PDA

View Full Version : Linux and serial cable question

Hannwaas
04-16-2002, 01:04 PM
Ok, here's the situation: I have two computers, one running Windows XP and with a modem and another running Windows 95 without a modem.
Now, I'm thinking of installing Red Hat 7.1 on the last (w95) machine but I want to know whether it's possible to access the modem on the other computer using a serial (null modem) cable? If someone knows anything about this, please give detailed instructions as I'm not a linux pro. Also, is it possible to access a printer via a null modem cable?

ygfperson
04-16-2002, 01:47 PM
you can use a linux box to connect to the internet and share the connection with other connected computers. in windows it's called internet connection sharing(ICS). set that up on windows (comes with win98se, maybe 2000 too). there should be a help file on it. then configure the linux box with the info you have after installing ics on the windows machine. simple in theory, but it ICS has a tendency to screw up (at least in win98se).

as for anything with a null cable.... i dunno. the above should work with an ethernet connection.

Hannwaas
04-18-2002, 10:07 AM
Ok, thanks. One more question though:
Anyone know how to setup ics under windows xp?

ygfperson
04-18-2002, 02:35 PM
there should be something in the windows help files. (yes, they actually provide help this time.) there was for win98se. i don't know for sure.

shtarker
04-18-2002, 07:04 PM
>>Anyone know how to setup ics under windows xp?

Just run the network configuration wizard.
Tell it that "this computer connects to the net and other computers connect through it"
No configuration is needed to use a shared connection on a linux machine, once the network is working.