_".

- Easy to use.

- Thoroughly tested and totally accurate.

Drawbacks:

- Compiled for Windows-based machines only at the time.

- Does not process folders and subfolders just yet

- Single-purpose utility

Believe it or not, I use it quite frequently. One useful application is to go to the Windows Start Menu, Select "Find Files...", and type in the 'named' box: " *.c", "*.cpp", or "*.h"
After it has found all of the files of that type in the hard drive, simply drag them ALL onto the program, selecting the "create in the home directory" option at the prompt. That way, the copies appear in each of the original's directory, making it easy to find the copies you've made.

Check it out! :)

ygfperson
05-05-2002, 04:11 PM
a little update:
this version allows compression of binary files fairly accurately, give or take a byte at the end. minor bugs with text files also fixed.

be warned, though, it's still slow as hell compared to winzip, bzip2, gzip, etc...

Sebastiani
05-05-2002, 04:41 PM
Hmmm...ok, I think I found the problem: me! I don't know how to run from the command line! I am so used to the Windows drag and drop feature that I am totally useless in DOS! But I will work on that and let you know....

Sebastiani
05-06-2002, 10:19 PM
C'mon now, I know you got something out there! Hundreds of members and only 2 entries??