PDA

View Full Version : Organ Donors

stevey
04-18-2002, 03:30 PM
Can everybody please think about carrying an organ donor card, so that somebody may benefit from your death, should the unfortunate happen.
Discuss with your parents and/or relatives and get a card and/or register your availabitity with your relevant Heath Authorities.

There is a chronic shortage of organs in some countries, especially the USA and Britain, and especially kidneys.

I myself have been a kidney donor to my brother, live donors would not be necessary if more people carried donor cards etc
Those without a family donor are consigned to a long lingering death on Kidney Dialysis......

Let somebody live after your death...at least think about it.....don't be tight !!.....what does it matter if you're dead ??? you're only worm food.......

To those with religous objections......how mean is your God that He would punish those who give the gift of life to another, when their life is over ???????

Hillbillie
04-18-2002, 05:21 PM
I would have been an organ donor when I got my driver's license, but it was early in the morning, at the DMV, and the woman caught me off guard when she asked, "Organ donor?" I didn't really understand what she was referring to at first and so I quickly thought about it and said no. A matter of moments later I regained my comprehension and well....I wish I would've said yes. Next time I will. :)

lightatdawn
04-18-2002, 06:41 PM
Heartily seconded.

DrakkenKorin
04-18-2002, 08:30 PM
As a former (provisionally licenced) Funeral Director/Embalmer, I can tell you with 100% accuracy, you and your family will be cussed at while laying on the slab!

I hated working on donors. Now don't take this the wrong way, the actual 'gift' is very nice, but then we have to deal with the aftermath. When you are being procured, the Drs don't have much time, so they do a rather hasty job, and well you're dead anyway, so they don't have to worry about malpractice. Then they do a half-assed job of stitching you back up and leave in some needles for the hell of it, so I can find them will digging up your visera and almost cut myself.

And if you're a bone donor too - may the Goddess help you b/c I really let you have it. Most people don't know how we (as embalmers) have to be creative to make you look complete.

So as a human, I would say - Sign that Donor Card.

As an (Ex-) Embalmer, I would say - Are you nuts?

Commander
04-18-2002, 08:34 PM
I want to donate my organs, and I did say yes to that question when I went to get my health card....but the guy said that I was too young to fill that out or something. I didn't get exactly what he said, but all i knew was that I couldn't donate anything because of my age... :(

Nick
04-18-2002, 08:41 PM
As a former (provisionally licenced) Funeral Director/Embalmer, I can tell you with 100% accuracy, you and your family will be cussed at while laying on the slab!

And I thought my job was hard...

doubleanti
04-18-2002, 11:18 PM
oh my...

hmm that makes me not want to, i mean i guess we can agree that y'know, _you_ are independant of your body, your shell... but what if you aren't? and what if during the, y'know, aftermath... there are effects if your body is tampered with?... hmm... my...

blight2c
04-18-2002, 11:26 PM
A while ago, I made a well thought decision to not donate my organs in case of death for two reasons: 1) the lack of cognitive control over my own body (parts), and 2) to lessen any burden my family may have because of my death.

It's my own assumption that my body is wholly and unequivocally mine and God's. It's also my own assumption that, while alive, my will is also at my sole disposal, meaning I use my judgement to act as I see fit (to the case at hand we can say: I help those who deserve my help). Dead, I lack this judgement and therefore abstain on philosophic grounds. (To obviate any trite responses, I'll add this: mine is an ontological decision and not based on any grasping avarice).

Secondly, immediately after my death my family will have more pressing concerns than chasing my body around town and signing papers. They are everything to me (as Iím sure steveyís brother is to him) and anything I can do to help them after Iím gone Iíll do.

Iím sure the world would be a better place if more people donated organs, but donít presume to think you hold both sides of the same coin just because you're on the side of the victim. What would our world be like if everyone went around making shortsighted decisions and half-witted plans? Mortgaging a future they canít see?

Nutshell
04-19-2002, 04:31 AM
Question: IF you really donated your organ after you die, will u still get buried?

DrakkenKorin
04-19-2002, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Nutshell
Question: IF you really donated your organ after you die, will u still get buried?
No. You're kept in a meat locker and then sold to the stockyard.
:D

I'm just kidding.

If you're a donor, you still get treated the same way (except for all the cussing in the prep room) as any other dead person, including your disposition. Also, embalming takes a whole hell of a lot longer than it usually does, whcih usually makes for grumpy chemical pushers (embalmers).

stevey
04-19-2002, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by DrakkenKorin

I hated working on donors. Now don't take this the wrong way, the actual 'gift' is very nice, but then we have to deal with the aftermath. When you are being procured, the Drs don't have much time, so they do a rather hasty job, and well you're dead anyway, so they don't have to worry about malpractice. Then they do a half-assed job of stitching you back up and leave in some needles for the hell of it, so I can find them will digging up your visera and almost cut myself.

And if you're a bone donor too - may the Goddess help you b/c I really let you have it. Most people don't know how we (as embalmers) have to be creative to make you look complete.

So as a human, I would say - Sign that Donor Card.

As an (Ex-) Embalmer, I would say - Are you nuts?

ewwwwwwwwwww !!!! man, programming isn't such a bad job after all !!!
hey..don't put people off being a donor !!

stevey
04-19-2002, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by doubleanti
oh my...

hmm that makes me not want to, i mean i guess we can agree that y'know, _you_ are independant of your body, your shell... but what if you aren't? and what if during the, y'know, aftermath... there are effects if your body is tampered with?... hmm... my...

oh give over......what if you had your leg chopped off in an accident ??? you haven't lost a part of yourself (well, apart from a leg !)
what if you were in a massive explosion or air crash, and your entire body was atomised ?? you'll still go to heaven, even if theres nothing left of your body. (not that i believe in heaven etc)

Sekti
04-19-2002, 07:36 PM
I'm an organ donor but no body gets my heart some condition i have oh well hopefully heart donors arent in dire need

Cosmic Diva
04-19-2002, 08:48 PM
What would our world be like if everyone went around making shortsighted decisions and half-witted plans?

Many people do this already, so the world would be the same as it is now.

DrakkenKorin
04-19-2002, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by stevey
ewwwwwwwwwww !!!! man, programming isn't such a bad job after all !!!
hey..don't put people off being a donor !!
I enjoyed embalming more. It's also less stressfull, dead people hardley ever complain! :p

Xterria
04-19-2002, 10:13 PM
aww man you gotta have bad black and white flashbacks or somthing when you go to sleep

DrakkenKorin
04-19-2002, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Xterria
aww man you gotta have bad black and white flashbacks or somthing when you go to sleep
Como say what?

stevey
04-20-2002, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by DrakkenKorin

I enjoyed embalming more. It's also less stressfull, dead people hardley ever complain! :p

:) i bet you guys had some good lines in "gallows humour"!!!

did u get corpses farting and sitting up etc !!
my dad had to do one of the yukkiest things ive heard !!
he worked at a coal mine, one day some guy commited suicide by jumping down the pit shaft !!
no volunteers, so my dad and some other guy had to go down and collect his remains (its a half mile down)
the stench was appalling apparently !! the largest piece was half his head !! the other guy picked it up and was going.....
"alas poor yorick " etc !!!!!
yuk

Golden Bunny
04-20-2002, 10:06 AM
chill out Steven, I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about the aetheist Aran

-KEN-
04-20-2002, 10:17 AM
Eh, I don't get my license for ::checks calendar:: 4 months, 3 days, 3 hours, 27 minutes, and 10 seconds...;)

Well, 4 months at least, not sure about the rest. Anyhow, I don't know if I'd want to be an organ donor...but it's not like when you get your license it's the only time you can opt to be one, I'm sure you could remedy your "no" somehow (directed at hillbillie)

stevey
04-20-2002, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Golden Bunny
chill out Steven, I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about the aetheist Aran

eh?? oh i think you posted on the wrong thread !!!
i'm an atheist too !!!!!!

stevey
04-20-2002, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by -KEN-
Eh, I don't get my license for ::checks calendar:: 4 months, 3 days, 3 hours, 27 minutes, and 10 seconds...;)

Well, 4 months at least, not sure about the rest. Anyhow, I don't know if I'd want to be an organ donor...but it's not like when you get your license it's the only time you can opt to be one, I'm sure you could remedy your "no" somehow (directed at hillbillie)

i didn't have a donor card etc either !!!!! until i was personally involved i didn't think about it much....we all tend to be disinterested/selfish/squeamish.....i was no exception

but i know better now..
and anyway, ive got a 10" scar now, which is a REAL CHICK-PULLER !!!
especially when i say it was a shark bite !!
:)

ihsir
04-20-2002, 10:46 AM
>>especially when i say it was a shark bite !!

But you are in UK, maybe a fox bite while fox hunting will sound a little nearer to home :D

hey, wheres your get well Beckam's footsie sig

stevey
04-20-2002, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by ihsir
>>especially when i say it was a shark bite !!

But you are in UK, maybe a fox bite while fox hunting will sound a little nearer to home :D

hey, wheres your get well Beckam's footsie sig

:D yeah not many sharks round here !! i must have been on holiday diving in Barbados !! off my 100ft yaught!!

Well i was so embarrassed that i'd spelt Beckham wrong, that i just had to wipe it !!!!!!

-KEN-
04-20-2002, 11:10 AM
>>and anyway, ive got a 10" scar now

Huh? What's that from? I didn't think they took the organs from you til you were dead! :p

stevey
04-20-2002, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by -KEN-
>>and anyway, ive got a 10" scar now

Huh? What's that from? I didn't think they took the organs from you til you were dead! :p

:) I was a 'live' donor you puddin 'ead !!:)

to me you see, being a donor after you're dead is easy !!! try it when you're alive, its a far harder thing to do !!!

actually i think the scar was where i was stabbed by 6 thugs when i stopped them mugging an old lady.
yeah thats it, thats a good one !!

doubleanti
04-20-2002, 01:10 PM
>its a far harder thing to do !!!

the true thrill seeker...

DrakkenKorin
04-20-2002, 05:39 PM
:) i bet you guys had some good lines in "gallows humour"!!!
did u get corpses farting and sitting up etc !!

We'd get the occasional corpse letting one rip, but we do have some stories!

I'll let you in on a little secret, most embalmers have theme songs! Mine was Sade's "Smooth Operator", but I when I would sing it (when embalming), it would be "Smooth Aspirator". :D

Then there were those times when nothing was going on and me and the other apprentice would play Masters of the Universe with the Trocars.

Then there was that time I gave the dead guy an erection....

:eek:

stevey
04-20-2002, 07:14 PM
>>>>>Then there was that time I gave the dead guy an erection....

if you were homosexual that would be quite something to brag about !!!!!! "ooohh sweetie, i'm so hot, last night i even gave a DEAD guy WOOD !!":)

edit: or are you a lady ?? same case anyway !!

what are Trocars by the way??????

DrakkenKorin
04-21-2002, 08:36 AM
if you were homosexual that would be quite something to brag about !!!!!!
I am, and I do brag about giving a dead guy an erection, although I think it does more harm than good. People probably think I'm a necrophiliac.

"ooohh sweetie, i'm so hot, last night i even gave a DEAD guy WOOD !!":)
I said I was gay, not a queen. There IS a difference. :p

Anyway, here's the story on the erection...
When embalming (i.e. injecting embalming fluid (herein call 'juice')), it is the goal of every embalmer (or good embalmer) to get good distibtution (i.e. juice flowing into every blood vessel). Well there are blood vessels in the penis, if and when you 'achieve' good distribution, an erection is achieved. Why? Well, when you're living, and male, an erection is achieved when blood rushes into the blood vessels in the penis. So you get the same effects wether it be blood or juice.

what are Trocars by the way??????
A trocar is an instrument that embalmers use to aspirate the contetnts of the larger organs (i.e. stomach, lungs, bladder, kidneys, heart, blah, blah...). It basically looks like a long pipe (in varying lengths, usually about 2 ft) about an inch in diamter that ends in a point with several slits.

While aspirating I would usually sing my song (see one of the above posts) and do a little dance number around the body.

frenchfry164
04-21-2002, 03:09 PM
I knew messing with dead people was sick, but, ewww, thats not right

stevey
04-22-2002, 09:30 AM
>>>>I said I was gay, not a queen. There IS a difference.

:D and i thought all gay men minced about singing YMCA all day, with their hand on hip !!!:)

some people get all the best jobs anyway !!!!! :)

at least youve proved, once you're dead you're just a piece of meat only good as worm food and amusement and distaste !!
so if you're dead you may as well have given any or all of your organs to help your fellow man !!
then be cremated to save morgue people/ embalmers any grief !!!

i think i'm gonna be cremated anyway..... after reading your posts i think anybody would be inclined to

DrakkenKorin
04-22-2002, 08:30 PM
i think i'm gonna be cremated anyway..... after reading your posts i think anybody would be inclined to

You and me both!

Hell I know what goes on back there, and they aren't doing it to me! Just put me in a cheap box and grill me!

:D

cozman
04-23-2002, 09:12 PM
actually i think the scar was where i was stabbed by 6 thugs when i stopped them mugging an old lady.

I really think telling the truth (sort of) is a good policy.. just say you gave a kidney to some dying orphan, or a backstreet boy or whatever works, that way you can take it back later.. "did i say dying orphan.. i meant sibling"

stevey
04-24-2002, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by cozman

I really think telling the truth (sort of) is a good policy.. just say you gave a kidney to some dying orphan, or a backstreet boy or whatever works, that way you can take it back later.. "did i say dying orphan.. i meant sibling"

:) not a bad idea. but i'm now leaning towards the idea of it being caused by flying schrapnel. ie i'm a war hero, ive always wanted to be one, except i was frightened of being killed !!! i could get a Royal Marine tatoo to back it up. !!

there was a kid, asking for advice on pulling gals.......my advice is give a kidney, make sure you get a nice big scar (not this namby - pamby keyhole surgery !!) and join a gym or go swimming so everyone can see it !!! works every time !!

maybe he'll think thats a bit drastic !!:)